U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM

4,109 posts, read 12,671,516 times

Advertisements

Sounds like they're grasping at straws, her husband said they think she had a medical problem, possibly a tooth abscess, a stroke or diabetes - nonetheless a big bottle of vodka was found at the scene (no explanation about that) and there's talk she would drink to drown her sorrows (unhappy marriage and stressful job). There's no excuse for drinking and driving (and doing drugs), I just keep thinking about those poor kids - and the other 3 adults who perished. The husband mentioned possibly exhuming her body and doing a 2nd autopsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Did I just hear that Dominic Barbera (the Buttofuoco lawyer) was retained by the husband ? He supposedly said that there are major medical reasons why she would need to drink or something like that. What possible diagnosis would preclude the need to drink and drive on a highway with five children in the car?

Of course, he is holding a major news conference so that he will be able to maximize the publicity for himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 AM

3,773 posts, read 6,593,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Sounds like they're grasping at straws, her husband said they think she had a medical problem, possibly a tooth abscess, a stroke or diabetes - nonetheless a big bottle of vodka was found at the scene (no explanation about that) and there's talk she would drink to drown her sorrows (unhappy marriage and stressful job). He mentioned exhuming her body and doing a 2nd autopsy.
"they think"??? Um, your spouse should know if you have a medical problem or not. And if you did, and if it would impair your driving/judgement skills, your spouse would not let you drive let alone with your kids in the car.

There is wayyyyy more to this and its not being told.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:24 PM

15,268 posts, read 23,308,693 times
Dominic Barbara. Another smart move.

If you have a medical problem that requires you to drink then clearly.....wait for it....you shouldn't be DRIVING!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,593,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

If you have a medical problem that requires you to drink then clearly.....wait for it....you shouldn't be DRIVING!
But honey, I swear, Dr. Bob said I have a cold and to drink beer and watch the football game, at least 3 beers per quarter. Oh honey, could you go out and get me and Jim Bob some more beer?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,561 times
I can't wrap my head around all the people who can't wrap their head around it. People drink to excess and drive drunk with kids everywhere, at every income level, every neighborhood - and yes, every time of day. My own childhood tells me that. Wake up and smell the coffee people. These Lifetime movies don't come from nowhere. People are all I can't believe it, and I can't believe adults anywhere can't believe it. Drunks don't know about appropriate "innocent chlidren" and all that, if they're aggressive drunks.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 PM

15,268 posts, read 23,308,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynrefugee View Post
I can't wrap my head around all the people who can't wrap their head around it. People drink to excess and drive drunk with kids everywhere, at every income level, every neighborhood - and yes, every time of day. My own childhood tells me that. Wake up and smell the coffee people. These Lifetime movies don't come from nowhere. People are all I can't believe it, and I can't believe adults anywhere can't believe it. Drunks don't know about appropriate "innocent chlidren" and all that, if they're aggressive drunks.
Really? I must live in la-la land because I personally don't know anyone who has, or would, drive with an open bottle of vodka, to the point that their BAC got to .19, while smoking a joint, on a Sunday morning with 5 kids in the car. And I know quite a few people in many different parts of the country after 42 years on this planet. You must be hangin' with quite a crowd.

All sarcasm aside, if you can't get why this case is different from so many other cases, those that are known about and those that aren't (ie people who haven't been caught) then really, you're not reading the news carefully enough.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Loving mothers do not out of the blue become completely blitzed and smoke pot in front of their kids. She was obviously smoking and drinking IN THE CAR since she had unmetabolized alcohol and THC in her system, the amount of THC was consistent with smoking it within the last hour of her life. I highly highly doubt that this is the first time her kids were subjected to this behavior. It wasn't just a lapse in judgement, that would be the understatement of the century. It was 9:30 on a Sunday morning.

When this first happened I thought it might be that they were partying all night and she was still tipsy and/or hungover the next day. I don't think anyone can really wrap their mind around the fact that she was swiggin' vodka and sucking on a joint while tooling down the NYS Thruway with 5 kids under the age of 8 in the car. Imagine seeing that on your leisurely Sunday drive.
I can easily wrap my mind around it. Turns out the husband works evenings during the week, she works days. This weekend she had to be in her hubby's company the whole time, minding her p's and q's. She likely couldn't wait for him to drive off so she could start swigging from the vodka bottle.

If she did all her partying before 930, she wouldn't have been as drunk as she was by 1:30pm. She waited til he was gone.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,138,575 times
Quote:

Dominic Barbara will not be able to dispute exact medical science.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
"they think"??? Um, your spouse should know if you have a medical problem or not. And if you did, and if it would impair your driving/judgement skills, your spouse would not let you drive let alone with your kids in the car.

There is wayyyyy more to this and its not being told.
None of this stuff came out until the toxicology report either. The husband was grief stricken, sure, but never told the cops - she had an abscess, she had gestational diabetes, she was at high risk for stroke. No. It was all a big mystery til the toxicology report was issued, then the husband suddenly has a laundry list.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Really? I must live in la-la land because I personally don't know anyone who has, or would, drive with an open bottle of vodka, to the point that their BAC got to .19, while smoking a joint, on a Sunday morning with 5 kids in the car. And I know quite a few people in many different parts of the country after 42 years on this planet. You must be hangin' with quite a crowd.

All sarcasm aside, if you can't get why this case is different from so many other cases, those that are known about and those that aren't (ie people who haven't been caught) then really, you're not reading the news carefully enough.
I don't hang with quite the crowd. I come from middle-and-upper middle class suburbs. And everybody I know can believe this one. It's horrible, yes, it's extra stupid, yes, she had an aggressive personality when drunk, sure. But it is not uncommon for parents from a nice neighborhood to drive drunk with kids in the car. Maybe you don't live in La la land, maybe you need to open your eyes. This is not something that happens to "others". Thank God it doesn't result in this kind of tragedy all the time, although from time to time it does. Plenty of people are alive today who had a similar experience to those kids with someone like her at the wheel - a parent, a friend's parent, etc., and were lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island