U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM

7 posts, read 9,879 times

Advertisements

Diane Schuler called her brother becuase her husband was out of reach on his cell phone on a fishing trip that is what I read in the paper. They were to meet back at the house on Long Island in time for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,674,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
I am not sure, but many states, including Commonwealths have the homestead protection. I do not know how much they could garnish as a security guard. The sad part is that he has a son to raise and needs the money. Even though he was a young fella, he might suffer from PTSD, and he will grow up inevitably finding out the truth. That is the saddest part, children are so innocent.
This says you only get a $10000 exemption in NY.
Hubby needs to get in the White Bronco and drive erratically down to Miami and buy a McMansion, where he can join OJ in being able to claim unlimited homestead exemption.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 PM

I also found it odd that Diane Schuler's husband made it home before she did when he was on a fishing trip. But then I took into account the accident and investigating it probably took hours to do. But didn't he have to go on that parkway to go home? Even if he was traveling on the other side of the highway wouldn't he have been in a traffic jam or something? I also found it odd that Diane's brother called the police to report his sister was not feeling well and I thought he was very vage in his response on what his sister said I still find the whole terrible tragedy and the phone calls made and the cell phone being left very odd. But know her brother will have law suits against him becasue the van was registered to him so he not only lost his 3 daughters but will have many lawsuits against him

Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Thats what it sounds like I just can't belive that her husband would willingly let her drive home with herself and 5 children in the van if he knew she was drunk and stoned. If you drink vodka you can easily put it in your water bottle and let everyone think you are drinking water. When did she start drinking as soon as she woke up?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM

That is what I was asking also. Why is this tragedy turning into a race issue? I would of felt the same way about this tragedy and thought there had to be a under lying medical condition. Mothers black and white are suppose to protect there children and keep them from arms way not harm them. I would never of thought a mom black or white would drive stoned and drunk with 5 children in the car. THis has nothing to do with race.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 PM

135 posts, read 447,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What I don't understand how can they talk of filing criminal charges against the woman's relatives. She is dead and was an adult responsible for her actions. How can criminal charges be filed against anyone in such case? Even civil charges it is hard to understand as she is dead. But I assume civil charges can be filed against her estate.

Any one who knows that children are getting into a car to take a long ride with a driver that is drunk or high or both, is a criminal in my opinion.
Just as guilty as the driver. Who would allow such a thing. Those children were not solely in the care of that drunk crazy woman but of all who were there with them who might have possibly allowed this woman to drive knowing she had drunk or did drugs or both.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 PM

I was beginning to think it was suicide. I would never of thought that a Mother and Aunt would drive 5 children home from anywhere in the condition that she was in. I think people just did not think she could of been drunk at this time of day and becasue she was driving 5 children with her and when a tragedy such as this happens I beleive that people need to find a answer such as a mysterious medical condition totry and understand how a terrible tragedy like this could happen.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM

4,111 posts, read 12,776,094 times
No, he took another way home as his car had commercial plates and couldnt travel on the pky (article in today's NY Post)

<< The Schulers separately left the campgrounds at about 9:30 a.m. on July 26. Daniel was driving with the family dog in his Dodge pickup, while Diane was taking the children in her Ford Windstar minivan.
Daniel could not follow Diane onto any parkway because his truck has commercial plates.
"She was fine. She was the same old Diane she was every weekend," said Scott. "The last words I said were, 'Have a safe trip home.' " >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowbug123 View Post
I also found it odd that Diane Schuler's husband made it home before she did when he was on a fishing trip. But then I took into account the accident and investigating it probably took hours to do. But didn't he have to go on that parkway to go home? Even if he was traveling on the other side of the highway wouldn't he have been in a traffic jam or something? I also found it odd that Diane's brother called the police to report his sister was not feeling well and I thought he was very vage in his response on what his sister said I still find the whole terrible tragedy and the phone calls made and the cell phone being left very odd. But know her brother will have law suits against him becasue the van was registered to him so he not only lost his 3 daughters but will have many lawsuits against him

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 08-05-2009 at 10:47 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 AM

2,005 posts, read 5,109,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowbug123 View Post
I was beginning to think it was suicide. I would never of thought that a Mother and Aunt would drive 5 children home from anywhere in the condition that she was in. I think people just did not think she could of been drunk at this time of day and becasue she was driving 5 children with her and when a tragedy such as this happens I beleive that people need to find a answer such as a mysterious medical condition totry and understand how a terrible tragedy like this could happen.
It totally sounds like a suicide mission. It is so inconceivable to me that she would chug vodka, smoke pot while driving 3 hours to go home. It's not like she was on her way home from the bar (which would explain being drunk). There is just no way... I refuse to believe that a mother driving a van full of kids would do that. There's a lot missing from this story.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:13 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,077,163 times
Quote:
There's a lot missing from this story.
Agreed, there are alot of things that the public is not being told. Heck, I wouldent be suprised if the State Police investigators working the case were just as shocked as we were when they got the tox report back.

For example, did her family know she was a pothead and a alcoholic? I can see the suicide theory but why bring the kids along as well? Why do it in such a public fashion killing your daughter, 3 nieces, 3 innocent people and severely injuring your son - would you just rather shoot/slash/hang yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island