Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM

153 posts, read 606,331 times

Advertisements

Last minute window question.

We are meeting with tri-state tonight. Any thoughts on triple pane vs double pane? One tri-state person says triple, another says double.

I know triple is going to be more efficient, but is that really needed on long island?

It's about 800$ more to go with triple pane.

Any last minute advice / experience would be great.

Last edited by mr.mrs.b.i; 08-17-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 03:28 PM

112 posts, read 249,014 times
I am still deciding between Royal and Tri State.

Royal's quote was for the double pane and Tri State double hung was a Triple Pane.

Both companies their own window factories located on the Island.

I did like finish of the Tri State window a bit more but I am still debating the quotes.

Royal gave me a better price which included all new window moldings and outside trim for sliding glass patio. Try to nail down a price per double hung installed and the price for moldings if needed.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:26 PM

99 posts, read 272,685 times
Id definitely just do double pane windows. I have heard bad things about leaks in triple pane windows etc. Also as far as physics is concerned, having 3 panes will not really improve insulation. A double pane window is 2 panes with argon in between which is a very poor conductor of heat so it insulates well. A piece of glass is a very good conductor of heat. So have a sanwiched layer of gas rather than gas/glass/gas will perform just about as well. The only real benefit of triple pane windows is noise reduction. Also our average year round temperature is about 52 degrees. there are periods of extremes like july/aug and jan/feb, but most of the year it is not that bad here. If the triple pane is not very much more then why not, but if it is much more it is not worth it.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Double is fine, dont waste your money with the triple.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:33 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,803 times
take into consideration if one qualifies for the 30%/$1500 tax credit but not the other... the efficiency of all windows should be right on the label

Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 AM

Thanks so much for all the comments!

Double pane it is. Stupid sales men getting in your head.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:39 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialp View Post
Id definitely just do double pane windows. I have heard bad things about leaks in triple pane windows etc. Also as far as physics is concerned, having 3 panes will not really improve insulation. A double pane window is 2 panes with argon in between which is a very poor conductor of heat so it insulates well. A piece of glass is a very good conductor of heat. So have a sanwiched layer of gas rather than gas/glass/gas will perform just about as well. The only real benefit of triple pane windows is noise reduction. Also our average year round temperature is about 52 degrees. there are periods of extremes like july/aug and jan/feb, but most of the year it is not that bad here. If the triple pane is not very much more then why not, but if it is much more it is not worth it.

+1. Triple pane is a gimmick.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 PM

112 posts, read 249,014 times
Tri State triple pane does have the lowest U-Factor (.16) that I have found.

Another benefit of their triple pane is that you can have "art glass" in them, which I was considering for a window or two.

I need to compare the cost of Tri State Double vs Triple Pane windows. Most other companies quotes that I have received are for double pane window. I am still leaning towards the triple pane double hungs depending on the price difference.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 AM

Well after everything, we went with double pane tri-state. Triple pane was only 50 bucks more PER windows, but when you had up 15+ windows, it adds up.

Double pane should work fine for us. I was even looking at the energy star ratings, and by 2015, "energy star" windows should be between .24 and .33 for Long Island

Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM

316 posts, read 989,672 times
I've heard (from a window installer) that the gas that is put between the panes leaks out eventually. Might want to ask about that, and what effect it has on r value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island