Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM

164 posts, read 458,378 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with Sagamore Hill stables in Brookville? I was highly recommended to them and sounds like one of the better, more professional barns on LI. My kids are in their fourth year of riding. We started off at a private barn in West Hills..they had a wonderful, private trainer and we loved her. We left because they didn’t offer anything to kids, it was your lesson and go home.( unless you owned and boarded there) We looked for a barn that offered school shows and more hands on with horses. Horsemanship is more than riding. It was sad to leave her, but the kids needed more after a few years there.

Anyway, we found another barn in the same area… it was the most unprofessional run barn I have seen. The trainers we basically kids them selves and did not pay attention to what the kids were doing. They were busy on cell phones and talking to other people. After putting my daughter in a dangerous situation , that was the end.. (even though it was coming) let alone how nasty the manager was and how poorly the horses were treated… So now we are starting at Sagamore Hills and we were all so happy to get the professional training we were looking for. Then I made a phone call about a pony for sale and this woman also offers lessons..well, the two great barns I shared with her, she put down and urged me not to go, to come to her instead. I feel if someone has to put down the other barns with great reputations, it must be her, not them. So I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can share some info.

I have every faith my kids will get the best training from SH… But, after someone had something negative to say I wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone can share.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 06:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Well I can tell you where there are some nice trails to ride, Connetquot State Park has one of the best systems of horse trails on LI.
Alot of the time I see more equestrians than hikers there.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:22 PM

164 posts, read 458,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well I can tell you where there are some nice trails to ride, Connetquot State Park has one of the best systems of horse trails on LI.
Alot of the time I see more equestrians than hikers there.
Thank you ! this is a little different as far as "training" goes... they take English riding lessons for show.. it's different than trail riding..but we do enjoy that as well. I will keep Connetquot State Park in mind for sure. We have taken pleasure rides in West Hills Park, also in Montauk a few years back.... it's a relaxing family day out that we do all enjoy. ( you should try it one day )

Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 PM

153 posts, read 606,375 times
My sister in law is a very avid rider in LI. DM me for more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island