Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I would get it towed back to your apartment if I were you. One thing I suggest is before the car gets towed out of there open the hood and make sure everything is intact. I had a friend with a 1998 Ford Contour. He was not able to get the car started and pushed it to a shop. They told him that it was the timing belt and gave him a high price. He had it brought to his house for me to look at and when I opened the hood they had left the timing chain cover off, accessory parts and brackets off, etc. I fixed the car for him and all of the parts turned out to be there but there were bolts missing that he had to go and buy in order for me to put everything back together. It also took me longer to do the job since I had to figure out where everything went since I did not get to see it together before doing it.
Ok, thanks for the suggestions, I'll be towing it to my apartment tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 AM

The technical mumbo jumbo is here.... please let me know what you guys think...

1. Exhaust Camshaft has a lot of play in it.
2. Gear going into the timing "CHAIN" has broken off the retaining pin. Its possible that one of the pistons maybe damaged.
3. Head containing the valves will have to be replaced, major engine components involved.

Thanks for your help guys !!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 AM

874 posts, read 2,875,214 times
Ok. I can't say anything about the camshaft having a lot of "play" in it just yet. If the gear broke off of the retaining pin the gear is obviously bad but that does not mean the cam is necessarily bad unless the tab that the gear goes on actually broke since the tab is part of the cam. If the engine is an interference engine the valves probably do have to be replaced. I will start trying to find out if it is an interference motor in a few minutes.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:32 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Ok I gotta ask. What is an interference engine?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Ok I gotta ask. What is an interference engine?
An interference engine means that if the engine goes out of timing the exhaust and intake valves can hit the piston. This happens because since it is out of the correct timing, the valves can be open when the piston reaches "top dead center" which means when the piston is as high as it can go in the cylinder. When the valve hits the piston, the valve(s) can break or bend and the engine will not run since whichever cylinder has the bent or broken valve(s) will not hold compression.

A non-interference engine or "freeewheeling engine" means that there is enough clearance between the valves and the top of the pistons that you can take the timing belt off and spin the camshaft all you want and the valves will not hit the piston.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 AM

95 posts, read 206,844 times
Also interference engines are designed that way to allow for better engine performance in a smaller package and at reduced cost to the manufacturer.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:06 AM

I found out that the 1999 Toyota Corolla with the 1.8 four cylinder engine is indeed an interference engine. I called five different Toyota dealers and told them that I owned one and that the timing chain broke and that I was trying to find out if the engine is an interference type or not. Four out of the five dealerships service departments told me it was in fact an interference motor. The one that told me it was not an interference engine was a female whom did not even put me on hold to check and just stated that ALL Toyota engines are non-interference which I know for a fact is not true.

Sorry for having to give you the bad news. If it was a non-interference engine I was going to offer doing the chain for free but at this point head work will definitely be involved and there is a good chance you can be looking at around $1,500 between having the head done and buying the parts needed to do the entire job (chain, gears, gaskets, etc.) even if I were to do it for you for free. For the same amount of money you can buy a used car that may not be great but at least runs until you are done with the closing on your house.

Also, the one dealership actually put one of the mechanics on the phone with me and without my saying that the car had gone to a mechanic shop he did tell me that when the timing chain goes on that particular engine that it CAN damage other internal engine parts as well; not just the valves in the head. He did not tell me the reason for this but I am guessing that perhaps if the gears break it can drop little pieces of metal into the oil pan which can get circulated with the oil before the engine actually shuts off. This would not happen with a belt since no oil circulates around it. All of the timing chains I have seen have the oil lubricate the chain and then the oil goes back into the oil pan to recirculate around the engine.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:19 AM

Just for the record, I have found that MOST Toyota engines are non-interference engines. Unfortunately you have one of the few that are.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
I have nothing to add but Egobop that's really kind of you to help another forum user out like you are.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
Just for the record, I have found that MOST Toyota engines are non-interference engines. Unfortunately you have one of the few that are.
Hi Egobop,
Agreeing with the last poster.... Thank you so much for all the information that you got for me going out of your way, I sincerely appreciate it.
As it was all technical stuff it went right over my head.... the initial thought is always that the mechanic is ripping me off, but people like you can provide me with 2nd or 3rd opinions so that I can be comfortable, once again.... many thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island