U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,634,429 times
I bet they were drinking and smoking all weekend at the campground, like they did every weekend, and they invited the "older" cousins to occupy the younger ones 'cause it made it easier for them to focus on getting wasted.

No sober person would take five kids aged 2 through 8 camping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 06:56 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,667,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I bet they were drinking and smoking all weekend at the campground, like they did every weekend, and they invited the "older" cousins to occupy the younger ones 'cause it made it easier for them to focus on getting wasted.

Well I actually would take a bunch of kids camping. What I wouldn't do is take a bunch of kids camping while getting wasted and smoking pot. We camp with our kids all the time. It's great fun. On a side note, I thought maybe the vodka was leftover from the camping trip. But that was before, now I think the whole family is hiding something... fights, affairs, bad marriage, alcoholism and drug use etc. I still sort of think it was a suicide thing, why should took her nieces with her is beyond me. I'm curious to understand the rest of the story.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,488,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Are you kidding me???? My parents took 5 of us all the time. And i did it with my kids also. I see nothing wrong with this at all. The dirinking and driving with the kids, thats where the problem was.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:55 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,203,836 times
update: looks like she did her binge after going to the restaurant:
Diane Schuler Was OK At Restaurant Before Taconic Crash: Police

Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 PM

15,734 posts, read 15,982,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
update: looks like she did her binge after going to the restaurant:
Diane Schuler Was OK At Restaurant Before Taconic Crash: Police
The article says:

Schuler was sober when she left the camp at about 9:30 a.m. on July 26, but she had had more than 10 vodkas and was high on marijuana by the time she crashed on the Taconic State Parkway, just north of New York City, at 1:30 p.m., autopsy results found.

State police said Friday that after interviewing employees at a McDonald's about 15 miles from the Hunter Lake campsite, "there was no indication of any illness or impairment during the time she was there."

Schuler left with her children in the minivan between 10:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m., police said.

They don't say how they absolutely KNOW this is true. Can a McD's employee smell her breath across the counter? So she wasn't full-scale whacked out yet, but was she stone cold sober?

I think they are trying to help those who may have known she was drunk and drugged out avoid the latter, as the article also says:

A lawyer for relatives of two of the Yonkers men suggested charges might be possible against anyone who knew Schuler had been drinking before the crash. He said his clients also would explore a possible civil case.

These investigators and the family are dancing all over the place ... before they said the vodka bottle may have been placed in the car AFTER the crash ... now they are acting like she must have been boozing it up while driving ...

Old 08-10-2009, 03:53 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,092,263 times
now they are acting like she must have been boozing it up while driving

How frightening for especially the oldest niece. She knew the danger and was powerless to do anything. Lately , I think of her so often when I see children that age.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:27 PM

8,824 posts, read 9,693,658 times
I['m telling ya, there was some kind of fight after she left McD's - either he ditched her there or they had a phone fight - and she tried to chase him down hence the maniacal driving on 17 and 87 that witnesses saw (honking, flashing her lights, etc).

No doubt she was boozing it up while driving - she had 6 ounces in her stomach....had to have been whist she was driving. Plus she smoked the pot 15-60 minutes before the crash, so that had to be in the car too.

Something happened and her husband darn well knows what it was. More and more info will trickle out.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:55 PM

13 posts, read 17,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I['m telling ya, there was some kind of fight after she left McD's - either he ditched her there or they had a phone fight - and she tried to chase him down hence the maniacal driving on 17 and 87 that witnesses saw (honking, flashing her lights, etc).

No doubt she was boozing it up while driving - she had 6 ounces in her stomach....had to have been whist she was driving. Plus she smoked the pot 15-60 minutes before the crash, so that had to be in the car too.

Something happened and her husband darn well knows what it was. More and more info will trickle out.

6 grams in her stomach. Equals a quarter ounce.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:16 PM

432 posts, read 664,731 times
I can't even wrap my head around this whole situation. What makes a seemingly normal person go on a bender like this? Something had to have happened in that missing time span, either a fight with hubster, maybe she was having an affair.. possible work issues, financial problems? I can't imagine that all these accounts of her being a great mom/aunt, neighbor, worker.. not one person though coming forward and saying, oh yea she always gets rip roaring drunk at the family Christmas party..... I think that would have leaked out by now with all the sensationalism.

Newsday now saying her family is thinking possible stroke? Attorney: Schuler eyes stroke condition as crash cause

Quote:
The Schuler family attorney, Dominic Barbara of Garden City, said he is pursuing whether Diane Schuler suffered a transient ischemic attack, or TIA, a sudden disruption of blood flow to the brain lasting for less than an hour, a stroke expert told Newsday Monday. Among its symptoms are blurred vision and disorientation, the same problems New York State Police said Schuler described to her brother in a phone call 30 minutes before the July 26 crash.
ETA: It also says the 5 year old boy was released from the hospital today but doesn't say if he's going home or to a rehab.......

Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 PM

4,177 posts, read 6,960,883 times
what was funny was initially it was said that the husband went fishing and was out of reach my cell phone. Now it is saying he was bringing the dog home. there certainly is more to this story.

As for camping with a few children ; I have done that many times. Had a camper like she had seasonally and often brought 2-3 more children with me including my own. BUT the difference is that I would never have a single beer before I brought each child home safely. It is a long drive ; I drove 3 hours also to our campsite. Coffee ; yess, beer ; defiantly nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island