Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
As crooks pointed out, there is tremendous local support from citizens. There is also support from labor unions, various business leaders and even some support from a local Bishop. With that, I would have to say the odds are very likely that this project will happen, and happen relatively quick.

However it's still LI land of NIMBY...so you never know

Our little poll here shows 80% in favor
Meet me at the Lighthouse?
can someone explain to me what NIMBY is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
can someone explain to me what NIMBY is?
Not In My BackYard

Old 08-06-2009, 03:43 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
If Wang was smart, he would incorporate the area to form a self-governing village (the Village of Wangville ???) in the Town of Hempstead; and, as the largest property owner in the newly formed village, he could control the local gov't and not be so dependent on a decision from the Town of Hempstead.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:55 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
If Wang was smart, he would incorporate the area to form a self-governing village (the Village of Wangville ???) in the Town of Hempstead; and, as the largest property owner in the newly formed village, he could control the local gov't and not be so dependent on a decision from the Town of Hempstead.
A couple of things - the county owns the property (Wang would be leasing it) and you need a certain number of residents to vote for incorporation. As of now, nobody lives there.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 PM

The Lighthouse project is in the Hamlet of East Garden City, and, according to LIPA, the January 1, 2008 population of the Hamlet of East Garden City was 2,197, excluding the Hofstra University dorms.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:06 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
then those people can incorporate...but Wang can't because he won't own the land.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 PM
sci

90 posts, read 224,170 times
Default lighthouse --- a dimming idea

I live in Hicksville a few miles from the lighthouse sight. Even now without the lighthouse project the traffic in that area is bad. Adding countless cars, trucks to supply the new stores, garbage trucks, more busses to move the people living there is going to crate a traffic nightmare that will be comparable to NYC.
I know there are no easy answers to alot of problems associated with "progress". But to start this massive project with out figuring out the day to day problems and there solutions seems to be asking for trouble from the start.
I for one am not in favor of the whole scope of the project. Long Island has always been the suburbs. The size of the buildings as well as the overall layout resembles a mini city. If people want to live in a city atmosphere they should move 20 miles west.
Is this the future of nassau county?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci View Post
Is this the future of nassau county?
I hope so. Nassau is still a great place to live, but we haven't had any growth in something like 4 decades now...that's not healthy. Considering that most real estate has already been claimed by single family, detached residence subdivisions and strip malls, the only way to go now is UP. Others have mentioned White Plains, New Rochelle and Stamford - we should be following the model of these cities. There are more than enough concrete wastelands to build on spread throughout East Garden City and Hempstead.

I do agree that to build something like this without the proper infrastructure considerations is nuts. This is a project that is screaming for large scale public transportation improvements...and there has been talk of them, but hopefully they actually come to fruition.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:13 PM

39 posts, read 51,024 times
I am stunned. I thought the Lighthouse was a longshot to get passed due to residents concern over the cost/traffic, the zoning changes, the environmental and political hurdles.

From what I heard on the news at least, that is what I gathered.
Have I been mislead or has sentiment changed recently due to Tavares?

As a Ranger fan, I'd love it for the Isles to go.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I hope so. Nassau is still a great place to live, but we haven't had any growth in something like 4 decades now...that's not healthy.
Growth for growth's sake ultimately leads down the path to complete urbanization, otherwise known as Queensification, and, for many, that is not the path they envision or why they moved to Nassau County in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island