U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 22,468 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We are an expanding family and looking to relocate in a family friendly neighborhood with good schools. Which of the three would be a good choice?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,676,301 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

sunsetbeach, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns", or in your case, neighborhoods, are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Little Neck is a neighborhood is the New York City Borough of Queens, Great Neck is a self-governing village in the Town of North Hempstead and Oyster Bay is a hamlet, and is governed on an at-large basis by the Town of Oyster Bay.

Both the "Great Neck, NY 11020-11024" and the "Oyster Bay, NY 11774" ZIP Code postal zones are much larger than the communities whose name they share, and most places with a "Great Neck, NY 11020-11024" and "Oyster Bay, NY 11771" mailing address are not in the Village of Great Neck or the Hamlet of Oyster Bay, respectively.

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,375,440 times
Little Neck is Queens. NYC schools, though one of the better districts.

Where are you working? Oyster Bay has a terrible commute to the city.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:11 AM

Thank you, just didn't know where to start and that is great to begin with. Will look into those suggested statistics and try to come to a decision.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Little Neck is Queens. NYC schools, though one of the better districts.

Where are you working? Oyster Bay has a terrible commute to the city.
I'm currently live and work in Manhattan and for family reasons need to find a town friendly for the kids. I work part time, 2 days at home and 1 day travel into the city during NON-peak hours. I think I should be able to handle a tough 1 day commute to the city without to much strain. Is Oyster Bay family friendly?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 6,795 times
Little Neck is in Queens, which is part of New York City (although geographically, it's on Long Island... but politically not considered LI. Political Long Island consists of Nassau and Suffolk Counties.) It has great city schools, you'll pay FAR LESS in property taxes than you would in Great Neck or Oyster Bay, which are in Nassau (Long Island), and your commute into Manhattan is only a half-hour on the Long Island Rail Road from Little Neck. You'll also pay less for your monthly commuter's ticket than if you lived in either Great Neck or Oyster Bay.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,676,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soprano7 View Post
Little Neck is in Queens, which is part of New York City (although geographically, it's on Long Island... but politically not considered LI. Political Long Island consists of Nassau and Suffolk Counties.).
The western part of Long Island, Kings County (70 sq. miles) and Queens County (109 sq. miles) are coterminous with the New York City Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, respectively, and are within the political jurisdiction of New York City, while the eastern part of Long Island is within the political jurisdiction of Nassau County (287 sq. miles) and it's 2 cities, 3 towns and 64 villages and Suffolk County (911 sq. miles) and its 10 towns, 2 Indian reservations and 32 villages.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
grant516

n/a posts
jeez I wish I worked three days a week and could afford a home in any of those places. : P

Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,295,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeach View Post
I'm currently live and work in Manhattan and for family reasons need to find a town friendly for the kids. I work part time, 2 days at home and 1 day travel into the city during NON-peak hours. I think I should be able to handle a tough 1 day commute to the city without to much strain. Is Oyster Bay family friendly?
I would recommend Port Washington. Has a great library, is family friendly, has the Parent Resource Center which offers lots of events for the kids and their parents Classes for parents and children - Parent Resource Center of Port Washington, NY, is a quick commute to Penn Station 36 minutes ( 7:30AM morning peak train) and has lots of transplants from other parts of the country (I know people from Minneapolis, Boulder, CO, Massachusetts, California (I'm orginially from Buffalo). Schools are excellent. Give it a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or