U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,872 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am obviously new here, but have been reading and searching through these boards for a while now.

My hubby and I are looking to buy our first home/condo. We have found a great condo that we both really like in Whalers cove in Babylon Village. Any feedback on that complex??
My family thinks this is a bad investment because a house appreciates much more than a condo. Is this true?

How hard to sell a condo in Babylon village than a house? If we bought a house he would have to work a second job and the house would need work.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 PM

6,046 posts, read 7,433,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy726 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am obviously new here, but have been reading and searching through these boards for a while now.

My hubby and I are looking to buy our first home/condo. We have found a great condo that we both really like in Whalers cove in Babylon Village. Any feedback on that complex??
My family thinks this is a bad investment because a house appreciates much more than a condo. Is this true?

How hard to sell a condo in Babylon village than a house? If we bought a house he would have to work a second job and the house would need work.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!
I have a friend who lives in that development. I love his place and he loves it there as well. So as far as I know, no complaints.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both houses and condos. A house would probably appreciate more than a condo, yeah, but a condo would not depreciate...generally only cars do that. Definitely check it out...I love Whalers Cove and you should too! I would also wager property taxes on condos are a lot less than houses. It's really about what you prefer.

It's also a really close walk to Babylon Village which is a great place for some dinner & drinkeroos.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:54 PM

40 posts, read 90,190 times
My husband and I are in the same boat. We have been looking for a house in babylon village for a full year. We want to start a family this year and I plan on being a stay at home mom for approx 5 years. Any house in the village that we can afford on one salary needs a lot of work. We have come close to buying homes outside the village, but in the end, the village is where we want to be. So we are thinking of buying a condo in the village commons and then when I go back to work, buying a home in my dream area aka- the Indian section. We have heard a lot from our families about the value of owning a home, but in the end the only thing that really matters is what works best for your particular situation. BTW- the whalers cove condos have dropped about $40-50,000 since we began looking last summer. Good time to buy and hopefully in years to come you can sell for some sort of profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island