Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 PM

520 posts, read 1,645,577 times

Advertisements

Due to the rain I went in my basement to see if there was any water. Luchily there isn't. Unfortunately, when I was in my basement I noticed some puddling around my heater and noticed a strong oil smell. What seems strange to me is that my house is gas - not oil. Then it struck me. We had someone come to properly abandon the old in ground storage tank(sellers had to do as part of contract). Can this cause the leak? Could the old plumbing still be in place and push the oil back into my house/basement when they were abandoning it? What the hell do I do? Is this safe or am I going to die? It wasn't a large puddle. Maybe 5" round.

This is a little scary. I will be calling the company that did the work. Is there anyone else I should call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 AM

9,915 posts, read 23,020,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
Due to the rain I went in my basement to see if there was any water. Luchily there isn't. Unfortunately, when I was in my basement I noticed some puddling around my heater and noticed a strong oil smell. What seems strange to me is that my house is gas - not oil. Then it struck me. We had someone come to properly abandon the old in ground storage tank(sellers had to do as part of contract). Can this cause the leak? Could the old plumbing still be in place and push the oil back into my house/basement when they were abandoning it? What the hell do I do? Is this safe or am I going to die? It wasn't a large puddle. Maybe 5" round.

This is a little scary. I will be calling the company that did the work. Is there anyone else I should call?
Did you confirm that it is indeed oil?
If so, how long ago was your closing and when did they abandon the oil tank?

Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 AM

It smells and looks like oil when I cleaned it up with paper towels. We have never had this smell before. We closed on the house June 1 2009 and they came yesterday July 29th to abandon the tank.
It seem likely that these are tied together somehow.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 AM

9,915 posts, read 23,020,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
It smells and looks like oil when I cleaned it up with paper towels. We have never had this smell before. We closed on the house June 1 2009 and they came yesterday July 29th to abandon the tank.
It seem likely that these are tied together somehow.
Was money left in escrow to take care of the abandonment?
Since this was just done, I would contact the company that did it and ask for someone to come back and check things out and also notify the attorney, just to "go on record", in the unlikely event this turns into something more serious. it could be that when they removed a pipe (?), a little bit of oil leaked out - nothing more.
Good luck!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 AM

Yes, they left $100k in escrow to get this done. They didn't come inside of my house. Everything was done on the outside. Were they supposed to remove the old plumbing? All they did, I think, was fill the tank with foam and then concrete at the top. They also cut off the vent pipe and filled it with concrete.

Thank for your help.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,307,965 times
Did you clean the puddle up completely ? Monitor it to see if it does not spread or more oil is not coming in.
I'm not sure how this works, but before they fill the tank with foam or tank, they are supposed to suck all the oil out, maybe a little was left and it ended up through the pipes near your boiler ?
Regardless, the company needs to come back and look at this stuff, make sure they fix it. And if it was completely the sellers responsibility then make sure the additional expense comes out of the escrow (wow $100k escrow is huge !!)

Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 AM

We we're about to walk out of the closing because they had no paperwork showing the abandonment, which is why there was $100k in escrow.

My whole house also stinks of oil since it is by my heater and I'm guessing the smell is traveling through the duct work.

Last edited by mambwe; 07-30-2009 at 07:50 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 AM

551 posts, read 1,567,477 times
When the tank is abandoned, the oil lines from the tank that go through the side of your foundation are left in place -- you will probably see one or two copper lines anout 3/8 inch thick coming through the foundation wall, about 2/3 way up opposite where the tank was. There is no reason to take these out and risk foundation leakage.

If the supply lines are there, I suspect that some water or oil on the bottom of the tank was forced out the supply lines when the foam expanded. You definitely should monitor the situation.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,304,262 times
Couldn't they just seal up the lines that are in the basement?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:43 AM

I just spoke to the company and they are sending a guy. They are assuming that the supply lines were never capped which is why the oil was leaking in the basement. It seems like the leak is under the heater so I am not sure how they will access this without moving the heater around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island