Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,032 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My fiance and I are interested in moving to Nassau County from Queens. We are looking to spend no more than approx $400k. We are looking for good schools(doesn't have to be #1) and a safe neighborhood that fits our budget. We are of Indian decent and are hoping not to deal with a lot of racism - where ever we decide to call home. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 03:12 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,306,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBoY4U View Post
Hello all. My fiance and I are interested in moving to Nassau County from Queens. We are looking to spend no more than approx $400k. We are looking for good schools(doesn't have to be #1) and a safe neighborhood that fits our budget. We are of Indian decent and are hoping not to deal with a lot of racism - where ever we decide to call home. Any ideas?
Hicksville has lot of indians...it's a decent place

Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 PM

659 posts, read 2,510,404 times
Hicksville sounds like the best choice for your situation and budget.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,032 times
Anything other than Hicksville? That's too Indian for me! I was born and raised here and I feel more American than Indian. Also, I am Caribbean Indian, not Indian from India. Big difference!!!

How about Merrick, Bellmore, Wantaugh or Massapequa?

Old 08-09-2009, 04:42 PM

654 posts, read 2,114,637 times
I like East Rockaway. It borders Lynbrook and Oceanside. Everyone is friendly. Small neighborhood. Very safe. No, it is nowhere near Far Rockaway. ER has a nice beach at the end of town, Bay Park has a golf course, boat ramp, park for kids. It is th etype of neighborhood that nobody passes through unless you are visiting someone. Since it is on the water with no major streets nobody bothers going through it. Its great. I grew up there. It has a good school district.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:55 PM

745 posts, read 1,501,239 times
Try Floral Park. A lot of my DH's west Indian friends live over there. Plus Singh's is near there and you can get some awesome doubles!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:44 PM

487 posts, read 1,360,953 times
east meadow is another good nab for you, decent sized indian population

Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 PM

15 posts, read 48,958 times
I work in levittown and love the school there. It is predominantly white, but the kids and families are very nice. Levittown, Wantagh and Massapequa are all good.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 AM

43 posts, read 156,594 times
you can find some great foreclosures or even regular sale homes for sale. There are a lot of racist people out in long island so I would look into valley stream which has a good school district and all sorts of people live there plus the green acres mall is there.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 AM

19,794 posts, read 20,557,673 times
I would suggest forgetting about moving anywhere in NY state and go elsewhere.
Make as much NY money as you can and go somewhere else where your bucks will go a long way.
But, if you just *have* to stay around here, you'd fit in just about anywhere on LI.
LI as a whole is much more tolerant of color than in the past.
At this point Nassau is mostly Queens transplants anyway, so you shouldn't have any major issues.
But, and I've said this a hundred times before, you could move into the most racially tolerant community on all of LI and end up living next door to the one racist in the community. That's just the way it is. Total crapshoot.
I'd be more concerned with other issues more than racism here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island