U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2009, 02:03 PM

9 posts, read 22,501 times

Advertisements

Does anyone in Suffolk County (Babylon, Deer Park, Lindenhurst areas) take the bus to the LIRR? Is it reliable?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 PM

229 posts, read 434,388 times
When I went to Stony Brook we would sometime take Suffolk buses to Smithhaven Mall. They are by far the worst public buses I have ever been on.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,422,222 times
Well I've been on Suffolk Transit. The buses don't run that often, most are usually hourly, so make sure you have a schedule. Also most stop running after 6-7pm. No service on Sundays.
For the most part they are reliable and usually ontime, though the summer traffic does wreak havoc on the buses around Riverhead and beyond.
The worst bus route is the S92, which travels between Orient Point and East Hampton. It's a very long route, and it's not unusual for this bus to be an hour or more late. I remember a couple of summers ago waiting for this bus in Hampton bays going to Riverhead, I waited 3 hours!
It's also very overcrowded, this route connects Riverhead Barrio to Enabler Employment in the Hamptons.
The good news is in the area you're talking about the ST buses are pretty good. Deer Park is served by the S27 bus, Babylon has much better service with a whole load of routes stopping there, S40,S42,S20,S29, S23 and S27. You also have the MTA N19 and N72 routes stopping there as well.
So if you plan on using Suffolk Transit service to Babylon is probably some of the best in the county.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 PM

7,826 posts, read 9,536,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
When I went to Stony Brook we would sometime take Suffolk buses to Smithhaven Mall. They are by far the worst public buses I have ever been on.
Its rumored to be taken over by the MTA so service may improve, I don't know how true the rumor is though.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:41 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,422,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
Alot depends on the company. CBS Lines which operates the S60 in Stony Brook(as well as the S62,S56,S58,S71,S76,5A) does a pretty good job.
Suffolk Bus Corp which runs the 3D is pretty bad. Their buses often dont have a/c and always very late. The 3D comes from Brentwood and CI though, which probably messes things up. Worst buses in Suffolk though as I said before are out east. The S92 is pathetic, the schedule is merely a suggestion as buses are usually always late by 20 minutes or more.
HJ/Sunrise Coach operates those routes.
Intercounty has a lot of good routes. The main prob with Suffolk Transit overall is the limited service hours. Suffolk is the only county downstate to have no bus service at all on Sundays. Even Rockland county has sunday service! The buses stop running way too early at night, like 6-7pm.
There are some folks calling for MTA to take over Suffolk Transit, which may help. Generally compared to Suffolk, the MTA operates better service here in Nassau. And with MTA now managing things (LI Bus is merged into MTA Bus) service here has improved quite a bit in just the past year, although there's still inadequate service on certain routes which means they are very crowded.
Also I think SUNY now provides a bus to Smith Haven Mall.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 PM

9 posts, read 22,501 times
Thank you! I was considering my options on getting to the railroad before/after work when I move out to LI.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 PM

229 posts, read 434,388 times
I graduated 2 years ago from SB. At that time they onlly provided bus service to the mall on Saturdays and than to Stop n Shop/Target on Sundays I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island