U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 PM

3,198 posts, read 8,106,787 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this! It makes a sad story even sadder.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 PM

4,963 posts, read 3,925,200 times
Oh thats terrible. I go to pa weekly and would never ever drive so far with one beer esp with my kids in the car and early in the day.

Oh how terrible ; it could have been avoided.

d

Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 PM

15,731 posts, read 23,957,202 times
I can't understand this. Maybe they were up late or all night drinking etc??? I mean it was 9:30 a.m. that they got on the road. And if you had been drinking and doing drugs - maybe stay in the right lane and drive a little more carefully with 5 kids in the car? What I'm saying is maybe she thought it was all out her system, but the wtf was up with the aggressive driving prior to the accident? I wonder if she called her brother, he said he would come get her, and then she realized she didn't want to be seen in that condition....

I knew the fact that her husband couldn't shed any light on the situation was weird. She was fine and 30 minutes later she was driving down 17 and 87 like a maniac?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM

9,902 posts, read 12,973,449 times
If you know the Taconic, you know that they have 90 degree turn offs in many areas, not on ramps and off ramps. In her state, she probably made a left into an oncoming lane, the road probably being empty and her not knowing the area well.

Either way, driving over the limit..stupid..driving over the limit with kids in the car...unfathomable.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
I believe she was a diabetic. A diabetic in ketoacidosis will have abnormally high blood alcohol test results, from what I gather from laboratory medicine texts. And a diabetic in DKA will also have trouble mentating, etc.

That doesn't explain the THC, however.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 PM

34 posts, read 92,972 times
The news report I heard said the toxicology report found alcohol and marijuana in her system. I never would have expected this . . . everyone made her out to be the picture-perfect person.I'm sure the husband will have to live with a lot of guilty feelings knowing he let her drive in that condition. I'm sure he knew exactly what she had been doing the night before since they spent the weekend together. I always found it odd that she chose to call her brother instead of her husband. He was probably in the same condition as her and would have been of no help to her any way.This makes it even worse for everyone involved.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 PM

15,731 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I believe she was a diabetic. A diabetic in ketoacidosis will have abnormally high blood alcohol test results, from what I gather from laboratory medicine texts. And a diabetic in DKA will also have trouble mentating, etc.

I think you missed the news reports today. Earlier SPECULATION is that she may have had sudden onset diabetes.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:12 PM

405 posts, read 994,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

Very interesting, I was not aware that diabetes could impact blood alcohol results. Maybe there is more to the story than it appears.

Unfortunately, it will not change the magnitude of this terrible tragedy and in the end it is still likely that very poor judgment on the woman's part will have led to this disaster.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,006,769 times
I never expected this as an outcome . I hardly know what to say. Her poor brother lost all of his lovely daughters.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,115,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I never expected this as an outcome . I hardly know what to say. Her poor brother lost all of his lovely daughters.
Honestly when I first saw the report on News12 I thought it was a joke. I thought no way in hell any mother would put the lives of so many of her own kids and her nieces at risk.

Just what in the hell was she thinking? Drunk and stoned at 9:30am ... not even the biggest potheads and dirtbags from my high school years could match that level of stupidity and callousness. I abhor drug use and excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages but if you absolutely must do drugs or drink excessively then at least have the decency to do it in your own home at a time when it wont put the lives of others in danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island