U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:38 PM

3,713 posts, read 7,890,563 times
I found it odd she didn't try to call her husband either, and called her brother, thought maybe she and her husband had a fight etc but this sort of explains it, he may have been wasted too , I just can't imagine her brother and his wife and how they're feeling (although they might have had an inkling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSResident View Post
The news report I heard said the toxicology report found alcohol and marijuana in her system. I never would have expected this . . . everyone made her out to be the picture-perfect person.I'm sure the husband will have to live with a lot of guilty feelings knowing he let her drive in that condition. I'm sure he knew exactly what she had been doing the night before since they spent the weekend together. I always found it odd that she chose to call her brother instead of her husband. He was probably in the same condition as her and would have been of no help to her any way.This makes it even worse for everyone involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:07 PM

90 posts, read 117,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I found it odd she didn't try to call her husband either,
It was reported that her husband was out of cell phone range on his fishing trip... No one ever said she didn't try to call him; they haven't released the list of her calls because they needed a subpoena. It will be interesting to see who if anyone else she called.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:17 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,917,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I believe she was a diabetic. A diabetic in ketoacidosis will have abnormally high blood alcohol test results, from what I gather from laboratory medicine texts. And a diabetic in DKA will also have trouble mentating, etc.

That doesn't explain the THC, however.

Weed explains the THC.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:35 PM

64 posts, read 89,858 times
Just confirmed in the press release.

1.) Twice the legal limit for alcohol. 6 grams unmetabolized found in stomach.
2.) Broken bottle of Vodka found at the scene.
3.) THC in her blood

I am a recovering alcoholic and this is just so sad! No excuse to put those kids and others in danger.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
Never mind - that bottle of vodka is a smoking gun. How stupid and thoughtless of her. Completely irresponsible.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM

563 posts, read 1,720,834 times
Something is still fishy. Her husband had to know or was in the same shape as her. But what I want to know is they said he was going fishing when she left. How did he get home before them? (Supposedly he was home or it was reported (alluded) he was when it happened)The few stories I have been reading are questioning whether the brother may have suspected it but chose to leave it out of his call to state police. I find it hard to believe though that if he even suspected drugs/alcohol/drunkenness he would cover for his sister with his three girls in the car and just report "disorientation". I would sell my sister, brother, etc out in a second if I suspected it and my children were potentially in harms way. Worst case scenario is you are wrong about your assumptions. I also find it completely strange that she could be this messed up and make it through all the counties (Sullivan through Ulster through Rockland and then into Westchester). It is not like we are driving a straight line here. Those roads all curves and switch backs. Horrible horrible situation regardless of the results.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-04-2009 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 PM

815 posts, read 1,114,762 times
I try to avoid the Taconic Pkwy. as much as possible. It is horribly laid out and has far too many curves, many of which are blind curves. The shoulders of that road are often sheer rock faces. It is not a pastoral drive like NSP or SSP. I am a professional driver. I would rather pay tolls and be in traffic than negotiate that parkway.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
LIR

74 posts, read 153,928 times
Default Lesson for Others

I would hope that out of this horrible tragedy, other parents who drink and/or smoke pot will now think twice before getting behind the wheel with children in the car. If this mother was drunk and stoned midday on a Sunday, she had a drinking and drug problem. This was not a "one time" aberration in her behavior. Her husband had to have been aware she had a problem, and should not have left her alone to drive everyone else. Clearly, alcohol and pot can be just as dangerous as crack, heroin, meth, etc, yet some sweep this problem under the rug. So sad.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:56 PM

432 posts, read 977,582 times
White Trash all the way. If any good can come from this maybe there will be stronger DWI punishment.

How about 7 counts of MURDER 1????
Stupid "B" should not even get a tomb stone.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,771,477 times
What's amazing is how after this accident occurred, the prevailing attitude seemed to be that this was something that had "happened to her" (ie the mother) - rather than "something she did"!

And of course the media coverage was all about her and what a wonderful mom she was. When now it's looking like she (and probably her husband) probably weren't above taking a pot puff now and then in front of the kids. (Seriously, does anyone really believe this was a private solo habit of hers?) She probably had a fight with her husband, left the campground with the kids and then smoked and drank to "relax" on the way home.

Can you imagine how terrified those kids must have been in the last moments of their lives.

Why are people still trying so hard to ignore the bald facts of the case? She was drunk. She was high. They found six ounces of undigested vodka in her stomach. She wasn't a diabetic, she didn't have a brain tumor, she didn't have a mysterious disease of the week. It's time to give up on that fanciful narrative. As for the statements by her husband and brother, they ought to be looked on with suspicion. This sounds like a family that knew she had alcohol problems and after this horrible thing happened still felt the need to lie or gloss it over. And if they DIDN'T know... well, shame on them.

Quote:
I knew the fact that her husband couldn't shed any light on the situation was weird. She was fine and 30 minutes later she was driving down 17 and 87 like a maniac?
Maybe hubby needs to be given a lie detector test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island