Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM

228 posts, read 810,224 times

Advertisements

Stony Brook is great. I got my undergraduate from SBU. The Diversity at Stony Brook can not be beat. What program are you going for? As for housing, if you have a car their are places around SBU that have decent deals... Port Jeff, Lake Grove, Setuakeaut, most of these deals involve sharing a house with people. You will likely get a private bedroom and a shared kitchen and bath. Are you going to be on the main campus? If so maybe you can live further west and just take the train to the campus everyday. I commuted for summer classes twice a week from Syosset by train, which was like an hour. It was alright. If you don't mind a longer train commute you can look at areas like Huntington, Northport, Syosset, Hicksville, Westbury, Mineola. All of those places have train connections to Stony Brook. Mineola is the furthest west about 1 hour 20 minutes from Stony Brook and 40 minutes from the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 AM

556 posts, read 1,445,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Whoa!
Easy on the CSH/Huntington/Greenlawn/Northport...thats a hike.
(ask a local)

Id go from maybe Kings Park to Rocky Point on the North Shore.
If you are going to be using the Hamptons campus too
Id stay east of 112.

Crooks
I would much rather come from Northport then Rocky Point. I lived in Rocky point and let me tell you when it takes 45 mins to make it to class, or your car slides sideways down those huge hills on a winter day, makes you regret it. Running on the beach cannot be beat though.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:58 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
I would much rather come from Northport then Rocky Point. I lived in Rocky point and let me tell you when it takes 45 mins to make it to class, or your car slides sideways down those huge hills on a winter day, makes you regret it. Running on the beach cannot be beat though.
Really...did you go by moped?
Dog Sled?

Lower RP to PJ to SB is a beautiful ride and it takes about 20min.

(And I agree the beach/bluffs are pretty fantastic for a run)

Northport is much further.

Crooks

Old 08-17-2009, 02:41 PM

31 posts, read 89,974 times
Stony Brook graduate programs are pretty good. I lived pretty much all around Stony Brook -- nearby areas to consider are Stony Brook (if you rent here privately, stay away from renting room in the houses owned by a certain lady called Indra Kaushal), Port Jefferson (very nice), Port Jefferson Station, Selden, Lake Grove, Centereach, Coram, and others as mentioned above. Your commute is no more than 15 (+/-5) minutes minutes drive from any of these places. The easiest of course is to live in university provided graduate student apartments such as Chapin and Schomburg.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt007 View Post
... Port Jefferson (very nice), Port Jefferson Station, Selden, Lake Grove, Centereach, Coram, and others as mentioned above.

You forgot to include the Village of Nissequogue, the Village of Head of the Harbor and the Hamlet of Saint James in the Town of Smithtown and the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket, the Hamlet of Terryville and the Hamlet of Mount Sinai in the Town of Brookhaven.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:28 PM

130 posts, read 535,949 times
Hey, don't know what you are going for in graduate studies, but like WJFM said, our son graduated with a dual major and then did his graduate studies there as well in computer science. He got a job right out of the gate for a starting salary of $70,000. In one year he had five raises, no bull here, and they are constantly looking for new and more people and can't find them. By the way, he works for a company right here on Long Island that has won numerous webby (sp?) awards. His boss always says to him, that he has never found someone so prepared from a school in all the years he has been hiring. He even used our son's training in writing proposals for company's interested in obtaining websites. No one else in the company could write them or if they did, they weren't very good. Now granted, our son has always been smart, but I do credit his training and schooling at Stony Brook for a lot of it. His professors were excellent, and he worked on a program with another student he was friends with on computer hacking on company's websites. That program earned him honors and he was asked to go on and work one on one with the professor to advance it even further and it was a program written by six professors from Berkeley and very advanced. So I would wholeheartedly recommend Stony Brook University especially for computer science. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Really...did you go by moped?
Dog Sled?

Lower RP to PJ to SB is a beautiful ride and it takes about 20min.

(And I agree the beach/bluffs are pretty fantastic for a run)

Northport is much further.

Crooks
Crooks --

That's on a good day, not during regular commuting hours.

I have done the ride SB LIRR/25A to Noahs/Hallock and if I have the road free and clear, we're talking 20-25 mins using 25a then from PJ using North Country/RP Landing Rd.

The student has to get to the South P lot, catch a campus bus and then walk to class. S/he has to figure in another 15 mins for that, depending on the time of day, too.

Northport is certainly further. I've done the KP to SB ride weeknights leaving KP around 5-505 PM arriving at the SB LIRR lot at 5:27-5:32.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island