Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadolce View Post
We are currently in Japan, have two children - a toddler and an elementary school child, so I am concerned about the schools in the area as well. I might go for my PhD, so I'm happy to hear there are many universities in the area.
I'm not sure but I think the area is zoned for the Uniondale School district which is not highly regarded. Keep this in mind if you plan to live in Garden City East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
As pp stated that area is not GC schools. You should definitely check on it as I believe he is correct, it is Uniondale.

It's a nice little area, right by Nassau COmmunity. I don't think it's going to dangerous at all. You'll be walking distance to the Long Island Children's Museum.

Welcome back!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:57 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
As I wrote in a comment on page 1 of this thread, "Plugging in "223 East Wheeler", "Garden City" and "New York" into the online address search function, confirms that that this address is ... in the Uniondale Union Free School District."

Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
The homes on E Wheeler are actually duplexes. I lived over on E Ellington which were the single family center hall brick colonials for 05's+.

Uniondale schools weren't so swift back when I lived there.. and I'm talking the early 60's. But the school bus stop was right off Wheeler. For the elementary school, combining the military and college officials' children, we didn't even fill one school bus. There were quiet a few kids on base who went to Catholic schools.

I've been back many times since.. it's quiet in the residential zones.

You'll probably have to hound the public works detail for paint and repairs..........we sure did..........and nothing ever changes unfortunately.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Interesting place to live, one of the last remnants of Mitchell Field... which was at one time an enormous military complex. I had a few classes back there during the summer at NCC....always liked the look of those brick buildings. That tiny neighborhood is pretty well insulated from any other residential areas, but like others mentioned - crime isn't a problem in the area anyway.

Uniondale schools ain't great....one of the top 10 or 15 worst districts on LI. Might want to look into private schools, although I think they're OK at the elementary level, so it depends how long you plan on staying I guess.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 35,148 times
does anyone have info on the school district? 2 posters have mentioned that the housing is in a poor district. what is the ethnicity makeup for this area - visually. i've read the stats but just wanted to know from people in the area.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
2 posters have mentioned that the housing is in a poor district. what is the ethnicity makeup for this area - visually. i've read the stats but just wanted to know from people in the area.

If you haven't already done so, you can get a demographic fact sheet for East Garden City by going here American FactFinder and input East Garden City for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You can do the same for Uniondale, as the Uniondale Union Free School District basically encompasses the combination of the Hamlet of East Garden City and the Hamlet of Uniondale.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
does anyone have info on the school district? 2 posters have mentioned that the housing is in a poor district. what is the ethnicity makeup for this area - visually. i've read the stats but just wanted to know from people in the area.
The Uniondale School District is a heavily minority district.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,913 times
Default Moving to Garden City, too

I found your post while doing research for our impending move to Long Island. My husband is a Marine who has orders this summer. Can you tell me about your experience? Where did you end up living? Where did your kids go to school? We have never been to Long Island. We have small children. I appreciate your advice!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli1 View Post
I found your post while doing research for our impending move to Long Island. My husband is a Marine who has orders this summer. Can you tell me about your experience? Where did you end up living? Where did your kids go to school? We have never been to Long Island. We have small children. I appreciate your advice!
The OP hasn't been to the site in years so its unlikely you will hear back from her unfortunately. Everything on the thread already mentioned still stands true today. Area is fine to live (safe etc.) but I recommend avoiding the school district, its one of the lowest ranking on long island. Good Luck with the move and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island