Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 05:24 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
Unless Valley Stream has changed significantly in the past 5 years since I moved from FS, I think it has a diverse population, but still some nice areas. I know a couple of teachers in the VS #24 district who are very happy there (it is the elementary level, may be rougher on the upper levels). VS #13 district which serves part of Malverne and Franklin Sq. also, has a good rep. (VS North HS). When we were looking at houses, the choice area for Malverne was VS 13 SD vs. the Malverne SD. As for Green Acres, it's been crappy for as long as I can remember, but I don't see why you can't live there and avoid that area, I've never been to that place in my life. There are several districts and neighborhoods to choose from (part of VS also goes to Hewlett schools). I think plenty of people are still comfortable there, so if it's got the feel you like, just do hard core research regarding the area, to make sure you like it . Stalk the school buses and streets if you must. We liked the houses in Gibson but ended up feeling we could get more for our $$ in Levittucky.

Honestly, I don't understand how people think it's possible to live in Western Nassau without running across some folks of other ethnic/racial backgrounds, and most manage to get by happily. It's metro NY!!! Not that I think it's a concern for you NDL, but some of the complaining has me confused almost. Like, there were never brown folks on LI before?
Its not the brown that scares me...its the crime.

I wouldnt park my car in Green Acres.

I think the mall off the belt in Brooklyn is safer and cleaner.

Its just not very suburban there any more.
Why pay a premium to live there?

I's rather live in Bayside, Forest Hills or Douglaston anyday over Valley Stream.....and they have brown people too.

C

Old 08-18-2007, 05:39 PM

123 posts, read 647,476 times
Quote:

I's rather live in Bayside, Forest Hills or Douglaston anyday over Valley Stream.....and they have brown people too.
I don't think a lot of Nassau is all that suburban anymore, and people still want it and pay for it. I just think that if a poster is looking for a particular area, they should get a larger picture than just the worst. That place has been awful for at least twenty years, but VS is much more than Green Acres Mall. I would imagine lots of people in surrounding towns don't go there either.

FTR, I'd choose the three areas you mentioned over VS as well, but I know a lot of people who would never go (or go back to Queens).

Old 08-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
I don't think a lot of Nassau is all that suburban anymore, and people still want it and pay for it. I just think that if a poster is looking for a particular area, they should get a larger picture than just the worst. That place has been awful for at least twenty years, but VS is much more than Green Acres Mall. I would imagine lots of people in surrounding towns don't go there either.

FTR, I'd choose the three areas you mentioned over VS as well, but I know a lot of people who would never go (or go back to Queens).
Agreed.

Youre right,

That was a very complete post on VS..I didnt mean to shoot it down.

I just dont see the value in Nassau ...or the difference.

C

Old 08-18-2007, 06:01 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Its not the brown that scares me...its the crime.

I wouldnt park my car in Green Acres.

I think the mall off the belt in Brooklyn is safer and cleaner.

C
C,
There's no way in he** that you're going to afford Bayside, Forest Hills, and Douglaston on a Valley Stream budget.
Valley Stream is what it is, a mixed working to middle class area. Except for Green Acres, the crime rate is pretty low. Eastern part of town is better than the western part by Rosedale. Due to Sunrise Hwy and Merrick Road, it provides criminals from other areas easy entrance to and exit from the area, just like many areas do. I'd imagine there are just as many cars stolen from Roosevelt Field, but they know how to keep it out of the papers.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
C,
There's no way in he** that you're going to afford Bayside, Forest Hills, and Douglaston on a Valley Stream budget.
Valley Stream is what it is, a mixed working to middle class area. Except for Green Acres, the crime rate is pretty low. Eastern part of town is better than the western part by Rosedale. Due to Sunrise Hwy and Merrick Road, it provides criminals from other areas easy entrance to and exit from the area, just like many areas do. I'd imagine there are just as many cars stolen from Roosevelt Field, but they know how to keep it out of the papers.
I would imagine the Nassau Taxes would make the Mortgage pmt about the same....probably cheaper.
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Not so sure about the RF comparison....but whatever, Nassau is so done.

C

Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
I would imagine the Nassau Taxes would make the Mortgage pmt about the same....probably cheaper.
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Not so sure about the RF comparison....but whatever, Nassau is so done.

C
Not when you add the NYC income tax.
599K in bayside is for a piece of crap, attatched house. Free standing homes in the 700's and 800's if not more. that VS house will sell for 439K by the time its done.

People from Queens are looking in my area because even with the taxes, it is cheaper to move to Nassau than to stay in Queens for an average cape or colonial home.

Last edited by NSHL10; 08-18-2007 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-18-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Not when you add the NYC income tax.
599K in bayside is for a piece of crap, attatched house. Free standing homes in the 700's and 800's if not more. that VS house will sell for 439K by the tim e ts done.
Hmmmmm

Not sure.

If VS is dropping so is Bayside.

9000 a year is tough..plus if they worked in NYC wouldnt they get banged for City tax too

C

Old 08-18-2007, 06:51 PM

I don't know. My house a small cape cod goes for up to mid 400's in Franklin Square. Same house on my friend's block in Fresh Meadows, Queens sold for mid 600's. Many capes in Bellerose , Queens are also selling mid 500's to 600K.
Maybe people are just looking at the dollar amount of the houses and freaking, but most of the people at open houses in my area are from Queens. It's been like this for the past 30 years. Most of Ozone park and Queens Village has relocated to this area since the 80's.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:53 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,012 times
I live in Valley Stream now. The people who said they wouldnt feel safe parking there care in Green Acres? WTF. I go to Green Acres a lot to eat and nothing has ever happened to the car. The crime in Valley Stream is usually petty crime, Teenagers stealing form Teenagers. I go to Central High school, nothing is bad. Just in the middle school theres alot of Queens implants who swear they are ghetto. But they realize that there not and end up calming down. My parents have decided that they want to move to PA though, so were leaving. But Valley Stream is excellent. So many places to hang and eat with friends. Proximity to Queens Public Transport. Lots of pros.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:56 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,012 times
Theres also a big park called Hendrickson Park and another one called Valley Stream state park. Theres community pool. Theres a big lake in the middle so theres often tons of joggers in that park through out the day, and guess what? There white so they must not feel threatened. Law enforcement is pretty good in valley stream, about controlling large groups of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island