U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:55 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,881,500 times

Advertisements

There are parts of north shirley that are really just middle class blue collar neighborhoods, in my opinion the closer you go to mastic the worse it gets.
Part of north shirley(also called east yapank) sometimes goes to Longwood schools which actually rank higher than William Floyd schools.
I live north of Shirley in Ridge on the Wading River border & our town is very blue collar too, nobody here hires contrctors to do anything. All of the men in my neighborhood(including my husband) are tradesmen.
Everyone has to start out somewhere, I think shirley is better than a few other places.
Are you buying or renting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 11:20 AM

70 posts, read 8,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
There are parts of north shirley that are really just middle class blue collar neighborhoods, in my opinion the closer you go to mastic the worse it gets.
Part of north shirley(also called east yapank) sometimes goes to Longwood schools which actually rank higher than William Floyd schools.
I live north of Shirley in Ridge on the Wading River border & our town is very blue collar too, nobody here hires contrctors to do anything. All of the men in my neighborhood(including my husband) are tradesmen.
Everyone has to start out somewhere, I think shirley is better than a few other places.
Are you buying or renting?

Ok, North Shirley is not so bad. I just wouldnt want to live so close to south Shirley/Mastic.

Just an FYI for the person looking.
Whenever you see a town prefaced by a direction (North/South...), and they all share the same zip code, it usually means one area is desperately trying to set themselves apart from another.

i.e. North Bellport, same zip as Bellport Village. Bellport Village has million dollar RE. North Bellport is like 90% public assistance.

North Patchogue has some great neigborhoods, but lock your doors in South Patchogue. Same zip code. 11772

Ever notice there is no North Smithtown, or South St. James?

Old 11-06-2006, 11:50 PM

31 posts, read 113,988 times
Thanks to Bush, who the heck isnt a low income blue collar these days ? yes, he has finally united us all, in poverty. !

Old 11-08-2006, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,083 times
Default Shirley

Beware of the Shirley/Mastic area. If you have kids, definately don't move into that school district - check it out on the internet. This is a high crime/depressed and depressing area. Close proximity to the beach is the only plus. Move to a town close but still somewhat affordable, try to live on the north shore if possible. See if you can get a login to the Daniel Gale real estate website so you can check out housing and tax prices.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:54 PM

39 posts, read 107,970 times
I live in the Mastic area and I will tell you there are some really beautiful parts with half to 1 acre land with nice colonials etc and then there are other areas that are very poor. My husband works in law enforcement and has told me if you stay away from the reservation and down neighborhood road you are fine.There is a lot of crime there but it is a very small area.My kids go to william floyd and granted they are young but I have been very pleased.You will hear people knock this area that have never even stepped foot in the town. I had and have the same responses when I tell people where I live.I used to live in Medford and i can tell you there are bad sorts and welfare no matter where you go.The only place exempt is the north shore but not everyone can afford it.People seem to forget that.Houses are 400K plus easily.Anyway I have had nieces and nephews go through the school system and graduate and have done great and gone on to college and beyond.Dont let snobbery steer you away from this area.I live in a nice middle class area with really great neighbors who take care of there houses .Like I said there are a couple of areas to steer clear of but other than that you will be fine.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 12,161 times
Default Shirley

I lived in north shirley for twenty + years. I grew up on decator ave off flower hill. I will never move back to many drugs crime and the schools are not that good. I went to longwood high school Let me tell you A lot of drugs. The 7-11 was filled with kids on drugs and drinking I know I was one of them. Most of my friends from there are dead or in jail or hooked on drugs. I thank god every day i moved out of there. If you want to move out east on long island think north shore.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 AM

39 posts, read 107,970 times
Everyone is not on drugs! That is such a sweeping statement! If you didnt like it and wanted to move thats your choice.But people make this area sound like the inner city.This is a suburb with some bad areas.Some areas have beautiful 4 and 5 bedroom colonials and some have little ranches.South of Neighborhood road has a lot of old summer cottages.It is not as beautiful as the hamptons or the north shore but it still is nice.I grew up in Lawrence in a very rich area and there were stoners hanging out at the local 7-11.So what does that mean?Drugs are everywhere.If someone wants to move to Long Island sometimes they cannot afford the other areas with 12000 a year taxes.We have been trying to improve this area but the bias will always be there.I am so tired of people bashing this area but say nothing about Freeport,Brentwood,Bellport,CI etc etc. There are good and bad parts of all these towns just like there are in the Mastic/Shirley area. I dont like the generalization that the entire area is a cesspool.My children are doing excellent at Floyd school district.If anyone is interested in this area feel free to pm me and i'll help as much as I can.

Also I have 3 nieces and 2 nephews that have graduated from Floyd in the last 10 years and somehow are still alive,working or still going to college,not hooked on drugs and not selling their bodies on the corner.Amazing luck or just exagerations from these posters?

Old 12-29-2006, 06:25 PM

47 posts, read 115,687 times
I lived in North Shirley for 19 years. Everyone loves to bash it, but I had an adorable little, affordable house on three quarters of an acre and very nice neighbors. The ocean beach is great and there is a beautiful park with a lake for boating and horse backriding. Tons of stores and the LIRR. You're close to to Sunrise Hwy and the LI Expressway for commuting. As the others have said, I would stay away from Neighborhood Rd down in Mastic Beach and Mastic if you can.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,161 times
Smile Shirley

Yes Shirley sucks! Not a good town to raise children in. Yes not all the people are bad but there is a good amount. You can say what you want but its not a good town. That is why they built that new police station there. Please what ever you do dont go to the Indian Reservation you will most likely get shot. My parents even thought it was a bad place to live, but when they bought the house in 1974 it wasnt that bad. I know for a fact in the 80's and 90's it was bad!
Let me tell you most parents dont know there kids are taking drugs untill its to late.
Life is so much better out of New York this is a big country! Talk about a culture shock even the people are much nicer out of Long Island !

Old 01-13-2007, 08:07 AM

129 posts, read 395,640 times
Default I'm sorry but

Shirley is NOT a nice area. Actually one of the worst on LI.
You may be able to find a decent home for less money but as far as schools and crime rate. Not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island