Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times

Advertisements

Check this out....

New York Housing Finance : Mortgage Credit Certificate Program Term Sheet (http://nyhomes.org/index.aspx?page=899 - broken link)

If you are in NY and a first time home buyer and are eligible for this, then you do not have to worry about the $8K first time federal credit expiring anymore.
You will get more $$$ back at the end of say 10 years or so under this new scheme.

Only catch is that I think they will prevent people from double dipping !! i.e. the $8K credit this year plus the Credit Certificate also.... I'm sure they are going to make this effective starting Dec 2 (after the $8k eligibility expires)

It also means that its possible that there might be bigger and bigger incentives offered by the state and federal governments in the future to prop up the house prices....

I can already visualize those powerpoint slides at the first time home buyer seminars that shows how you can save upto $80,000 bucks over the life of the loan if you buy "NOW" !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
The rub seems to be that it must be a newly constructed home in a "Targeted Area". I couldn't find a list of where those areas are on Long Island.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
The rub seems to be that it must be a newly constructed home in a "Targeted Area". I couldn't find a list of where those areas are on Long Island.
Check this out Tom....

Eligible Properties must:
  • Be located in New York State;
  • Have a sales price that does not exceed SONYMA's Purchase Price limits (click here to see Purchase Price Limits for your area (http://nyhomes.org/index.aspx?page=146 - broken link));
  • Not be have been used for any business or commercial purpose;
  • Be one of the following property types:
    • Existing or newly constructed one family home (includes condominiums and cooperatives);
    • Existing two, three, and four family home that is at least five years old as of the SONYMA loan application date and has been used only as a residence during the past five years;
    • Two family home located in a Target Area that is newly constructed or was constructed within the five years prior to the SONYMA loan application date; and

• Have a maximum of five (5) acres.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 PM

431 posts, read 1,310,652 times
From what I have read you can take advantage of this AND the $8000 credit. Also that you can sign up for the program beginning on September. So the chance of getting both is limited to a 3 month time frame.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
From what I have read you can take advantage of this AND the $8000 credit. Also that you can sign up for the program beginning on September. So the chance of getting both is limited to a 3 month time frame.
Yeah that would be awesome if they do implement this in September though.
I spoke to the SONYMA guy yesterday and he told told me how other homeowners who closed within the past 2-3 months were livid because this scheme is not going to be retroactive.... meaning, if you have closed or going to close before September, you are out of luck.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:01 AM

487 posts, read 1,364,126 times
there is a household income limit

New York Housing Finance : Region IX: LONG ISLAND

Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassbin View Post
there is a household income limit

New York Housing Finance : Region IX: LONG ISLAND
I think the limits are almost the same as for SONYMA loans, maybe a little better, but remember that this is only for first time buyers.

If a family with one child have an income of 150k (ineligible for this program).... in most of the cases they might already be home owners.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:38 PM

253 posts, read 808,728 times
Also you can't get the MCC if you have a SONYMA mortgage.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 PM

138 posts, read 492,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
Also you can't get the MCC if you have a SONYMA mortgage.
where do you see that rule?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 PM

431 posts, read 1,310,652 times
I thought mcc will be part of sonyma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island