U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 AM

12 posts, read 26,000 times

Advertisements

Hello, considering a move to Old Brookville...can anyone comment on the North Shore s.d. Friends Academy too $$$. My son is 5 and I believe would matriculate in Glen Head Elementary school. Kindly compare to the Roslyn, Syosset, Manhasset, Jericho and Wheatley school districts. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 01:13 PM

748 posts, read 1,784,168 times
Its a good school district. Rated by SAT scores, the north shore came in at #15 in Long Island. Accurate L.I High School Rankings? You can check out more data about Glen Head elementary at greatschools.net and you can also compare schools.

The other school districts you mentioned are all the best in Long Island, and almost all of them are rated above north shore. Friends Academy is over 25,000$ a year in annual tuition.

Old Brookville is a village and seems like a really nice place to live. Old Brookville, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 PM

7,338 posts, read 7,844,430 times
North Shore is an excellent school district and I've never heard anyone complain about it..at one point half the people I worked with at one company live in that district.

It can have same issues you can get in any district on LI if your kids hang out with the dead-heads. Namely, drugs.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 AM

2,686 posts, read 2,201,165 times
NS is a lovely district. Small classes, no problems with the teachers union, active local sd supporters.

Friends is nice. Some of my friends went there. However, despite the hefty tuition, Friends does not have the scope of extra-curricular activies the NS district has. While not as important in the lower elementary grades, it's vitally important in the upper grades.

I graduated from the NS district. If I were to resume teaching again, this is the district where I'd like to work. A number of my fellow graduates still teach in the district. It's a district you just don't want to leave.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 AM

12 posts, read 26,000 times
Default re: NS sd

How are the 'best' public schools in LI (like Wheatley, Roslyn, Syosset, Jericho) better than the NS sd? Is this just based on how they prepare their students for the SATs? Or are there are major differences in their academic and athletic curricula? Lastly, isn't the NS HS a little run down looking? I was wowed when I saw Port Wash's Schreiber HS and Jericho HS. A little worried...Thanks to all who posted.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 AM

263 posts, read 524,441 times
North Shore is an excellent school district.
First of all, the differences in SAT score averages are not very large at all!
Secondly, I think Glen Head has some more affordable housing than many of the other areas you've mentioned.. while SAT scores and income aren't a perfect corrleation.. (I was from a lower middle class family but got a 1550 SAT score many years ago and my parents are certainly very bright people despite the fact neither rose to the top of the social ladder..), there definitely is evidence that those with higher incomes will have children who will do better on the SAT on average.
Also as a comment, if your son has strong reasoning/test-taking skills, he will do well on the SATs no matter where he goes.
I don't see anyone calling Walt Whitman a fantastic school on this board,

Last edited by CoolaTroopa; 09-08-2009 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island