Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:27 AM

48 posts, read 91,761 times

Advertisements

Is "Robert Moses" the only other one, is it a free public beach? Any others?
I've been looking through the forums and have been getting bits and pieces of info on Suffolk beaches that may be a bit too far and not public...Smith Point/Davis Park/ Watch Hill

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 11:40 AM

654 posts, read 2,119,614 times
Jones Beach is not free nor is Robert Moses. You pay by the carload. Some communitees have their own beach. If you live in the community it is free.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:06 PM

48 posts, read 91,761 times
Thank you. Okay, forget free, I don't mind paying. Does anyone know if they charge per person or by car. Not certain what "pay by the carload" means....pay per person in the car or one price per car?

Can anyone go to Long Beach? Or is it restricted to residents? Do they charge per person? Thanks

Old 08-08-2009, 12:13 PM

123 posts, read 647,203 times
Long Beach is 10 dollars per person per day, unless you have a resident pass.

The Town of Hempstead Beaches (Lido, Lido West--my favorite, Point Lookout, Nickerson) are quite close to Long Beach. You pay by the carload
(7.00 I think) if you have proof that you are a resident of the Town of Hempstead, i.e. Driver's License.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:19 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,175 times
Jones Beach is $8 per car.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:32 PM

123 posts, read 647,203 times
Top 10 Long Island beaches for kids

Newsday on beaches

Old 08-08-2009, 12:36 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,697 times
Technically, Jones Beach and Robert Moses are free. You pay to park a car. if you came by bus, you would not pay. BTW, if you use state parks (including the beach) regularly, buy an Empire Passport every April.

Long Beach has high non-resident fees to discourage day trippers, because it's the only beach located within walking distance of the LIRR.

The beaches in Lido are very nice but with ALL beaches in that area, beware of riptides. I nearly drowned when I was 12. It's $20 to enter (per car) if you're not a Nassau County resident.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:06 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Technically, Jones Beach and Robert Moses are free. You pay to park a car. if you came by bus, you would not pay. BTW, if you use state parks (including the beach) regularly, buy an Empire Passport every April.

Long Beach has high non-resident fees to discourage day trippers, because it's the only beach located within walking distance of the LIRR.

The beaches in Lido are very nice but with ALL beaches in that area, beware of riptides. I nearly drowned when I was 12. It's $20 to enter (per car) if you're not a Nassau County resident.
Good point about the rips. We put out a daily outlook for Rip currents during the summer here...

National Weather Service Text Product Display

Most days this summer have been Moderate.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:26 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
All state parks in NY are $8 per car - they call it a "vehicle use fee" - whether it's a beach or a regular park (like Bethpage or Caumsett) it's $8.

Towns that have beaches charge their own fee and it depends on the town. In HUntington, there are several beaches, but they are on bays and coves. You buy a sticker at the beginning of the season and you can get in as often as you like. I don't know what the fee is, haven't lived there in years - last I knew it was $15.

There are also parks with pools that have fees. The amount you pay depends on whether you live in the town. Same with beaches. There can be beaches that are right next to each other on the south shore (ocean) that are owned by the state, county or town.

Confusing enough?!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:49 PM

748 posts, read 2,886,994 times
Town of Oyster bay also has some beaches for the use of town residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island