U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 756 times
Default Do I stay or do I go?

I was born and raised in Sayville, NY. My husband and I met there. We married there, we had our children there. We had an offer to move to AZ in April. Once we spend EVERY LAST PENNY to move out here, the offer was recinded and we're left up the creek without a paddle.

I left a good job on LI, making decent money. The benefits were AWESOME! Here in AZ, we don't have any money. My husband took a job making 10/hr... barely enough to keep the lights on and food on the table.

I have an offer to go back to working at my old job. Same salary, benefits starting immediately.

The only problem is we're broke! I have some money coming to us at the end of the month.. so that doesn't really help us. Our family can't lend us the money until my resources come in. We're trying to sell all of our belongings and travel light.. but we have 2 kids. All their stuff is here. We can't just get rid of everything.

So.. do I stay.. and use the money i have coming at the end of the month to pay off our debts here... and pray to God I find a job within the next 3 weeks. OR.. do I use the money we get from selling what we can, trailoring the rest and move back?

We don't have any friends or family here in AZ. Well, my husband knows like 3 people. My daughter started school, and she has friends (in Kindergarten). I know no one. All my friends are back home. Also, I asked my boss to go out on a limb for me.. vouch for my work and beg for me to come back.

Now what?!?!

PLEASE HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 02:00 PM

316 posts, read 548,322 times
If that 'offer' (job offer?) was in writing, I'd talk with a lawyer before doing anything else.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM

63 posts, read 175,925 times
Can you come back on your own and live with a friend or family member temporarily while you start working at your old job? If that works out, then the rest of the family can follow?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:54 PM

15,734 posts, read 15,982,903 times
Use the money to come back! Once you are on your feet here, you can pay off the bills in AZ (I am assuming it is utilities, etc.).

You have a firm job offer here. You have nothing there and I doubt a job will appear there in 3 weeks.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:35 PM

53 posts, read 103,597 times
Come back....

Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 PM

653 posts, read 1,052,653 times
Sell you gold and come back.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 PM

165 posts, read 282,145 times
aw, not an easy place to be right now and I feel for you. If it is possible for you and your family to come home, you should. There is nothing like having the love and support from your family and friends. Sayville is a beautiful town and I am sure it was hard to leave to begin with. You will make the right decision, follow your heart and I am sure it will lead you back here

Old 08-07-2009, 08:57 PM

2,350 posts, read 3,466,225 times
If you know for sure that you have your old job.... come back home !

Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 PM

39 posts, read 53,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedAllDay View Post
I was born and raised in Sayville, NY. My husband and I met there. We married there, we had our children there.
I do not have any advice to offer...it's just that your story moved me to where I wanted to wish you and your family all the best.

Best of Luck!

Old 08-08-2009, 06:27 AM

366 posts, read 650,436 times
Come back. At least you know you have something set up here. In today's economy, you need to be where the work is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island