Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 AM

49 posts, read 131,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I have no problems with immigrants. I do have a problem with those who break the law. If you want to come here, then do it legally.
I should have said "Illegal Immigration problem". Immigration in and of itself is not a problem, typically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:13 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grepman View Post
While I am not sure that I agree with this, it does bring this point to light:

How about addressing the policies that created this situation, instead of bashing individuals? The only reason we have an immigration problem is because businesses have decided that it's cheaper to break the law (hiring illegals), than to do business legitimately. What we need to do is find some way to incentivize the hiring of legal citizens, and more broadly, encourage businesses to keep jobs in the US. I am not saying that this is easy, but both sides waste a lot of time hurling insults at each other and never seem to get to the root of the problem.

You need to go back much farther than that. How about we address the problem about having open borders that, even after 9/11, have not been closed and properly secured.
And go back farther than that, how about immigration reform that actually makes it POSSIBLE to even come to this country legally. This has been discussed for the past 30 years, yet it has been ignored. It seems everyone's big arguement is that the influx is not "Legal". It's basically impossible to enter this country LEGALLY. Ask yourself if you don't believe me. It takes 20 years to legally obtain a green card, let alonwe the red tape and expense these people have to go through to enter the USA legally. It is much easier to enter illegally, especially since nobody is even trying to stop them! We now have Mexican drug Cartels operating in Arizona and Texas for chrissakes!
A big problem that has been ignored for a long time.
If your only thought is they are "Illegal", you are missing a much bigger picture.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I should have said "Illegal Immigration problem". Immigration in and of itself is not a problem, typically.

Yeah, if you are Italian and have family living here and you married a rich white girl than yes, it is easy to come here legally. Other than that, you are out of luck.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM

49 posts, read 131,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Yeah, if you are Italian and have family living here and you married a rich white girl than yes, it is easy to come here legally. Other than that, you are out of luck.
This is a bit off-topic, but "Immigration" as an issue is not a problem typically (vs illegal immigration). "Immigrating" (to the US) of course has many challeges; No doubt that the better off you are, the easier it is. Shouldn't be that way, but it's only one of many things that the well-to-do have an easier time with. Our current legal system being another example.

Back on topic, with regards to "scottzilla"s post: Without even getting to the border issues (which I admit are problematic to say the least), would it not be smart to address the likely incentives of folks coming here illegally? Specifically, if it was more profitable for US businesses (or less costly) to hire legal workers, then there would be no jobs for those coming illegally. That being the case, why come? Seems like a good place to start to try and find a solution to the problem.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM

I think it was Louis Black who suggested we buy Mexico. It's currently not for sale but hey-make an offer. You never know.
Jose wakes up one morning and Hector says, "Jose, where you going?"
Jose answers, "I'm going to America".
Hector says, "You're already here!"

Kinda solves the problem, huh?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
Specifically, if it was more profitable for US businesses (or less costly) to hire legal workers, then there would be no jobs for those coming illegally.
I'm sure this is the case on paper, "on paper" being the keyword. The US govt. (if it wants to) can drive you out of your business if you hire illegal workers. What happens in reality is a little different.

Its like allowing traffic to move at 70mph and above on LIE. "On paper" the police can give speeding tickets to everyone on the highway (speed limit = 55mph)

Old 08-04-2009, 01:14 PM

316 posts, read 989,672 times
I do not hate illegal aliens. They only come here because they can find work here. The problem here are the companies that knowingly hire illegals, and also the slumlords that illegally house them. If laws could actually be enforced...

Old 08-04-2009, 02:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
Yes, God forbid Steve Levy criticize people for breaking the law! Thankfully Newsday is ALWAYS ready to print up a sob story about how the poor ILLEGAL immigrants are being mistreated. The writer wonders what the people in the kitchen might have thought if they heard his joke (and it was a joke). I can guess what they would have thought-- " I don't understand a word that guy said because it is in English and I don't care to learn that language" And of course-- Never a mention of the taxes they don't pay.
Newsday never refers to them as what they are, illegal immigrants. Newsday just calls them "immigrants" and lumps them in as if they deserve the same respect legal immigrants are due.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:37 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,804 times
I never really paid attention to politics but levy is ruining suffolk, much like suozzi did nassau. I really dont want to get into it right now but is one cheap Mod cut: language.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-04-2009 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 AM

280 posts, read 603,771 times
Are they protesting right now in front of his office? Wonder how that is going...Illegal is illegal - the voices of illegal immigrants should not be too loud, demanding and aggressive. But professional SHOULD BE professional - the voices of our leaders should be loud, respectful, and wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island