U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2009, 01:08 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,409 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
It totally sounds like a suicide mission. It is so inconceivable to me that she would chug vodka, smoke pot while driving 3 hours to go home. It's not like she was on her way home from the bar (which would explain being drunk). There is just no way... I refuse to believe that a mother driving a van full of kids would do that. There's a lot missing from this story.
Does mother confer some kind of special wiring? Mother's are people. I believe one in four people in this country have an alcohol problem. Parenthood just means you have procreated.

I know plenty of people, nonparents, who would never get into a car with kids -- or anyone - if they had been partying. And I know irresponsible parents. I don't get the deification of motherhood or fatherhood, as if it elevates character, etc. Most really good parents I know were responsible people before becoming parents. Most irresponsible parents I know about showed signs before becoming parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM
 
167 posts, read 308,121 times
Reputation: 60
Somehow, I get a feeling we'll never know exactly what was happening in that family unless someone at that campsite starts singing like a canary. Whether the husband knew or not is a good question, but he seems ready to deny to the end by the looks of it. How she was smashed by 9:30 on a Sunday morning is very suspicious. SOMEONE must have known, unless she was a closet alcoholic, but my guess is because she smoked some weed too (a more communal drug), that she probably was partying hard at that campground and just never gave herself the time to sleep and/or sober up.

Then again it could have been the tooth abcess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 PM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
14,752 posts, read 22,421,383 times
Reputation: 10679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynrefugee View Post
I don't hang with quite the crowd. I come from middle-and-upper middle class suburbs. And everybody I know can believe this one. It's horrible, yes, it's extra stupid, yes, she had an aggressive personality when drunk, sure. But it is not uncommon for parents from a nice neighborhood to drive drunk with kids in the car. Maybe you don't live in La la land, maybe you need to open your eyes. This is not something that happens to "others". Thank God it doesn't result in this kind of tragedy all the time, although from time to time it does. Plenty of people are alive today who had a similar experience to those kids with someone like her at the wheel - a parent, a friend's parent, etc., and were lucky.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I KNOW it does. But come on, your arguments about that are not in synch with the facts here. I live in a nice upper class 'burb too. I don't know anyone smoking weed and guzzling vodka WHILE DRIVING ON A PARKWAY AT 9:30 a.m. ON A SUNDAY. Even the hardest-core partiers I know wouldn't/couldn't conceive of doing that.

I guess you do - fine; that's sad, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
 
4,037 posts, read 6,446,451 times
Reputation: 2115
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I KNOW it does. But come on, your arguments about that are not in synch with the facts here. I live in a nice upper class 'burb too. I don't know anyone smoking weed and guzzling vodka WHILE DRIVING ON A PARKWAY AT 9:30 a.m. ON A SUNDAY. Even the hardest-core partiers I know wouldn't/couldn't conceive of doing that.

I guess you do - fine; that's sad, though.
I agree. Even if this woman was the type to do something like this, her brother then likely wouldn't have allowed his kids to travel with her behind the wheel. You don't turn in to a sunday morning problem drinker out of the blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
 
292 posts, read 672,253 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynrefugee View Post
. I come from middle-and-upper middle class suburbs. .
Apparently this is more subjective than one would think.

Why don't you post under your real user name? You didn't stumble across city-data just to post on this, now did you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
 
292 posts, read 672,253 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynrefugee View Post
Does mother confer some kind of special wiring? .
Yes, it does - most mothers would put their lives on the line for their children. That's why it's such big news when something like this, or Susan Smith, or some other case of infanticide at the hands of mom, happens. It's shocking because anyone who is mother knows they would lay down their life for their child. The moment you have a child, you know your whole world has just changed 100% completely and there's no going back. It's hard to understand the small percentage for whom that change DOESN'T happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 01:59 PM
 
2,414 posts, read 4,594,655 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I live in a nice upper class 'burb too. I don't know anyone smoking weed and guzzling vodka WHILE DRIVING ON A PARKWAY AT 9:30 a.m. ON A SUNDAY.
People who do that kind of thing aren't going to broadcast it to you. They want to keep it a secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
 
2,005 posts, read 5,030,252 times
Reputation: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynrefugee View Post
Does mother confer some kind of special wiring? Mother's are people. I believe one in four people in this country have an alcohol problem. Parenthood just means you have procreated.

I know plenty of people, nonparents, who would never get into a car with kids -- or anyone - if they had been partying. And I know irresponsible parents. I don't get the deification of motherhood or fatherhood, as if it elevates character, etc. Most really good parents I know were responsible people before becoming parents. Most irresponsible parents I know about showed signs before becoming parents.
Yeah, mothers do. Biology built us that way to protect our young. Every now and again, you get a whacko mother who, like Susan Smith, kills her kids. But for the most part, most mothers don't just get drunk in the morning with a car load of kids, it just doesn't happen. I'll give you the fact that there are moms who drink a few drinks and drive their kids home from a party, but drinking vodka and smoking pot in the morning, sorry, nope. I can't wrap my brain around it. I'm curious to see all the facts come out.... if I had to write a script, I'd say she was having an affair, he dumped her over the phone, she got ticked and just said Moderator cut: language removed

But I even doubt THAT happened. This story baffles me.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-06-2009 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,417 posts, read 27,165,228 times
Reputation: 7231
Husband says mother in NY crash wasn't a drinker - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_wrong_way_crash - broken link)

Schuler's attorney, Dominic Barbara, said the 36-year-old Cablevision executive had diabetes, a suspicious bump on her leg and a mouth abscess that hadn't been treated for weeks before the deadly July 26 wreck.

Ah, so that explains it ALL!

The diabetes just makes it look like she smoked pot right before the accident because it made her blood sugar weird, so why wouldn't it make it look like she's been smoking pot too?

She must have used a lot of mouthwash to keep the mouth abscess clean, hence the alcohol level recorded in her blood.

And the "suspicious bump on the leg" is in case they discover vicodin and oxycontin in her blood because she needed a painkiller ... or thirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
 
9,678 posts, read 12,523,886 times
Reputation: 5204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Yeah, mothers do. Biology built us that way to protect our young. Every now and again, you get a whacko mother who, like Susan Smith, kills her kids. But for the most part, most mothers don't just get drunk in the morning with a car load of kids, it just doesn't happen. I'll give you the fact that there are moms who drink a few drinks and drive their kids home from a party, but drinking vodka and smoking pot in the morning, sorry, nope. I can't wrap my brain around it. I'm curious to see all the facts come out.... if I had to write a script, I'd say she was having an affair, he dumped her over the phone, she got ticked and just said f*** it. But I even doubt THAT happened. This story baffles me.
My thoughts exactly..something set her off, she must have been unstable, add the weed..but how did she have a 1.7L bottle of absolut on a Sunday morning? It was just hanging around the campsite? Strange stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top