U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,203,147 times
Default Lousy Weather

I have really had it with these stalled fronts. We got 2 more days stuck in clouds and it will never really dry out. Summers are just getting so humid here. I remember heat waves when I was younger. They were actually more intense, but the weather changed. It didn't stay a certain way, like, all summer. We'd have those summer heat waves, then they'd be broken by a squall line of severe thunderstorms, and it'd be cooler and drier for a week. But we never get relief. It never gets that hot because of the constant south flow, but the humidity is terrible and persistant. I can count on one hand the amount of dry, comfortable days we've had this summer. The summers are milder, the winters are milder, and it's just more humid and cloudy.
The reason is a blocking high pressure ridge in the Atlantic. This ridge is almost a permanant feature for the past few years. It blocks the normal progression of frontal systems. So we dont have strong fronts. Instead of heat waves broken by rapidly moving cold fronts, we have constant humidity as the fronts slow and fall apart before they get here.
What is left is clouds and haze. I think anyone has their head in the sand to not see how Long Island's climate has changed.
I was watching a show called "That's Impossible" on the History channel and they were talking about HAARP, an antenna array used as part of an experiment to see if weather can be controlled. Some say ever since it became operational, this Atlantic Ridge has formed and been anamoulously strong and persistant.
I hate this Stalled Front Syndrome as I call it, because it chokes us in clouds and humidity while a few hundred miles to the west in PA it's sunny and dry.
I have noticed the weather having a certain effect on my health. Up until a few years ago my weight was fairly steady and I could easily get by on 6 hours of sleep. However, my weight is increasing and appitite decreasing, and I always need 9-10 hours of sleep. My metabolism is being slowed down, perhaps due to a decrease in Vitamin D due to lack of sunshine. Also humid air makes it uncomfortable to walk outside. Alot of ppl think that weather doesn't effect them but it does.
I really dont want to leave LI, but I have to say I dont think my body can take many more years of this kind of climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:28 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,143,958 times
Be happy it isn't sunny 24/7. How boring would that be? I get tired of hot, sunny days after a week. My newlywed husband and I just got back from 2 weeks in Greece, where there wasn't a cloud in the sky the entire time, and 100 degrees everyday. Just from that makes us want cooler, rainy weather. I love the weather we've had the last 2 days. It's always such a relief to have cooler rainy days in the summer. I've had enough of summer for a while now, bring on fall

Old 08-13-2009, 05:11 AM

1,813 posts, read 3,340,526 times
Yes, the weather has changed on LI. Welcome to the effects of climate change.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:55 AM

875 posts, read 1,451,999 times
I do not think this summer has been bad at all. We have had some humidity but we have humidity every year. I do not even think it has been as humid as years past.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,468,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I have noticed the weather having a certain effect on my health. Up until a few years ago my weight was fairly steady and I could easily get by on 6 hours of sleep. However, my weight is increasing and appitite decreasing, and I always need 9-10 hours of sleep. My metabolism is being slowed down, perhaps due to a decrease in Vitamin D due to lack of sunshine.
LOL ROFL. You are blaming the weather for this??????? Dude, wake up, its called getting OLDER.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 AM

703 posts, read 950,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
LOL ROFL. You are blaming the weather for this??????? Dude, wake up, its called getting OLDER.
"Help, the Mexicans stole my youth!"

Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,502,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
you're way off. His declining health is obviously due to illegal immigrants and low flying planes over central nassau.

Or maybe the planes are causing the change in the weather. Or maybe the weather is causing an increase in immigrants. I can't quite pin it down...

Old 08-13-2009, 09:56 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,468,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
"Help, the Mexicans stole my youth!"
Maybe they brought the humid weather with them

Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 AM

875 posts, read 1,451,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
you're way off. His declining health is obviously due to illegal immigrants and low flying planes over central nassau.

Or maybe the planes are causing the change in the weather. Or maybe the weather is causing an increase in immigrants. I can't quite pin it down...
This is wrong as well. The planes are flying lower so that the illegal immigrants do not have as far to fall when they jump out of the planes. The exhaust from the planes are contributing to global warming which is blotting out the sun and stalling all clouds over Long Island which is creating the vitamin deficiency which is causing everyone to gain wait which is the cause of the obesity problem in this country.

Just for the record; I am actually not trying to anger anyone. I am just joking so I hope that JohninWestbury is not taking it personal.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,143,958 times
lol...You guys are mean. Give him a break. I know it's silly to blame weather for your ailments, but don't be so mean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island