U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:41 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,693,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambralita View Post
Don't you all think that SOMEONE must have known she imbibed AND smoked pot either that morning or several hours previous, and they should be held LIABLE for accessory??? Wouldn't it be those peoples' responsibility to have prevented her from driving, or alerting authorities?

I am absolutely sickened and horrified. We just can't imagine what those poor children must have felt during that ride. You are safe now in God's Eternal Loving Arms, Dear Angels.

And now another nail in the coffin created by Drinking and Driving. What will it take for people to not do this???
I'm sure the husband and brother both knew what was going on, and are trying to cover themselves from lawsuits now. The relatives of hte people in the other car have a lawyer now:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...cted-1.1350380
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 PM

903 posts, read 2,994,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
And so many people on the forums were willing to make excuses for her and give her the benefit of the doubt.

I think we want to think the best in people and who would think a mother would be have such disregard for the life of her children and nieces-not forgetting the other innocent people in the SUV. She lived on LI-any one of us on this board or our families could have been a victim of her actions.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,622 times
Such a terrible story, makes me sick to my stomach. She killed 3 men in another car as well. Not only was she drunk but she had pot in her system as well. And the EMTs who arrived on the scene are recieving pyschological help right now. Horrible.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
I think we want to think the best in people and who would think a mother would be have such disregard for the life of her children and nieces-not forgetting the other innocent people in the SUV. She lived on LI-any one of us on this board or our families could have been a victim of her actions.
I was reading on the new york daily news forum that if she (the driver) had been black, no one would have given them benefit of the doubt, but because it was a white suburban soccer mom, people felt compelled to come up with absurd theories about brain tumors, instead of the most likely answer--she was wasted. It was people on another forum making the excuses, so I'm not talking about people here, but it's still something to think about.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:37 PM

15,793 posts, read 24,093,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I find it a bit too suspect that the husband, a member of the NCPD, couldn't give any info.

I believe that this wasn't the first time that she did something like this. Chances are she was an alcoholic. The brother and husband probably covered for her in the past.

We will never know the exact conversation she had with him. HE called the NYSP stating she was 'disoriented' and not feeling well.

Is it possible that the conversation might have been her calling him, he telling her that, "You're drunk, stay put and I'll get you," Being very drunk and stoned, she probably told him something nasty, tossed the cell phone out the window, and drove away.

What made her drink that morning? I am going to bet that aside from alcoholism, there must have been some sort of disagreement with her husband to trigger her.

They left the campground at 9:30, accident happens about 90 miles away at 1:30. She stopped at McD's to feed the kids. Even if they were at McD's for an hour, that's 3 hours to drive 90 miles....
This is how I see it basically happening to....

Old 08-05-2009, 03:48 PM

15,793 posts, read 24,093,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I was reading on the new york daily news forum that if she (the driver) had been black, no one would have given them benefit of the doubt, but because it was a white suburban soccer mom, people felt compelled to come up with absurd theories about brain tumors, instead of the most likely answer--she was wasted. It was people on another forum making the excuses, so I'm not talking about people here, but it's still something to think about.
I don't agree. The original press release was that the Troopers had not found any evidence of drugs or alcohol in this accident. They withheld the info till the victims were all buried, in all likelihood more to protect the criminal investigation than anything else. THAT is why people were saying it might have been brain tumor, stroke, etc. There was no other resonable explanation at that point.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 PM

here's the link:
NY Daily News - Discussions - Driver in deadly Taconic crash Diane ... (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=67759&start=140&tstart=0 - broken link)

Old 08-05-2009, 04:05 PM

366 posts, read 893,438 times
I am sick over this story. This is one of the most horrible things that I have heard in a long time. My heart goes out to all the families involved here.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:14 PM

102 posts, read 260,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't agree. The original press release was that the Troopers had not found any evidence of drugs or alcohol in this accident. They withheld the info till the victims were all buried, in all likelihood more to protect the criminal investigation than anything else. THAT is why people were saying it might have been brain tumor, stroke, etc. There was no other resonable explanation at that point.

As a member of law enforcement, you are right. False releases to the press are often used to protect investigations and not make innocent family and friends suffer more than they have to until after the burial. IMHO, the sudden onset of a diabetic condition, etc., seemed like a B.S. story from the start. There is a lot more to this story than we are privy to at this time. It's just a damn shame she (the mother) did not survive so she could live with the same pain her brother and sister-in-law and other family members will have to live with the rest of their lives.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:28 PM

8,177 posts, read 18,043,202 times
I do most of my shopping right in West Babylon and it is all anyone is talking about. There is such a sense of outrage and betrayal even.

It's hard to say anything when you have the picture of those three beautiful little girls in your head.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island