U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM

65 posts, read 67,592 times

Advertisements

I'm in need of a room to rent, max $500/month preferrably in the Rocky Point School district, but Miller Place is ok too.

It's myself (I'm 39) and my 7 yr old son. He's a good kid and quiet.

I'm quiet, reliable, mature, neat/clean and I DO NOT party. I do not smoke or drink. I'm sort of a homebody anyway. I have references upon request.

If possible, I can barter babysitting/childcare and/or light housecleaning for rent. I have worked in retail hardware for 18 years, and can also do light repairs around the house. I can also help w/ your computer if need be!

I would ask that I could share your internet, as I am starting college online in september, I would be fine w/ splitting the internet costs.

If you have a room, or know anyone that has a room for rent.....or even an accessory studio/1BR apt (for more)... and is willing to barter for some of the rent, please PM me here or send me an email thru my profile.

Last edited by FallenAnjel; 08-07-2009 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAnjel View Post
I'm in need of a room to rent, max $500/month preferrably in the Rocky Point School district, but Miller Place is ok too.

I'm quiet, reliable, mature, neat/clean and I DO NOT party. I'm sort of a homebody anyway. I have references upon request.

If possible, I can barter babysitting/childcare and/or light housecleaning for rent. I have worked in retail hardware for 18 years, and can also do light repairs around the house. I can also help w/ your computer if need be!

I would ask that I could share your internet, as I am starting college online in september, I would be fine w/ splitting the internet costs.

If you have a room, or know anyone that has a room for rent.....or even an accessory studio/1BR apt... and is willing to barter for some of the rent, please PM me here or send me an email thru my profile.
you generally cannot find anything to rent on LI for that little money...good luck though. Don't be discouraged, surprised or disappointed if everything you are finding is @ least $900...b/c that's what LI has come to now.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:00 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,902,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
you generally cannot find anything to rent on LI for that little money...good luck though. Don't be discouraged, surprised or disappointed if everything you are finding is @ least $900...b/c that's what LI has come to now.
Agreed...LI is ridiculous with apartment rent. You can try finding a roommate to share rent with if you can find a decent place under $1K but know that its going to be real tough to find a place for $500 just for yourself.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 AM

I know I've lived here my whole life. My first BR/LR combo apt in 1991 was $400/month. 8 yrs later my apt. was $600, then the 2 BR house 5 yrs later was $900 + everything (it was a total dump too). Studios now, are no less than $900. It's sickening.

However, I'm willing to barter babysitting, housecleaning, computer help, and/or light home repairs for rent money. Babysitters charge what now? $10/hr? 10 hrs is $100. On my days off, the parents can run to the store anytime and I'd be there w/ the kids.

W. the way this "economy" is going (aka..people spending more than they can afford), people are going to be looking to barter more. (One can hope, right?) LOL...

Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 AM

7,658 posts, read 16,218,002 times
Quote:

I'm quiet, reliable, mature, neat/clean and I DO NOT party. I do not smoke or drink. I'm sort of a homebody anyway. I have references upon request.

If you have a room, or know anyone that has a room for rent.....or even an accessory studio/1BR apt... and is willing to barter for some of the rent, please PM me here or send me an email thru my profile.
Sorry to say thats not gonna happen for 500 ...maybe as an Au Pair.

Good luck

Crooks

Old 08-07-2009, 10:04 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,506,027 times
Quote:
I know I've lived here my whole life. My first BR/LR combo apt in 1991 was $400/month. 8 yrs later my apt. was $600, then the 2 BR house 5 yrs later was $900 + everything (it was a total dump too). Studios now, are no less than $900. It's sickening.

However, I'm willing to barter babysitting, housecleaning, computer help, and/or light home repairs for rent money. Babysitters charge what now? $10/hr? 10 hrs is $100. On my days off, the parents can run to the store anytime and I'd be there w/ the kids.

W. the way this "economy" is going (aka..people spending more than they can afford), people are going to be looking to barter more. (One can hope, right?) LOL...
Honestly that's the thing tho...b/c the economy is so bad, a lot of people are doing things for themselves now instead of hiring people. I hope it works out for you but I don't think bartering is going to get you anywhere.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 AM

3,788 posts, read 6,671,323 times
Quote:

Definitely you're going to need a roommate for that budget.

I would suggest looking in Yankee trader, Pennysaver, try Craigslist (but I have reservations about that place), see if Newsday online has anything.

If I hear or see something I will let you know.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 AM

9,901 posts, read 12,973,449 times
I don't think you can do $500, but I also don't think you should take the rent that is being asked for as etched in stone. Sometimes it's wishful thinking by the owner.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 AM

dman72, thank you. true, very true. I was just thinking that a few min. ago. I'm going to hang a card at work, I know so many people there, I may find something there.

thebobs... I am not posting on craigslist either... that place scares me, LOL.... if it were just me, I may post there, but w/ my son, no way.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:00 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Since you are willing to help out with housework, maybe a senior who is an empty nester would take you and your son in. A lot of older people want to be independent and live in their own home, but are not strong enough anymore to do the work around the house and end up needing household help anyway, sometimes live-in or people working around the clock in shifts (happened to my friend's now-deceased mom).

Now how will you find them ... call Suffolk County and see if they have any day programs, etc., for elderly people in the Rocky Point area and if they do, contact the program and ask if you can email a flyer that they would post on their bulletin board. Look up houses of worship in Rocky Point and do the same. Do the same for the public library. Think of other places seniors might congregate and try to get the word out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or