Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:04 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
I live in Valley Stream now. The people who said they wouldnt feel safe parking there care in Green Acres? WTF. I go to Green Acres a lot to eat and nothing has ever happened to the car. The crime in Valley Stream is usually petty crime, Teenagers stealing form Teenagers. I go to Central High school, nothing is bad. Just in the middle school theres alot of Queens implants who swear they are ghetto. But they realize that there not and end up calming down. My parents have decided that they want to move to PA though, so were leaving. But Valley Stream is excellent. So many places to hang and eat with friends. Proximity to Queens Public Transport. Lots of pros.
Tymel,
What part of PA are you moving to?

Old 08-18-2007, 07:38 PM

222 posts, read 892,844 times
The issue is that historically people of color were unable to purchase homes in many suburban areas because both economic challenges/inequalities, as well as "defacto" segregation. As this has significantly changed over the last thirty to forty years, more brown folks have the means to purchase a home in traditionally white areas. Ultimately whites, who are unaccustomed to diversity in there community see the influx as losing what they once knew...

Bottom line. The world is changing...not V/S alone. Truthfully, I have more respect fror someone who can afford to buy a $500K in this market because at least that means they didn't just inherit the "wealth", which in my mind, increases the socioeconomic baseline for the area...

Old 08-18-2007, 09:10 PM

123 posts, read 647,421 times
Is Roosevelt Field considered crime free? Didn't used to. I rarely go there b/c as a double stroller jockey on a budget, I find it insanely annoying. Too many people, too many pricey stores, and two active toddlers. I'll stick with Broadway Mall, it gets the job done, and I can hit Target there as well now. Malls (and their parking lots) seem like they would be more prone to crime no matter where they are. All those people wandering around with money.

There's lots of complaining about diversity on these boards, and to me it's veiled racism. I just find it interesting because there are a number of historically AA (middle-class) communities in Nassau, which co-existed with white communities, without destroying them. Look at Lakeview and Malverne. They've always had the same make-up and the same school district lines, yet Malverne has remained an attractive community for many. It doesn't seem like a giant issue (but I could be wrong). People stay there and their children return there. There were integrated towns as well. If anything, I think it's the middle-class, working minority folks who get the worst of it when these criminal and gang elements come in from the city. The de facto segregation practices being so firmly entrenched, their towns got destroyed. As I said somewhere else, pre-70s, Hempstead was a thriving town. The whites took off, but they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't. As for the recent immigrating groups, their very different cultures are definitely having an effect on everyone, I think. I can understand the reasons for the anger shown by many, though I don't always agree.

Anyway I'm totally babbling, but what I wanted to express in my original post, is that VS is a large, and diverse area. And I mean in types of neighborhoods, houses etc., not race. Also served by a number of districts. So if someone likes it, they've got a number of options. The areas that I was more familiar with and looked at didn't seem all that different from FS or Lynbrook to me.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:23 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Tymel,
What part of PA are you moving to?
Carbon County. Ill be going to Jim Thorpe schools. Its like the country out there compared to here. I wonder how i will fare.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
Carbon County. Ill be going to Jim Thorpe schools. Its like the country out there compared to here. I wonder how i will fare.
It will be an adjustment going to a rural area, but the Poconos area is building up quite a bit. Plenty of ex NYers there for company. Be careful with the driving, especially the deer!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:02 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,788 times
Haha, yeah I know. I saw deers in our future neighbors backyard and even saw one dead on the side of the road.

I really hope, I dont hit one while driving. How do people drive over there, when theres no street lights?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 PM

You'll get used to it. Use your high beams when able, and just be prepared. Ceratin times of the year the deer are more active and will cross the roads more. When you get up there, talk to some of the locals for tips on areas to avoid and shortcuts that the visitors don't know about.
A good forum (in addition to the PA forum here) is poconocommuter(dot)com. It is full of people who live in PA, many of whom are from NYC/LI. I visit the area frequently and like to check out the site to see what is going on in the area. The people on the site on friendly and have lots of "inside" info on the area.
Best of Luck on your move.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:59 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Valley Stream is Queens now.

Just go to the mall for 5 minutes and ask yourself if youd be comfortable there.

C
Clamboy,
Do you mean the Green Acres Mall? I remember when that mall was outdoors and was frequented by people from the 5 towns. Now, they go elsewhere.
I was there about 2 years ago, got out of there fast!

Diane G

Old 08-23-2007, 09:24 AM

54 posts, read 225,181 times
Valley Stream is NOT Queens, however, it has a lot of the wonderful traits that you would find in Queens like great transportation, great people and great shopping. Greens Acres has the best shops and now with Walmart and BJ's yu can't find better prices if you have a family to raise. The churches are wonderful and the pools and parks awesome! Lots of diversity keeps the teachers on their feet and actually raises the standards of education. Valley Stream has beautiful older homes and the people are very friendly-no matter how you look-people are respectful and kind. I used to live in Valley Stream and moved. It was a MISTAKE! I will most likely move back- check out Mill Brook-its quiet, pretty and in five minutes or less you can walk to the mall, a great park and nice little elementary school.
My husband is a real estate investor so we have moved all over LI. Don't believe the lies. There really aren't many "bad" places on LI. You have small pockets of problem area to avoid but truthfully none are in VS. Of all the places I lived on both North Shore and South Shore, VS is my peronal favorite.
Oh and by the way, I lived in North Queens-if you join a pool its about $1200 for a family for the summer. Compare that to $150 for a pool pass in the town of hempstead or $350 for incorporated village! VS is a great place to live! Crime is everywhere but it is not disproportionate because VS is closer to Queens. Also Check out US News and World report LI Best Schools. Valley Stream South HS is high on the list and that school if full of "brown" and "olive". Its the diversity that keeps it competative.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
When I was a kid in Oceanside, I'd ride my bike to Green Acres to shop. It was just over the city line and NYC folks came there because Nassau then (believe it or not) had no sales tax. It was an outdoor strip mall with a few dept store anchors back then.

My then girlfriend (now wife of 37 years) and I learned a lot about love at the Sunrise Drive in Theater. It was neat seeing the LIRR trains come by while watching the movies.

Valley Stream was always a bit lower level than say Lynbrook or RVC but wasn't a bad place in any way.

Now live in Raleigh, NC and heard things like gang activity and shootings at the theater which replaced the drive-in.

Would love to see my home area again. Perhaps we can get back on vacation. Still have relatives in Hempstead and Suffolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island