Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 AM

26 posts, read 91,690 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I've been lurking these forums for a while but can't seem to get a straight answer so this is my first post! My husband and I (originally from LI) are currently living in Forest Hills and looking to move back to LI. The only town we can both agree on is the village of Huntington....great town, beautiful homes and nice size properties. (Northport is another option but seems just a little too far East for us) However, we are concerned with the schools. Although we do not have children yet, we plan to start a family soon. Education is extremely important to both of us but we would like to be able to utilize the public schools with confidence....at least on an elementary school level.

We have heard many mixed responses on this topic.

What are your HONEST experiences with the public schools in dist 3? Do most people use the public elementary schools or do the majority use private schools? Are the schools improving or going downhill? Do We love Huntington so much, but if the schools really seem to be as issue we may consider looking in another district.

Also, so many homes are for sale in Huntington! Should that be a concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:18 AM

30 posts, read 64,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBound99 View Post
Hi All! I've been lurking these forums for a while but can't seem to get a straight answer so this is my first post! My husband and I (originally from LI) are currently living in Forest Hills and looking to move back to LI. The only town we can both agree on is the village of Huntington....great town, beautiful homes and nice size properties. (Northport is another option but seems just a little too far East for us) However, we are concerned with the schools. Although we do not have children yet, we plan to start a family soon. Education is extremely important to both of us but we would like to be able to utilize the public schools with confidence....at least on an elementary school level.

We have heard many mixed responses on this topic.

What are your HONEST experiences with the public schools in dist 3? Do most people use the public elementary schools or do the majority use private schools? Are the schools improving or going downhill? Do We love Huntington so much, but if the schools really seem to be as issue we may consider looking in another district.

Also, so many homes are for sale in Huntington! Should that be a concern?

I've heard the elementary schools up there are pretty good..the high school not so much. But here's the thing, you've got soooooo much time ahead of you you're kids arent even born yet. When they are they'll be born into an area that has so much going on. Plus the ymca in Huntington is an incredibly structured resource and has alot of programs tailored to children. Most of the kids at the Y are from the CSH district so things run like clockwork there. they have an abundance of classes tailored towards toddlers. Then when your kids become of school age they can go to nice elementary schools up there. In 15 years when they enter high school so much can change. If you dont like what you see, you send them to sT. Anthonys, 15 minutes away or move one town over to CSH. Take life day by day and enjoy Huntington Village. I lived there when I was on LI and it was fabulous..

Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 AM

I totally agree with you about the kids being unborn at this point. But so many times, you hear "buy for the school district". We know that CSH, Harborfields and Elwood would be better choices district wise, but we would not get nearly as much for our money in those areas if we could afford it at all.

I grew up in Masssapequa and had many friends from South Amityville, but EVERYONE went to private school. I am wondering if the same thing is going on in Huntington. Based on other posts, it seems to be split with some favoring private vs public at the elementary level unless I'm missing something.

The housing market is such a mess now that we want to make a good decision. Buy a larger house on a bigger property in a neighborhood we love or buy a smaller house on a smaller property in nearby Harborfields or Elwood District? Its a real toss up!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,404 times
IF you can afford to live in huntington village you can afford to send our kids to a private school. So I would not worry about it.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default A map of the Huntington Union Free School District

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Huntington Union Free School District includes all or part of the Village of Huntington Bay, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Hamlet of Huntington, the Hamlet of Huntington Station, the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Village of Lloyd Harbor.

A map of the Huntington Union Free School District:

Old 11-21-2010, 03:19 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,023 times
Find yourself a great neighborhood in your price range and don't be afraid of anything in Huntington. It's a great town to live in, grow up in and go to school in.
Issues that some people have had with the station area are ongoing. But if you buy just south of the village, within a few blocks, you are still fine and of course, the more pricey north is fine as well. Don't buy south of the Big H shopping center near NY Ave.
The schools, even the high school are fantastic. Your children will get a great education with many opportunities to expand their interests, be it in sports, music or the arts. The students get millions in scholarships and go to every college imaginable, including Ivy League.
Go to www.hufsd.edu and click on any area you want to view. You'll see that there is no question about the educational value of Huntington.
My brother, sister and I went through the schools and so did my three children. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Also, someone's comment about the YMCA having a great reputation is true. The preschool there is very affordable and you get many additional programs included in your tuition, such as swimming, fitness and arts in ed programs. Not true that most of the kids there are from Cold Spring Harbor, in fact, very few are. Most are from Huntington, South Huntington, Greenlawn and Northport areas. There is a new wing this year with large classrooms - also a new strength training center.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks so much. This was a very helpful answer, 7CatMom. With all the $$ in the village area and the price of the taxes, I had hoped for an answer like this. It would be a shame to live in one of the best towns in Long Island and not be able to utilize the public schools!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Find yourself a great neighborhood in your price range and don't be afraid of anything in Huntington. It's a great town to live in, grow up in and go to school in.
Issues that some people have had with the station area are ongoing. But if you buy just south of the village, within a few blocks, you are still fine and of course, the more pricey north is fine as well. Don't buy south of the Big H shopping center near NY Ave.
The schools, even the high school are fantastic. Your children will get a great education with many opportunities to expand their interests, be it in sports, music or the arts. The students get millions in scholarships and go to every college imaginable, including Ivy League.
Go to www.hufsd.edu and click on any area you want to view. You'll see that there is no question about the educational value of Huntington.
My brother, sister and I went through the schools and so did my three children. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Also, someone's comment about the YMCA having a great reputation is true. The preschool there is very affordable and you get many additional programs included in your tuition, such as swimming, fitness and arts in ed programs. Not true that most of the kids there are from Cold Spring Harbor, in fact, very few are. Most are from Huntington, South Huntington, Greenlawn and Northport areas. There is a new wing this year with large classrooms - also a new strength training center.
Thank you 7CatMom! I love living in Huntington, but if I (as a Realtor) were to make your comments, they would be considered self-serving

Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM

Walter, Thanks for this info. However, the topic of this post is not for geography purposes. We are specifically speaking of Huntington School District 3- which has nothing to do with the "municipal villages". For the sake of this forum, I think its safe to refer to Huntington as a "town in Suffolk county Long Island", to not confuse people. Thanks!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Please get back on topic. If you want to know if someplace is a town, village or hamlet do so in a separate thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island