Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say there all exactly the same, but you'll find more illegals hanging at 7-11's and other venues in setauket and sayville, port jeff, coram, mount sinia, lindenhurst, deer park.....what area doesn't have it?
Even the north shore everyone finds so appealing and talks up as great....anyone that has there eyes open going thru kings park, or the entire length of pulaski rd... northport.. huntington...just about any side rd from pulaski down to the lie all has issues..
It's everywhere, everyone has to stop driving with blinders on, im not going to say shirley and mastic are like rockville center...rockville center is 6 times as populated...BUT if you're saying it's better just because then i would say you aren't paying close attention.

Though i would agree with saying shirley and mastic and mastic beach have made a huge turn around over the past 5 years, more so then any other neighborhood, and that is due to everyone selling there summer homes getting in on the big housing profit..

I 1st moved to lindenhurst from Howard beach, then to Coram, then to Port Jeff... not one thing different than any other, since then i have looked at many neighborhoods, some are more hilly then others, some more open, some more packed in.....they all have there drug users, there run down pos houses and rental bs, illegals...
When you really spend time looking thru an area like i do spending hours driving thru every street taking your time and at different hours...you'll agree it's all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
I wouldn't say there all exactly the same, but you'll find more illegals hanging at 7-11's and other venues in setauket and sayville, port jeff, coram, mount sinia, lindenhurst, deer park.....what area doesn't have it?
Even the north shore everyone finds so appealing and talks up as great....anyone that has there eyes open going thru kings park, or the entire length of pulaski rd... northport.. huntington...just about any side rd from pulaski down to the lie all has issues..
It's everywhere, everyone has to stop driving with blinders on, im not going to say shirley and mastic are like rockville center...rockville center is 6 times as populated...BUT if you're saying it's better just because then i would say you aren't paying close attention.

Though i would agree with saying shirley and mastic and mastic beach have made a huge turn around over the past 5 years, more so then any other neighborhood, and that is due to everyone selling there summer homes getting in on the big housing profit..

I 1st moved to lindenhurst from Howard beach, then to Coram, then to Port Jeff... not one thing different than any other, since then i have looked at many neighborhoods, some are more hilly then others, some more open, some more packed in.....they all have there drug users, there run down pos houses and rental bs, illegals...
When you really spend time looking thru an area like i do spending hours driving thru every street taking your time and at different hours...you'll agree it's all the same.
I suppose everyone is entitled to their own perspective on things. I would not put Port Jeff (not station) in the same category as Lindenhurst or Coram, no matter the time of night you drive through. I know and have visited friends and family in all of these areas but each one of them sitting on a couch together, if asked which of their three areas was better would hands down choose Port Jeff...or setauket versus deer park, etc. I think the north shore thing stems from there being a prevalence of nicer towns along the northern most parts of the island. And I think that is true. I am not a native long islander, so I am not trying to defend the home turf of my youth. As for the reference to Pulaski, etc..any area in and around industrial areas tends to be a little more worn down...but these also tend to be areas that regular working folks can afford. Not sure that is such a bad thing. Good luck to you LIMA out east.
Peace,
JRP

Old 02-19-2008, 11:09 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I suppose everyone is entitled to their own perspective on things. I would not put Port Jeff (not station) in the same category as Lindenhurst or Coram, no matter the time of night you drive through. I know and have visited friends and family in all of these areas but each one of them sitting on a couch together, if asked which of their three areas was better would hands down choose Port Jeff...or setauket versus deer park, etc. I think the north shore thing stems from there being a prevalence of nicer towns along the northern most parts of the island. And I think that is true. I am not a native long islander, so I am not trying to defend the home turf of my youth. As for the reference to Pulaski, etc..any area in and around industrial areas tends to be a little more worn down...but these also tend to be areas that regular working folks can afford. Not sure that is such a bad thing. Good luck to you LIMA out east.
Peace,
JRP
Now you see you have an opinion based only on one small very few block area in PJ station, pj station is not 100 miles from any issues every town on long island has.

I don't judge a neighborhood on 8 or 12 blocks, i make a judgement on a neighborhood by the entire neighborhood.
This is why i say nothing on long island is perfect you can find every issue in every area... It's not like being in south queens and then going to south brooklyn or brooklyn north... even though listening to people explain and paint the picture of the island they'll have you believe wyandanch and gordon hieghts are the same...not even close to a comparison....

I don't defend my home turf, i tell the truth of what i see...In fact i love listening to people say how great the neighborhood is, it simply tells me there all blind, or keep themselves on lock down, it's not very bad, but considering how it was when i grew up and then they claim it hasn't changed...there out of there minds, truly.... The old neighborhood is still somewhat better then some issues out here, but it has others that aren't here, making the trade off worth while.
Looking at why i moved here and what the island was then and now...totaly different, and for some of us everything is gone that we moved here for

Old 04-14-2008, 10:14 PM

5 posts, read 21,852 times
Default Whats the story with the river >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
For those who may not be familiar with Shirley:

Shirley is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the southeast part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the south-central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Shirley in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Yaphank and the Hamlet of Manorville; on the east by the Hamlet of Manorville, the Hamlet of Mastic and the Hamlet of Mastic Beach; on the south by Bellport Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Brookhaven and the Hamlet of Yaphank.

The Hamlet of Shirley has a different border than does the "Shirley, NY 11967" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Shirley, NY 11967" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Shirley and a place can have other than a "Shirley, NY 11967" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Shirley): places that have a "Shirley, NY 11967" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Shirley are in the Hamlet of Mastic and the Hamlet of Mastic Beach; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Shirley with a "Mastic, NY 11950" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

I figured you may be the expert on this.
I frequently pass by the sign for the river that passes under Montauk highway near the kayak rental place...It reads 'Carman (sp) or Connecticut river. What does that mean??? Is it one or the other? Only lived here 1 1/2 years and I have been going crazy trying to figure it out. Also---what constitutes "Tangiers" in Shirley?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolewithane View Post
I figured you may be the expert on this.
I frequently pass by the sign for the river that passes under Montauk highway near the kayak rental place...It reads 'Carman (sp) or Connecticut river. What does that mean??? Is it one or the other? Only lived here 1 1/2 years and I have been going crazy trying to figure it out. Also---what constitutes "Tangiers" in Shirley?

Thank you for the compliment.

With a little help from Wikipedia:

The Carmans River, which was earlier once called the Connecticut River (in connection with early settlers from Connecticut that arrived in the area in the 1600s) is named for Samuel Carman who married into milling families on the river in the 1800s and operated a hunting club for residents of New York City.

Tangier is named for William "Tangier" Smith (February 2, 1655-February 18, 1705) who was a mayor of Tangier, Morocco and an early settler of America and who owned more than 50 miles of Atlantic Ocean waterfront property in central Long Island, in what was called the Manor of St. George.

In 1686, Smith received land grants from Thomas Dongan, 2nd Earl of Limerick who had been named Provincial Governor of New York (Dongan had been Lieutenant-Governor of Tangier during Smith's stay there) and supplemented it with large purchases of Native American land.

On May 25, 1691, Smith purchased a large chunk of the land that is now the Town of Brookhaven from John Mayhew of the Unkechaug Nation. In exchange, the Unkechaugs were given title to 175 acres, which has now be reduced to 55 acres in Poospatuck Reservation, New York -- the smallest reservation in New York State.

Smith eventually accumulated more than 81,000 acres stretching from Riverhead in the northeast to the Carmans River at Shirley in the southwest. Additionally, he was given title to all of Fire Island.

Later, the then Colonial Governor Benjamin Fletcher granted Smith a patent to establish a manor on the land which was to be called Manor of St. George.

Smith was to oversee the Manor from land he had bought earlier in Setauket.

After Smith's death, his heirs built a house on Bellport Bay that today is called the "Manor of St. George." A peninsula sticking into Narrow Bay connecting Bellport with Moriches Bay is called Smith's Point and is the source of the name for Smith Point County Park. The names of "Smith", "Manor" and "Tangier" are used extensively as place names throughout the Town of Brookhaven.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,683 times
Default Why must people bash this area

I lived here 8 years ago and loved my neighborhood. I only had issues with my neighbor behind me. Anyway, went througha divorce and had to sell my home. I have since remarried and have just bought a home again in Mastic. Different neighborhood and area. I have only been in the house 5 days and have already had two very friendly neighbors introduce themselves.
Yeah it is a lower income area. My husband busts his butt and this is the only place I can afford a home since I have a child from a previous marriage. My block and many around me are very nice. I agree the area has changed for the better. I wish people who do not live here would stop bashing the area.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:06 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddccc View Post
I lived here 8 years ago and loved my neighborhood. I only had issues with my neighbor behind me. Anyway, went througha divorce and had to sell my home. I have since remarried and have just bought a home again in Mastic. Different neighborhood and area. I have only been in the house 5 days and have already had two very friendly neighbors introduce themselves.
Yeah it is a lower income area. My husband busts his butt and this is the only place I can afford a home since I have a child from a previous marriage. My block and many around me are very nice. I agree the area has changed for the better. I wish people who do not live here would stop bashing the area.
This is a really old thread that was buried, now it will return for more people to bash Shirley.

I'm sure that most people in Shirley are law abiding honest folks, but the reputation of Shirley and Mastic have preceded them for decades. Growing up in the 70's in a lower middle class area in Central Suffolk, we could always look to Shirley as a place to bash, even then. I would not encourage anyone who moves to LI to move there. If all that you can afford on LI is in that area, I sympathize with you, and I would encourage you to start a new life in some other more affordable part of the country. Or, you can stick it out and hope that it gets better.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Moov View Post
Shirley you must be joking, lol. We used to call the neighboring town, Mastic, "The land of spacklers". Thats when it used to be filled with lower income blue collars. Now its mostly hold-outs from the old days, and public assistance. I don't know exactly how many towns there are on Long Island, but if there were say 153, you'd have 152 better choices Ok, I forgot about Wyandanch and North Bellport, so maybe 150 better choices.
This guy moved to Pa because he could not afford any of the places on long island!!PA is for n.y drop outs..

Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This is a really old thread that was buried, now it will return for more people to bash Shirley.

I'm sure that most people in Shirley are law abiding honest folks, but the reputation of Shirley and Mastic have preceded them for decades. Growing up in the 70's in a lower middle class area in Central Suffolk, we could always look to Shirley as a place to bash, even then. I would not encourage anyone who moves to LI to move there. If all that you can afford on LI is in that area, I sympathize with you, and I would encourage you to start a new life in some other more affordable part of the country. Or, you can stick it out and hope that it gets better.
Unfortunetly it is the only place that I can afford to buy a home. I have a child from a previous marriage from 10 years ago and I am not aloud to relocate to another state. Yeah maybe some people have the option of just getting out of NY but that is not the case for everyone. I had a garage sale this past weekend and the neoghbors from my entire block introduced themselves. Most of which have lived here since their house was built 35-40 years ago. All but 1 family was caucasian also!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Moov View Post
Shirley you must be joking, lol. We used to call the neighboring town, Mastic, "The land of spacklers". Thats when it used to be filled with lower income blue collars. Now its mostly hold-outs from the old days, and public assistance. I don't know exactly how many towns there are on Long Island, but if there were say 153, you'd have 152 better choices Ok, I forgot about Wyandanch and North Bellport, so maybe 150 better choices.
its nice to know that there people like you out there...maybe when all the "low class blue collars" move off of long island because they cant afford it you can learn to fix your own car, repair your own pluming, do you own electrical work and paint your own house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island