U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,338,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIR View Post
I would hope that out of this horrible tragedy, other parents who drink and/or smoke pot will now think twice before getting behind the wheel with children in the car. If this mother was drunk and stoned midday on a Sunday, she had a drinking and drug problem. This was not a "one time" aberration in her behavior. Her husband had to have been aware she had a problem, and should not have left her alone to drive everyone else. Clearly, alcohol and pot can be just as dangerous as crack, heroin, meth, etc, yet some sweep this problem under the rug. So sad.
THC, also known as Marijuana, is the opening door for 99% of drug addictions worlwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 AM

2,005 posts, read 5,124,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
THC, also known as Marijuana, is the opening door for 99% of drug addictions worlwide.
Let's not debate about pot being the "gateway drug", I personally know a lot of people who smoke pot but do nothing else. Alcohol is the cause of many more deaths than pot will ever be. She was drinking vodka. Had she only been smoking a joint, she'd probably still be alive. Pot isn't evil, it's alcohol and the excess use of it.

What local links do you guys use to get updates on this story?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,687,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
they're idiots. The timeline and the undigested alcohol in her stomach don't support this theory at all.
They also think she smoked a month ago, and it showed up on the tox screen because THC stays in the body for a long time. What they don't realize is the doctors can probably measure the level of THC too. That's how they knew she smoked it an hour before the crash.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,539,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Let's not debate about pot being the "gateway drug", I personally know a lot of people who smoke pot but do nothing else. Alcohol is the cause of many more deaths than pot will ever be. She was drinking vodka. Had she only been smoking a joint, she'd probably still be alive. Pot isn't evil, it's alcohol and the excess use of it.

What local links do you guys use to get updates on this story?
lohud.com isn't bad.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Article taken from today's NY Post -

"Something Is Wrong With Aunt Diane"

IN THE minutes before Diane Schuler drunkenly smashed her vehicle while traveling in the wrong direction on the Taconic Parkway -- murdering seven innocents and herself -- her little niece cried, terrified, into a cellphone to her dad:
"There's something wrong with Aunt Diane!"
Those were the awful, last words of Emma Hance, who at 9 was the eldest of the five kids riding in the death car during the fiery, horrific crash in Westchester, a source close to the case told me.
That child knew she was in trouble. Yet she had no choice but to ride on, helplessly, to her death. God rest her soul.
Before this call, Schuler made three, increasingly frantic calls from her cell -- not the one, calm conversation that's been previously reported.
At least two of the calls were to her brother, Warren Hance, the father of three girls who lost their lives. Diane's daughter also was killed, as well as three men in an oncoming SUV.
The first call Diane made was relatively unpanicked. Emma took the phone to tell her dad that she "had a great time" camping upstate with the Schulers. But she warned her father that she was going to be late, and would not arrive home on time for drama rehearsal. This was curious, because the Schulers said they left upstate early, around 9:30 a.m. on July 26.
In subsequent calls, it was clear that something was terribly wrong.
Diane told her brother she was having "tunnel vision" -- the very phrase I've seen associated with heavy drinking. Then Emma made her anguished cry.
And then, for whatever reason, Diane decided to drop her phone and sped off to die. She ignored her brother's entreaties to stay put.
Emma's voice was never heard again.
It's unclear why Schuler did not call her husband, Daniel, who was supposed to be driving home in his truck at the same time Diane took the kids.
One thing is clear -- child welfare authorities are having trouble accepting that Daniel Schuler was clueless that his wife was drinking and drugging while driving. The dad hastily exited a "she wasn't drunk" press conference yesterday to be grilled by Nassau County child welfare workers, whom he met at the Westchester hospital where his son, Bryan, 5, was recovering from his injuries.
Authorities want to figure out if Schuler, who denied that his wife even liked the taste of alcohol, is a danger to his son.
"They want to see how depressed he is," added my source.
Evidence is mounting that someone had to have known Diane was a danger. Yet Schuler offered himself up, grim-faced, to the press, insisting his wife had an occasional glass of wine -- and tossed the rest of the bottle away.
He suggested an abscessed tooth may have caused a stroke. He blamed gestational diabetes, though Diane was not known to be pregnant. "I want to clear her name," he said.
Meanwhile, his lawyer, Dominic Barbara, backed away from a report that he would seek another autopsy on Diane's body, now saying he'd "not decided what to do."
Daniel cried but once during a press conference that drained onlookers' emotions. That was when he mentioned the loss of his daughter.
"She's my little girl. She's gone," he said, choking up.
May the innocents rest in peace. God will deal with the rest.
Who is the source of these phone transcripts?
I don't understand why she would call someone and complain about tunnel vision--didn't she know that drinking half a bottle of vodka and smoking dope will do that to people? I'm wondering if these phone calls really took place as stated. This whole story is very strange.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:15 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,519,942 times
I don't buy that phone call BS. I think the poor kid called her own father three times, totally panicked, and at some point Schuler grabbed the phone from her and threw it out the window. That's why they found it by the side of the road.

The family is trying to save Schuler's name and not doing a very good job of it, understandably. They are suffering from a terrible tragedy. They now lack credibility and people are thinking the worst of them.

This is what happens when you lie.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:28 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times
Default She wasn't from Valley Stream! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I was reading on the new york daily news forum that if she (the driver) had been black, no one would have given them benefit of the doubt, but because it was a white suburban soccer mom, people felt compelled to come up with absurd theories about brain tumors, instead of the most likely answer--she was wasted. It was people on another forum making the excuses, so I'm not talking about people here, but it's still something to think about.
I can understand why people might say that.

Classism and racism (plus whether they have political or law enforcement connections) does play a part in how the public views various miscreants and whether or not excuses are made for them or whether the authorities go easier on them.

For example, I think if the Octomom had been black and ghetto, she would have been ridden out of town on a rail, had all the kids taken away, and been prosecuted for Workers' Compensation fraud instead of being feted on Dateline NBC like a celebrity.

Could you imagine if this woman had been from Shirley or Mastic? Or if instead of an "executive" she had been a telephone customer service rep or a cleaning lady at Cablevision? How many would have thought "typical white trash drunk druggie" and NOT have thought up excuses for her beyond drunk/drugged driving?

At least she wasn't from Valley Stream ... if so that would have been the headline of this thread ... woman from VALLEY STREAM was drunk!

RIP to those poor souls. Now I see social services is "investigating" the father to see if he is fit to take care of the surviving child. Nothing like locking the barn door after the horse has escaped ...

Old 08-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I don't buy that phone call BS. I think the poor kid called her own father three times, totally panicked, and at some point Schuler grabbed the phone from her and threw it out the window. That's why they found it by the side of the road.

The family is trying to save Schuler's name and not doing a very good job of it, understandably. They are suffering from a terrible tragedy. They now lack credibility and people are thinking the worst of them.

This is what happens when you lie.
I agree. Even before we knew for sure that she was bombed, the phone calls don't make sense. Why would she have the presence of mind to call someone and tell them she was disoriented, and then turn around and do something like get behind the wheel with all those children. Like you, I think some phone calls were made (which can easily be proven by the cell phone provider's records), but I don't believe any of the quotes from Diane Schuler that we've heard from the brother & husband.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I can understand why people might say that.

Classism and racism (plus whether they have political or law enforcement connections) does play a part in how the public views various miscreants and whether or not excuses are made for them or whether the authorities go easier on them.

For example, I think if the Octomom had been black and ghetto, she would have been ridden out of town on a rail, had all the kids taken away, and been prosecuted for Workers' Compensation fraud instead of being feted on Dateline NBC like a celebrity.

Could you imagine if this woman had been from Shirley or Mastic? Or if instead of an "executive" she had been a telephone customer service rep or a cleaning lady at Cablevision? How many would have thought "typical white trash drunk druggie" and NOT have thought up excuses for her beyond drunk/drugged driving?

At least she wasn't from Valley Stream ... if so that would have been the headline of this thread ... woman from VALLEY STREAM was drunk!

RIP to those poor souls. Now I see social services is "investigating" the father to see if he is fit to take care of the surviving child. Nothing like locking the barn door after the horse has escaped ...
Thanks. I think it's more than a race thing too. If it had been the husband who had done this, I don't think people would be bending over backwards trying to look for unlikely explanations. It's amazing that there are still people out there who believe the diabetes, tooth abcess, whatever theories, even after these tox. screens have come to light.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:38 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Thanks. I think it's more than a race thing too. If it had been the husband who had done this, I don't think people would be bending over backwards trying to look for unlikely explanations. It's amazing that there are still people out there who believe the diabetes, tooth abcess, whatever theories, even after these tox. screens have come to light.
The lamest one is the "diabetes excuse." They said she had GESTATIONAL diabetes (meaning diabetic when during a pregnancy ONLY) in the past. And that she wasn't currently pregnant.

So how in the world can they use "diabetes" as an excuse?

Grasping at straws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island