U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:56 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I was reading on the new york daily news forum that if she (the driver) had been black, no one would have given them benefit of the doubt, but because it was a white suburban soccer mom, people felt compelled to come up with absurd theories about brain tumors, instead of the most likely answer--she was wasted. It was people on another forum making the excuses, so I'm not talking about people here, but it's still something to think about.
Why is there a race issue when there isn't even one under these circumstances!?!

The idea of someone, male or female, black or white or anything in between, to be SO negligent with children is unfathomable. People still had their suspicions that something wasn't right with the story despite the fact that she was a "white suburban soccer mom."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM

30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
What I don't understand how can they talk of filing criminal charges against the woman's relatives. She is dead and was an adult responsible for her actions. How can criminal charges be filed against anyone in such case? Even civil charges it is hard to understand as she is dead. But I assume civil charges can be filed against her estate.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:15 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,685,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Why is there a race issue when there isn't even one under these circumstances!?!

The idea of someone, male or female, black or white or anything in between, to be SO negligent with children is unfathomable. People still had their suspicions that something wasn't right with the story despite the fact that she was a "white suburban soccer mom."
I don't have the time to explain it right now but yo can go to this link to understand the racial element of this story:
http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=67759&start=40&tstart=0

Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I don't have the time to explain it right now but yo can go to this link to understand the racial element of this story:
http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=67759&start=40&tstart=0
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a racial element in that story.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:25 PM

15,731 posts, read 23,957,202 times
There is no racial element. But some people can see one everywhere, or create one where one doesn't exist. I read the thread posted above - so you don't have to. Not worth your time.

As far as civil liability it makes no difference if she is dead...the owner of the vehicle (her brother) is in for a world of financial hurt and so is her husband, as his policy will come into play as well. In the civil world, being dead doesn't absolve you, and their insurance will cover some of it, but the damages and the egregious nature of the act will most likely outstrip any cover they probably have.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 PM

Here:

Plenty gave Diane Schuler more then the benefit of doubt because they identified with her being a White suburban mom who somehow became disoriented and drove 1.6 miles the wrong way down a highway.It was laughable reading the excuses made for the drunken, pot smoking mother driving a van. If she actually called her husband and he knew she was stoned and drunk with HIS children in the vehicle, why didn't he call the police. I wonder if he'll bear any accountability in the Civil suit thats sure to happen now. I feel bad for him, he must live with playing the what if I had behaved differently game, everyone would be alive today. What a tragedy. Sadly race is a factor, had Diane Schuler been any other race than a White woman she wouldn't have been given ANY benefit of doubt.
Posted by hjo4 (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=67759&start=40&tstart=0# - broken link) on Aug 4, 2009 2:57 PM
reply (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/post%21reply.jspa?messageID=1109943 - broken link) Report Offensive Post (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/abuse%21default.jspa?messageID=1110136 - broken link)

CYHDaily Aug 4, 2009 1:40:33 PM Report Offensive Post State Police first learned the toxicology results last Friday, but decided not to reveal the information until the victims were buried. -- Now this is amazing! Why would they withhold results for 4 days to wait for burials. Is it their job to determine when information about someone's wrong doing is released? That would have changed the whole mood of the drivers burial for sure. Why did they do that? .....Maybe because the one who caused such misery is not a minority? Had it been a minority the results would have been on the all news network all weekend long.
Posted by Poetic Justice (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=67759&start=40&tstart=0# - broken link) on Aug 4, 2009 2:57 PM

(http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/abuse%21default.jspa?messageID=1110138 - broken link)

To all those who thought I am playing the race card because I mentioned the girl who put the cat in the microwave: Oh, really? One out of five comments on the thread about the girl and the cat mentioned the girl’s race, or “ghetto” or the word “minorities.” The terms used to describe the girl included “animal,” “savage” and other pejoratives akin to being a sub-human. Yet, I don’t too many of those terms used to describe Diane Schuler. Yes, people are taking Schuler to task. But not in the same frenzied and furious fashion that they did to the girl who killed the cat. And that’s why I asked the question. Like some posters on here, I also believe the cops knew this woman was drunk out of her skull and covered it up for a time. But it had to come out eventually because of insurance laws. I still feel bad for Schuler and won’t demonize her. May she and the others all rest in peace.

Read more: NY Daily News - Discussions - Driver in deadly Taconic crash Diane ... (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=67759&start=40&tstart=0#ixzz0 NLmWhjRQ - broken link)

Old 08-05-2009, 04:31 PM

I can only imagine the amount rehab and surgeries the little boy is now faced with. Not only does he have to endure this emotional/mental tragedy, he's also faced with the whole physical pain aspect of it.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Here:

Plenty gave Diane Schuler more then the benefit of doubt because they identified with her being a White suburban mom who somehow became disoriented and drove 1.6 miles the wrong way down a highway.It was laughable reading the excuses made for the drunken, pot smoking mother driving a van. If she actually called her husband and he knew she was stoned and drunk with HIS children in the vehicle, why didn't he call the police. I wonder if he'll bear any accountability in the Civil suit thats sure to happen now. I feel bad for him, he must live with playing the what if I had behaved differently game, everyone would be alive today. What a tragedy. Sadly race is a factor, had Diane Schuler been any other race than a White woman she wouldn't have been given ANY benefit of doubt.
Posted by hjo4 (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=67759&start=40&tstart=0# - broken link) on Aug 4, 2009 2:57 PM
reply (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/post%21reply.jspa?messageID=1109943 - broken link) Report Offensive Post (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/abuse%21default.jspa?messageID=1110136 - broken link)

CYHDaily Aug 4, 2009 1:40:33 PM Report Offensive Post State Police first learned the toxicology results last Friday, but decided not to reveal the information until the victims were buried. -- Now this is amazing! Why would they withhold results for 4 days to wait for burials. Is it their job to determine when information about someone's wrong doing is released? That would have changed the whole mood of the drivers burial for sure. Why did they do that? .....Maybe because the one who caused such misery is not a minority? Had it been a minority the results would have been on the all news network all weekend long.
Posted by Poetic Justice (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=67759&start=40&tstart=0# - broken link) on Aug 4, 2009 2:57 PM

(http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/abuse%21default.jspa?messageID=1110138 - broken link)

To all those who thought I am playing the race card because I mentioned the girl who put the cat in the microwave: Oh, really? One out of five comments on the thread about the girl and the cat mentioned the girl’s race, or “ghetto” or the word “minorities.” The terms used to describe the girl included “animal,” “savage” and other pejoratives akin to being a sub-human. Yet, I don’t too many of those terms used to describe Diane Schuler. Yes, people are taking Schuler to task. But not in the same frenzied and furious fashion that they did to the girl who killed the cat. And that’s why I asked the question. Like some posters on here, I also believe the cops knew this woman was drunk out of her skull and covered it up for a time. But it had to come out eventually because of insurance laws. I still feel bad for Schuler and won’t demonize her. May she and the others all rest in peace.

Read more: NY Daily News - Discussions - Driver in deadly Taconic crash Diane ... (http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=67759&start=40&tstart=0#ixzz0 NLmWhjRQ - broken link)
You and posters on the Daily News forum are really reaching.

The police are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

How people (including OrlandeRE) can create a race issue that doesn't even exist and get angry about it is beyond me. How about giving a damn about the 7 innocent people who tragically lost their lives at the hands of a selfish & sick person.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You and posters on the Daily News forum are really reaching.

The police are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

How people (including OrlandeRE) can create a race issue that doesn't even exist and get angry about it is beyond me. How about giving a damn about the 7 innocent people who tragically lost their lives at the hands of a selfish & sick person.
I don't agree with everything they posted over there (the daily news), but I think they have a point. It was clear to me, at least, that the police were stalling for some reason. I don't think you can get quick toxicology reports on a body that's been damaged that severely. |Evem for Michael Jackson it took several days. This really has nothing to do with the police as far as I'm concerned. The interesting, and disturbing thing is that people were reaching for unlikely excuses for this behavior--brain tumor, diabetes--instead of coming to the more likely conclusion. I doubt that a tumor or diabetes could cause this behavior. People with diabetes are trained to watch for hypoglycemia. And if you've ever seen someone with severe hypoglycemia, they basically go into an unconcious state--there's no way they could operate a car for as long as she did.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:05 PM

4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times
Quote:
I don't agree with everything they posted over there (the daily news), but I think they have a point. It was clear to me, at least, that the police were stalling for some reason. I don't think you can get quick toxicology reports on a body that's been damaged that severely. |Evem for Michael Jackson it took several days. This really has nothing to do with the police as far as I'm concerned. The interesting, and disturbing thing is that people were reaching for unlikely excuses for this behavior--brain tumor, diabetes--instead of coming to the more likely conclusion. I doubt that a tumor or diabetes could cause this behavior. People with diabetes are trained to watch for hypoglycemia. And if you've ever seen someone with severe hypoglycemia, they basically go into an unconcious state--there's no way they could operate a car for as long as she did.
they were reaching because nothing had been reported that could make anyone think drugs/alcohol were involved.

If this had taken place at night after a party...people may have suspected her of being drunk from the beginning. But she had left the camp site in the morning and the accident took place at 1:30. That's not exactly prime time for DWI's.

In fact, I think most people would have suspected her of suicide over DWI if they had to choose a scenario in which she was at fault (prior to the toxicology).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island