U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 PM

2,940 posts, read 6,973,928 times

Advertisements

I've taken trains to and from the Hamptons on the LIRR, and they are indeed full of arrogant, self serving snobs who annoy the heck out of me. Probably why I dont go much out there anymore.
Anyway, it gets worse, believe it or not, Channel 5 did a story on the downright dangerous, unhealthy conditions that exist on one Sunday night train back to the city.
Rowdy Hamptons LIRR Train (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/investigative/090818_Rowdy_Hamptons_LIRR_Train - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,502,917 times
Hamptons is overrated and well...sucks

I went there when I was 18 and I was too old for it then and I am too old for it now.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 AM

874 posts, read 2,416,568 times
I actually went to some bars/clubs in the Hamptons when I was 21 and lived in Queens. I did not want to go since I told my friends that were going that there are more than enough bars and clubs in the five boroughs that are a lot quicker to get to and from. They talked me into it and I went. It was horrible. I do not remember the names of the places we went to but in each one I felt like a sardine crammed into the can. There was a large number of not just drunk, but stupidly beyond drunk idiots there and many of them were definitely under 21 years of age.

I only went there one other time after I bought my house in Yaphank. Again, I did not want to go but my friends talked me into it. It was exactly the same as it was when I was there 5 years earlier and I vowed never to go there again. I have no idea how people can go there more than once or twice in their lifetime, let alone nearly every weekend.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:15 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,113,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I actually went to some bars/clubs in the Hamptons when I was 21 and lived in Queens. I did not want to go since I told my friends that were going that there are more than enough bars and clubs in the five boroughs that are a lot quicker to get to and from. They talked me into it and I went. It was horrible. I do not remember the names of the places we went to but in each one I felt like a sardine crammed into the can. There was a large number of not just drunk, but stupidly beyond drunk idiots there and many of them were definitely under 21 years of age.

I only went there one other time after I bought my house in Yaphank. Again, I did not want to go but my friends talked me into it. It was exactly the same as it was when I was there 5 years earlier and I vowed never to go there again. I have no idea how people can go there more than once or twice in their lifetime, let alone nearly every weekend.

Because nowadays the definition of fun is getting so wasted you can't even walk, talk, and act properly in public. I don't even see what the big deal is about alcohol period muchless why one needs to make an Moderator cut: language of themselves and get Moderator cut: language removed every single weekend night every single weekend of the year. I have some friends that get totally bent out of shape if they miss a single Friday or Saturday night at a bar or club.

Drinking alcohol is fine ... but why the need to abuse it in the manner that so many in my age group do?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-23-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 PM

4,536 posts, read 9,860,859 times
That is the tain from the Boardy Barn. And yes..its full of 18-14 year old drunks! Its better than have then try to drive home.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:54 PM

874 posts, read 2,416,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Because nowadays the definition of fun is getting so wasted you can't even walk, talk, and act properly in public. I don't even see what the big deal is about alcohol period muchless why one needs to make an Moderator cut: language of themselves and get Moderator cut: language removed every single weekend night every single weekend of the year. I have some friends that get totally bent out of shape if they miss a single Friday or Saturday night at a bar or club.

Drinking alcohol is fine ... but why the need to abuse it in the manner that so many in my age group do?
I actually stopped drinking over 10 years ago. I do not so much as drink a beer these days. I decided to stop when my ex was pregnant with my daughter. I would never want any of my children to see me drinking at all.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 AM

316 posts, read 856,621 times
Can't these retards be arrested for public drunkeness? I can't imagine that the LIRR cleaning crew would have to deal with this.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,113,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
Can't these retards be arrested for public drunkeness? I can't imagine that the LIRR cleaning crew would have to deal with this.
I don't think that law is really enforced anymore. The only time I have ever heard it being used in in conjunction with being charged with other crimes, ex. assault or drug possession.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:29 AM

9,901 posts, read 12,970,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't think that law is really enforced anymore. The only time I have ever heard it being used in in conjunction with being charged with other crimes, ex. assault or drug possession.
A few years ago 3 people got arrested for engaging in sexual activity on the drunk train back from Manhattan.

The real issue here is the underage thing mentioned..who's serving them. I would go to a conductor and complain until they call the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or