U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 PM
 
39 posts, read 9,221 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Just curious, how likely is it that the Lighthouse Project is going to be approved?
I read they had made some progress, and that Tavares might spur them to do something, but I just find it hard to believe Long Island will be able to approve a massive project considering the state of the economy, politics, and the environmental hurdles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 AM
 
7,658 posts, read 11,164,806 times
Reputation: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifled View Post
Just curious, how likely is it that the Lighthouse Project is going to be approved?
I read they had made some progress, and that Tavares might spur them to do something, but I just find it hard to believe Long Island will be able to approve a massive project considering the state of the economy, politics, and the environmental hurdles.
I think its a done deal.

Word on the street is that theres 70-80% local support.

Central Nassau would be foolish to pass on this one.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 08:13 AM
 
Location: The Dirty Dale
405 posts, read 696,949 times
Reputation: 238
As crooks pointed out, there is tremendous local support from citizens. There is also support from labor unions, various business leaders and even some support from a local Bishop. With that, I would have to say the odds are very likely that this project will happen, and happen relatively quick.

However it's still LI land of NIMBY...so you never know

Our little poll here shows 80% in favor
Meet me at the Lighthouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Long Island, New York
16,289 posts, read 5,966,319 times
Reputation: 3642
The biggest hurdle right now is the zoning change

The project calls for 2 30+ story highrises....currently the tallest building on Long Island is the Nassau County medical center at 18 stories and 299 ft (the law prohibits anything over 300 ft)


but I also think that even though it may have 70-80 support, people are not looking at the facts
it will cost more than projected, it will not create as many jobs as projected, and it will end upo costing the taxpayers lots of money.....this project is a losing situation for long island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM
 
1,795 posts, read 1,364,851 times
Reputation: 1179
^ You know this, just because?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Long Island, New York
16,289 posts, read 5,966,319 times
Reputation: 3642
"all the money is coming from wang"........wrong, only partially and only for the construction,,, not the rest of it,,,and wang is STILL looking for investors to FUND this project.

understand INFRASTRUCTURE??building this huge thing with 'luxury apartments, low wage apartments, retail stores, a 'canal', a trollie, etc will ADD cost to the infrastructure of the state, county, town and district
YOUR taxes (town/county and state) pay for garbage..police...water...sewe r..fire...schools... electricity for municipalities (to include street lamps), BUSES (hmm MTA is alreay cutting back services and raising fees),. etc
it doesnt address:
increase in garbage...TOH is already backlogged on what to do with their solidwaste.......the extra garbagemen and their trucks and where to refine it (the burning plant is already at max capacity,landfills are CLOSED, and we SHIP our garbage to other states)

the already overburdoned electric grid..to include all the ' extra''municipal' lighting.....the extra load on the electric grid, the LIPA says is maxed out already (remember we prevented shoreham)...(lipa BUYS power from PA and CT..and lipa is raising rates).......who will pay that bill????...THE TAXPAYER AND YOU WILL ALSO SEE IT IN YOUR RATE INCREASES

the already overburdoned sewer systems(toilet water) on long island....The sewer (waste treatment plants) have been for years saying that they need more and newer ones (ceder creek is so overused look at all the waste that get dumped into the bay (right back into the aquifers).QUOTE from supervisor of cedar creek """With the condition of the plant, I question its ability to handle the extra sewage.""" ........just where will all the sewage get dump/treated and who will pay for it????....THE TAXPAYER

the already overburdoned aquafers on long island....the water supply that is vital to all of ling island (our natural aquafer is already overused, and getting more polluted(look at all the studies on the overusage of fertilizer on LI))......where will the extra water/purification of water come from???......THE TAXPAYER

the already overcrowed schools in uniondale/east meadow....uniondale and east meadow schools are overcrowed (especially since they were studid in the late 70's and early 80's with removing schools (like newbridge road school and mcleary jhs..and what did they do?? built more housing...big mistake).....so where would all the kids from these low-wage and luxury apartments go to school??........even the article mentions the 6000 page 'study' says 'around' 300 new students---and the supertentant of uniondale says "we are at max capacity now".......who is going to float that bond (and pay for it)for new schools?????..... THE TAXPAYER

the already overburdoned (and now possible facing cuts) Police dept...WHO will pay for this????...THE TAXPAYER

the already in red fire departments...the extra firemen(yes they are volunteers,,,but look at the 'consolidation' talk), firehouse, trucks (to include a truck to handle a highrise)....where will that money come from??...THE TAX-PAYER

Mass transit...practicly non-existant on long island (mta is cutting back, lirr is cutting back)(and they say "express shuttle to the Mineola train station"....funny they didnt mention the CLOSER westbury station) so who will pay for this....THE TAXPAYER

or the fact the the construction jobs are just TEMPORARY, and all the actual jobs it creates are just LOW PAYING retail jobs....especially during a hurting (look at fortuneoff and macy's) economy
or the fact that it DOES NOT actually build a NEW colliseum, but just REFURBUSHES the old one,
THESE QUESTIONS ARE STILL NOT ANSWERED

more apartments equal more people, crime, water usage, sewer, garbage....that is FACT
where does the COST of more policemen/cars, firemen/trucks, garbagemen/trucks, electric lines and streetlamps, toilet sewage treatment, schools/treachers/buses come from......YOUR TAXES....that is FACT
DO you 'want' to take the chance to believe the SPIN from DEVELOPERS and INVESTORS REBULD A COLLISEUM, not this MONSTROSITY



I am a long islander currently in the army stationed at ft. bragg, nc---I want to see improvements---but this thing sounds like a nightmare in the coming. building is nice but without the infrastructure improvements being done FIRST, it wont work. here is a question---why would it create so much more office space, when 25% of the office space on LI is empty as it is( the omni building is 40% empty)

here is what I think

1. build the bridge/tunnel to ct First
2. improve the garbage problem first
3. improve uniondale and its overcrowed/under achieving schools first(then MAYBE people might want to send their kids to that school)
4. improve OUR electric grid (to include a small nuclear plant and massive individual solar) first
5. figure out (maybe connecting to NYC and the upstate resivours)how to save our hurting natural aquafurs
6. build/improve our sewage systems (more people equal more flushes of a toilet)
7. build a complex that will not only keep the ilanders but might bring the Nets (or anyother basketball team) back to the island
8. stop the RETAIL ROT--meaning the loss of ATTRACTIONS to retail stores (ie nunlies becoming a pepboys, levitown roller-rink and mini golf becoming a rockbottom/pepboys, both movie theaters in east meadow are gone, the drive in is gone(I know it didnt make that much movey, but I enjoyed it)

I've watched 'developers' destroy too many things..........90% of the time the 'artist' rendition is not what the final product looks like.....90% of the time , the progect takes longer and costs double.

and scott rechler has a FAILING record:

1. There's nothing but a pile of dirt on the site along the Long Island Expressway in North Hills where Scott Rechler's Ritz-Carlton luxury development was supposed to have begun rising two years ago.
2. Chill winds sweep over empty flats in Bridgeport, Conn., where he and his partners were to remake the skyline with a $1.5-billion district of chic waterfront condos, shops and yachts.
3.In White Plains, another company took his corporate nameplate off 14 prized buildings last month, and replaced it with their own. And in Princeton, N.J., neither a cherry-paneled atrium nor concierge and saunas have drawn a single tenant to the five-story office building he opened almost a year ago.
4. a bridge loan RexCorp had taken to help buy its tri-state-area suburban portfolio came due last summer, and Rechler said the banking crisis left him unable to refinance it.
5. in Baltimore, where Rechler had taken on another, nearly completed $250-million Ritz-Carlton development, on what he called distressed-asset terms, after the waning appetite for high-end luxury had already begun making itself felt. It opened last summer, but just 17 of its 192 condominiums had been logged as sold in Maryland state records last week - Rechler puts the number at 21.

and this is the guy with wang that's going to build this thing!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Status: "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,531 posts, read 4,505,347 times
Reputation: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
The biggest hurdle right now is the zoning change

The project calls for 2 30+ story highrises....currently the tallest building on Long Island is the Nassau County medical center at 18 stories and 299 ft (the law prohibits anything over 300 ft)


but I also think that even though it may have 70-80 support, people are not looking at the facts
it will cost more than projected, it will not create as many jobs as projected, and it will end upo costing the taxpayers lots of money.....this project is a losing situation for long island.
Well if Westchester can have high rises why not here? Its pathetic the aging NUMC is our tallest building. The county ran that building down so bad the Westinghouse elevators in there were horrible, getting stuck, opening doors between floors, and not leveling properly. I know because my grandmother stayed there for a month. They did "modernize" the elevators, so they are a little better.
Now RXR seems to keep their property up very well. Before they bought EAB they had unmodernized elevators in there, but they got modernized very nicely by Monitor Controls and are beautiful, as well as the whole building with new lounges.
Now the only thing I didn't like was RXR took away the waterfall, but it made it humid in the building anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 AM
 
Location: The Dirty Dale
405 posts, read 696,949 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but I also think that even though it may have 70-80 support, people are not looking at the facts
it will cost more than projected, it will not create as many jobs as projected, and it will end upo costing the taxpayers lots of money.....this project is a losing situation for long island.
I'm sorry, but it's very presumptuous of you to assume you know more facts than 80% of the people. You also seem very confident that it will go over budget and not generate what is expected. This is not fact, just your opinion. I suppose you also believe that it will not generate the $71 million in expected tax revenues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
"all the money is coming from wang"........wrong, only partially and only for the construction,,, not the rest of it,,,and wang is STILL looking for investors to FUND this project.
This seems very NIMBY'ish IMO, Wang is committing more of his own funds to this than just about any anyone else involved in any other major building project undertaken in the state. Compare it to Yankee Stadium and Citi Field...Wang is willing to invest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

here is what I think

1. build the bridge/tunnel to ct First
2. improve the garbage problem first
3. improve uniondale and its overcrowed/under achieving schools first(then MAYBE people might want to send their kids to that school)
4. improve OUR electric grid (to include a small nuclear plant and massive individual solar) first
5. figure out (maybe connecting to NYC and the upstate resivours)how to save our hurting natural aquafurs
6. build/improve our sewage systems (more people equal more flushes of a toilet)
7. build a complex that will not only keep the ilanders but might bring the Nets (or anyother basketball team) back to the island
8. stop the RETAIL ROT--meaning the loss of ATTRACTIONS to retail stores (ie nunlies becoming a pepboys, levitown roller-rink and mini golf becoming a rockbottom/pepboys, both movie theaters in east meadow are gone, the drive in is gone(I know it didnt make that much movey, but I enjoyed it)

I've watched 'developers' destroy too many things..........90% of the time the 'artist' rendition is not what the final product looks like.....90% of the time , the progect takes longer and costs double.
1. Why?? A bridge like that would be 100% on the taxpayer and you don't seem to want to spend taxpayer $$.
2. A never ending story that will not be completely addressed any time soon, but again it would be 100% on the taxpayer
3. Wang has already committed millions to the school district, combined with the influx of brain power from the project this may very well help the school district
4. BUILD A NUKE PLANT ON LI??????
5. Great Idea, who's paying...oh yeah 100% taxpayer
6. Most of the sewage systems in LI are actually in better shape than most of the country.
7. It's called the Lighthouse
8. The answer to that is consumers must support local merchants. They don't, they support Wal Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Long Island, New York
16,289 posts, read 5,966,319 times
Reputation: 3642
[quote=LilTownBlues;10141457]

This seems very NIMBY'ish IMO, Wang is committing more of his own funds to this than just about any anyone else involved in any other major building project undertaken in the state. Compare it to Yankee Stadium and Citi Field...Wang is willing to invest.[quote]

wang is committing more of his funds than anyone?????

wrong wang is only worth 200 million....this is a nearly 5 BILLION dollar project


Quote:
1. Why?? A bridge like that would be 100% on the taxpayer and you don't seem to want to spend taxpayer $$.
2. A never ending story that will not be completely addressed any time soon, but again it would be 100% on the taxpayer
3. Wang has already committed millions to the school district, combined with the influx of brain power from the project this may very well help the school district
4. BUILD A NUKE PLANT ON LI??????
5. Great Idea, who's paying...oh yeah 100% taxpayer
6. Most of the sewage systems in LI are actually in better shape than most of the country.
7. It's called the Lighthouse
8. The answer to that is consumers must support local merchants. They don't, they support Wal Mart.
1. so you want a monstrsity like this but not another avenue off the island that will reduce congestion at our current bottlenecks, but will also help the enviroment??

2. so you dont care that we have closed all our landfills and ship our garbage elsewhere.....how liberal of you

3. wang has committed millions to the schools district??? yea 4 million and that is not enough to cover putting decient windows in the existing buildings

4. yes a nuke plant....france is a country the size of texas and has more nuke plants than the entire usa..today's modern plants are perfectly safe, and very ecconomical, and the waste has been reduced 90%......would youratherer keep BUYING your power from CT, and PA??

5. you dont care that our aquafurs are already overused??? you dont care that our water is already being poisoned??

6 sewer is in better shape....funny the supervisor of cedarcreek said his plant would not be able to handle the extra load

7. you say its called the lighthouse...funny when the plans only call for the RENOVATION of the colliseum and spend more on retail (stealing from other areas on the island) and office space (50% of office space on long island is EMPTY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 PM
 
Location: The Dirty Dale
405 posts, read 696,949 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

wang is committing more of his funds than anyone?????

wrong wang is only worth 200 million....this is a nearly 5 BILLION dollar project
Just like any capitalist venture of any scope, and as you said, it's raised through financing and investors. The majority is not taxpayer funds


Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

1. so you want a monstrsity like this but not another avenue off the island that will reduce congestion at our current bottlenecks, but will also help the enviroment??

2. so you dont care that we have closed all our landfills and ship our garbage elsewhere.....how liberal of you

3. wang has committed millions to the schools district??? yea 4 million and that is not enough to cover putting decient windows in the existing buildings

4. yes a nuke plant....france is a country the size of texas and has more nuke plants than the entire usa..today's modern plants are perfectly safe, and very ecconomical, and the waste has been reduced 90%......would youratherer keep BUYING your power from CT, and PA??

5. you dont care that our aquafurs are already overused??? you dont care that our water is already being poisoned??

6 sewer is in better shape....funny the supervisor of cedarcreek said his plant would not be able to handle the extra load

7. you say its called the lighthouse...funny when the plans only call for the RENOVATION of the colliseum and spend more on retail (stealing from other areas on the island) and office space (50% of office space on long island is EMPTY
1. Another avenue off the Island to reduce congestion? Reduce congestion where in NYC? It will ad congestion to Nassau county. There are, however, some very good and viable reasons that a bridge project could make sense, just not at 100% cost to the taxpayers.

2. Interesting twist on how you have decided that I don't care. You are quite incorrect and to be clear I stated nothing that IMO could be considered as indicating such. If I interpret your statement in the same general means that you have apparently interpreted mine, then I must ask why are you willing to spend all taxpayer money, regardless of cost. Tax and spend is no way to improve things...how very liberal of you

3. Didn't you want to see improvement in the school district? Nobody else is lining up to give them anything and now it's not enough. Probably just easier to just add on more taxes, chase more people away, add more taxes and so and so on...

4. Sorry, but unless we're talking sauces France is not one of my go to countries for modeling a society. Outside of that, one still must remember that even though nuke facilities are safer than ever, they are not 100% guaranteed to never have a problem and LI still would not be able to evacuate if needed. Additional safety factors would also have to be considered when we remember that we still are a country at war with many enemies.

5. There you go with that don't care stuff again. Not what I said, in fact I even called it a great idea...who's paying for it....oh yeah..tax, tax, tax, tax

6. Ok, now you're talking a specific facility and yes you do have a point. You can also add Bay Park to the list of facilities needing upgrades. You can't pin the blame on the Lighthouse Project for this as both facilities have been looking for upgrades for quite a while. The Lighthouse will however give Peter King a better chance at Federal subsidies to finance these projects. Somtimes you have to pay taxes like it or not.

7. I think you're really twisting words here now. So I'll say it like this, the lightouse is a transformation of 77 acres of primarily asphalt jungle that creates ZERO tax revenue. It actually costs Nassau County $1.5 million a year just to have this wasteland. The transformation will be primarily funded by private investment and will turn the land into a tax revenue generator from the businesses that will operate there. Will there be some public investment for infrastucture, of course but the potential gain far outweighs the guaranteed nothingness of inaction. It's about time we created the space and incentive to bring some business back to the Island instead of watching it move away. Unemployment continues to rise, we need job stimulus and the Lighthouse helps in that regard. Cash for clunkers does not....don't know where that came from..

Been a pleasure debating with you.
I get the feeling there is more that we agree on than not, although clearly not everything. Sometimes a little back and forth debate is enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top