U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 10,530 times
All I can say Is Shirley has allot of Blighted homes, tons of crime, and section 8 welfare trash living in that town and Mastic the other trashy ghetto in Suffolk. If you like Broken beer bottles, crack and heroin addicts Shirley & Mastic is the town for you. Add in all the illegal apartments it really is a shanty area to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:20 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,124,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytee1961 View Post
All I can say Is Shirley has allot of Blighted homes, tons of crime, and section 8 welfare trash living in that town and Mastic the other trashy ghetto in Suffolk. If you like Broken beer bottles, crack and heroin addicts Shirley & Mastic is the town for you. Add in all the illegal apartments it really is a shanty area to live.

Oh...I think its Beverly Hills.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:41 AM

149 posts, read 122,887 times
I've been to the Shirley/Mastic area to visit a friend on the 4th of July. A group of like 4 black thugs in du rags were just roaming around randomly drinking 40's of malted liquor out of paper bags. Just another day there from what I hear.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:39 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,948,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
I've been to the Shirley/Mastic area to visit a friend on the 4th of July. A group of like 4 black thugs in du rags were just roaming around randomly drinking 40's of malted liquor out of paper bags. Just another day there from what I hear.
Blacks make up such a tiny percentage of the population of Mastic/Shirley so I hope you're not trying to imply that Mastic is the way it is b/c of Blacks!

I'm not denying you saw that but i've seen Whites drinking down William Flyd Pkwy when I have to go over there.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 10-22-2011 at 04:50 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 09:40 AM

3,318 posts, read 3,504,361 times
The Black population is actually around that of Suffolk as a whole: About 7%, so they're not really a tiny percentage (that would imply something like 1 or 2%), but there aren't a whole lot of Blacks there.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:21 AM

7 posts, read 10,530 times
Mastic & Shirley 2 areas in Suffolk you can't be outside when the lights go out. Lots of 1/2 way houses, Lots of section 8 HUD homes, lots of absentee slum landlords, the area is plaques by shanty homes, homeless, drugs, Gangs are moving in to this area and the Indian reservation is more like the bloods and crips and MS13.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:30 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,124,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytee1961 View Post
Mastic & Shirley 2 areas in Suffolk you can't be outside when the lights go out. Lots of 1/2 way houses, Lots of section 8 HUD homes, lots of absentee slum landlords, the area is plaques by shanty homes, homeless, drugs, Gangs are moving in to this area and the Indian reservation is more like the bloods and crips and MS13.

Ok this is even too far for me.

I have lived in Shirley for 20 years and it is not THAT bad. It is not unsafe. yes there is a lot of white trash, a lot of unkept homes, Slumlords. Sure. But gangs? a lot of violence? reservation like bloods and crypts? Or "crips" as you spell it- NO.

Pure fiction.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 970 times
We lived in North Shirley Triangle from 1974- 1987. Brookhaven Lab was my nightmare. We had much trouble selling our house to move. At the time the lab had three nuclear reactors and had dumped the waste products in the rear of their facility. During the early 80's I walked in back of the lab to find an area about 2 acres in size where nothing grew not even weeds. I had the water at my home tested in 1986 by the health dept. but they were only looking for Bacteria. After moving I found out my young wife had advanced cancer and passed away from it three weeks later. Stony Brook Hospital surgeons and pathologists could not tell me what caused the five large tumors that destroyed her liver. At that time Charles Walters school closed for a while because three young teachers in their twenties died of aggressive cancers .I know around that same time a task force tested water of the Peconic River where it empties into Flanders Bay and they found Plutonium in the river. I wonder if that started the Brown Tide which decimated the Bay Scallops? Then after the problem of tainted water plumes migrating South and East. They put in public water closed the 3 reactors but never admit there was a problem. Just because you may have lived there too and didn't have a health problem doesn't mean it didn't happen. Moderator cut: e-mail address removed. have people DM you instead .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-15-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 AM

38 posts, read 29,756 times
A guy I used to work with for years lived on Propose Road in Shirley, and swore up and down that it was the nicest place in the world to live. He claimed Shirley had a bad rap because, in his words, "People haven't been here."

Then, in the same conversation, he would complain about the homeless guys living in the woods near his house.

So...yeah.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:42 PM

999 posts, read 1,189,622 times
That's why the govt plays up global warming so you won't worry about things like BHNL , no.one else will believe that though, and eat the deer off that property will kill you too.

Told them to just back fill that river , don't see dick a talking about that , he'll lose how he makes money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island