Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 AM

270 posts, read 969,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
It also has to do with the type of people you are. My neighborhood (pretty large, probably about 300 houses), was all White until an Indian family moved in. We were very nice, said hi... but they just didn't want anything to do with us. Now they have 6-7 cars, and I would say at LEAST 15 people living there.

I would say that now, any new Indian family moving in wouldn't get treated so well, because these folks have turned out to be messy, and are probably driving house prices down.

Make sure that you set a good precedent, be a good neighbor, stay clean, don't do anything crazy to your landscaping or house, don't have 4 families living at your house, and you will be liked.

It's the 21st century, people are open-minded and accepting, just don't blow it.
Right, because skin color dictates how everyone else who happens to share that physical trait will act.

C'mon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
So if a white family moved in and was messy and had a lot of people living in their house, you wouldn't be nice to the next white family that moved in?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:11 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I have always welcomed my neighbours no matter where they come from. Since I moved here, we have had three new neighbours just next door.

d
That can be taken in a few ways.

I can hear the real estate person now. "Yes this is a popular house. We seem to sell it quite a lot, though new owners come in, we never see them leave. Ever since they (points to okaydorothy's house) moved in. Verrrry strange."

Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
That's right, who needs real neighbors when you can have the ones right here on C-D/LI! It's a virtual block party every day of the week!

Welcome!
Woohoo!!! Who brought the chips?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 AM

316 posts, read 989,672 times
jpg71 - I am about 1/4 mile south of Stop&Shop off of Laurel Rd. To clarify, the neighbors that had initially been stand-offish are more neighborly now. They do respond to hellos, etc..

Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM

5 posts, read 11,581 times
This is exactly what I was looking for, as in what is the stereo type for us east indians ? Because depending on what it is, its going to work for us or against us in the new place. My experience in apartments was pretty good, and people are/were nice, but the good thing is that even if I had bad experience, I could just pack and leave.
I have looked at some of the other posts over the past couple of days and it seems like one group will send my children to the Spelling Bee (which is great and I would not mind it at all) and the other will count cars and number of people living inside (which is not that good). So just give me your frank opinion as I have to deal with it at some point of time, might as well do it now and know beforehand what to expect.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 AM

90 posts, read 296,357 times
Last family to move in next door to me in Kings Park about 4-5 months ago is the last family I will be welcoming EVER. We left them a bottle of champagne and a card welcoming them into the neighborhood, they thanked my wife, never said anything to me about it and when I tried to be friendly and say hello to them outside one day I was totally blown off. So I have really never even had a conversation with them at all. I couldn't believe how cold they acted, since then I don't even wave to them anymore and they don't wave either....Real Nice HuH? It seems to me that way too many people nowadays are just rude and only care about themselves and have no manners and such.

I also have a recently new neighbor directly behind me as well, who also turns out to be a real winner. Arrogant, Know it all etc.........Cut every thing down between us (no more privacy in my backyard)..I hate to be this way, but, I am being forced too! No more welcomes from me.
BTY not "ONE" person welcomed my family when we moved in, so I can't say that "I" did not try to do the right thing.

I have had it with Long Island and can't wait to get out of here as soon possible. I have only been in my house a little over 9 years but I sure have seen alot of changes in that short time. Only 16 more years to go

Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy27 View Post
This is exactly what I was looking for, as in what is the stereo type for us east indians ? Because depending on what it is, its going to work for us or against us in the new place. My experience in apartments was pretty good, and people are/were nice, but the good thing is that even if I had bad experience, I could just pack and leave.
I have looked at some of the other posts over the past couple of days and it seems like one group will send my children to the Spelling Bee (which is great and I would not mind it at all) and the other will count cars and number of people living inside (which is not that good). So just give me your frank opinion as I have to deal with it at some point of time, might as well do it now and know beforehand what to expect.
You can choose your neighborhoods but not your neighbors. It is hard to tell what any neighbors reaction will be when someone (regardless of race) moves in. When I moved into my current residence nobody welcomed me and nobody really even acknowledged me even after I specifically would greet them. I do get a nod or a hello in return. And I am white, I don't have 50,000 cars and don't have 100,000 people living in my place. I'm in an apartment complex so maybe its just how people are or what they're used to. Certainly in my next place I will greet the neighbors and be friendly like I always am. I can't control how other people will treat me. I'll accept you as my neighbor regardless of what race you are.

My advice to you is choose the areas you want to live in, take a good look around and when you finally do move in, make an effort to greet the neighbors. A better idea is if you see a house that you are interested in, go back to the area and knock on the surrounding doors and say hi and ask them a few questions about the house (i.e. does the property flood, how is the school district, do they know anything about the house, etc....). If they do not wish to speak to you, then at least you know and you made the effort to be friendly. You can change how you react to neighbors, but you can't change how they'll react to you.

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM

259 posts, read 454,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
It also has to do with the type of people you are. My neighborhood (pretty large, probably about 300 houses), was all White until an Indian family moved in. We were very nice, said hi... but they just didn't want anything to do with us. Now they have 6-7 cars, and I would say at LEAST 15 people living there.

I would say that now, any new Indian family moving in wouldn't get treated so well, because these folks have turned out to be messy, and are probably driving house prices down.

Make sure that you set a good precedent, be a good neighbor, stay clean, don't do anything crazy to your landscaping or house, don't have 4 families living at your house, and you will be liked.

It's the 21st century, people are open-minded and accepting, just don't blow it.

Are you saying the people in your neighborhood are going to judge any other Indians (or Indian looking people) based on their experience with this one family?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,079 times
Do you have kids? I think when you have kids you tend to meet more of your neighbors with children. All my neighbors with kids are buddy buddy.

Honestly, I'm one of those 'standoffish' neighbors. I'll say hi if I see my neighbors out and wave if I drive by, but I'm not really interested in striking up a conversation. Color, ethnicity or sexual orientation doesn't matter to me - I still don't wanna talk. When I finally drag my carcass home from work, I want to retreat from the world and not smile at everyone (I'm an office secretary for 19 people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island