Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 9,009 times

Advertisements

Im looking to find out about the town of shirley new york. Its part of the town of brookhaven in suffolk county. I will be moving there in a few weeks and Id like some info on the area with regards to points of interest, shopping areas and areas of entertainment. Any info on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 07:45 AM

23 posts, read 62,182 times
I don't know where you're from but Shirley is not nearly one of the nicer n'hoods. You should really take a long look before you settle in Shirley-you can do much better.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:52 PM

58 posts, read 416,809 times
Default Shirley

The only thing it has is an airport.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:04 AM

104 posts, read 386,856 times
Depends on what street you're on! You may find nice homes on one street, and not so nice homes on the very next street.

My Grandfather, who is 86 years old and lives alone, had a new house built in Shirley a few years ago. I think it cost him no more than $110K. It's a small three bedroom house, but it's got a full basement, and it sits on a good sized piece of land on a quiet street with decent helpful neighbors. I don't know what the property taxes are or what he paid for the land.

I had an Aunt and Uncle that used to live in Mastic Beach. It's right next door to Shirley. They lived across from the water for about 35 years; they never had a problem. My Aunt passed away, and my uncle had a stroke, so they no longer occupy the house. However, my cousin took it over, and now lives there with his new wife.

Airports: There is no major airport in Shirley. However, the MacArthur airport is located in Ronkonkoma, about 35 minutes away.

Shopping: William Floyd Parkway has various stores, especially around the main street area. http://national.citysearch.com (broken link)... Plus, you're only about 40 minutes away from Tanger Outlets in Riverhead. http://www.tangeroutlet.com (broken link)

Points of Interest: Check out the William Floyd Estate. http://www.nps.gov/fiis/WilliamFloydEstate.htm Also, check out the wineries and farms further east. You won't believe you're in New York; very rural areas. And of course there is always the beach/Fire Island. Not to mention that you're within driving distance of many other great areas of Long Island.

Any more questions, feel free to drop me a message.

Last edited by New_Yorker; 08-13-2006 at 09:22 AM..

Old 08-28-2006, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 52,319 times
I am also interested in this data...can you please share whatever you find out? I am also re-locating out to that region...

Thanks!

Brooklyn-Shirley

Old 08-28-2006, 01:15 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Mastic has a nice diner and a movie theatre.
There is shopping along William Floyd. I assume you guys have been to the town, otherwise why would you pick to move there?

Old 08-29-2006, 02:16 PM

41 posts, read 171,085 times
Smile Long Island

I Live In Rocky Point Ny . Ther Is Alot Of Things To Do Go All The Only Thing Is You Need Transportation You Go To The East Towards The Hamptons Or You Go West There Are Plenty Of Things To Do . For Myself I Do Not Like Long Island , I Come From Brooklyn Ny . I Should Of Never Left. I Been Living On Long Island For 20 Or So Yrs . Call The Brookhaven Town They Will Send You A Booklet Of Things To Do In The Area. Good Luck.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
Im looking to find out about the town of shirley new york. Its part of the town of brookhaven in suffolk county. I will be moving there in a few weeks and Id like some info on the area with regards to points of interest, shopping areas and areas of entertainment. Any info on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
hello, center moriches resident-shirley nice in a.m.
w.f. parkway good for kohls , home depot, beach
n. shirley/yaphank very good-mastic,shirley careful p.m
l.i.e good travel, sunrise good-rush hour crowded
nightlife good -careful drink drive , strict laws even for 1 drink
if young hamptons p.m-otherwise very nice a.m - nice Chase lounge repectful mainstreet shirley/mastic
jones beach theater, big concerts-patchouge playhouse for theater,phony broadway. also cheap mainstreet shopping. good luck

Old 10-12-2006, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,995 times
Hi Janet, I dont know much about Shirley NY. My last name is Garraffa
and I was born in the Bronx, NY. My father Vito died when I was 5 years
old, and I looking for family members. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:35 PM

70 posts, read 85,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
Shirley you must be joking, lol. We used to call the neighboring town, Mastic, "The land of spacklers". Thats when it used to be filled with lower income blue collars. Now its mostly hold-outs from the old days, and public assistance. I don't know exactly how many towns there are on Long Island, but if there were say 153, you'd have 152 better choices Ok, I forgot about Wyandanch and North Bellport, so maybe 150 better choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island