Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,974,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Not gonna happen on Long Island....only way you can find something most people would consider a "decent" house for under $200k is moving outside of the NY Metro area. I don't even see many condos listed in that price range.

If you are dead set on home ownership and don't mind being a little cramped, you can sometimes find a crazy small bungalow or converted fishing shack in some areas (Rocky Point is one of them) under $200, but they don't come up all that often. Most people scoff as stuff like that, but considering how crappy most apartments on LI seem, it might be an upgrade (plus you actually own it and can expand if you need more space)....but we're talking like one story, three or four room homes here. That's the only way to make it happen.
What's kind of sad is that there should be actual housing stock in that price range - look at what builders did to a town like Mastic/Shirley. There's random houses where you'd never think to build one - lights from the 7-11 shining into your backyard... like seriously? Drive down the Floyd and see what's just North of Sunrise. Take a ride down Portion Rd... BTW these are personal anecdotes having lived in Farmingville and East Moriches.

I get that at a certain price it becomes a knockdown/land value/zone it professional/etc... But I would have a hard being convinced there's nothing that should be valued at 200kish right about now. Nassau - yes... Suffolk - no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,476,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
What's kind of sad is that there should be actual housing stock in that price range - look at what builders did to a town like Mastic/Shirley. There's random houses where you'd never think to build one - lights from the 7-11 shining into your backyard... like seriously? Drive down the Floyd and see what's just North of Sunrise. Take a ride down Portion Rd... BTW these are personal anecdotes having lived in Farmingville and East Moriches.

I get that at a certain price it becomes a knockdown/land value/zone it professional/etc... But I would have a hard being convinced there's nothing that should be valued at 200kish right about now. Nassau - yes... Suffolk - no.
You know what? I might be wrong....that area you mention (SE Brookhaven) may have an OK selection at or under $200k. The Moriches have always been pretty affordable and there are some parts of Shirley that seem OK. I don't really know....but then again, like you mention - so much of it is flat out ugly or just makes you scratch your head.

Seems like prices are still going down, so maybe low 200s will be a reality for more of the island soon. Tough to tell with so much expert BS out there.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,298 times
Default thanks

Thanks. i thought seeing the houses for $200,000 and less on sites for Sound Beach and Rocky Point was too good to be true. I own in Park Slope Brooklyn, but rent in massapequa park and was really hoping to find a nice weekend house for cheap, but really not looking to buy a fishing place as pointed out.
So really, when i google homes on Sound Beach, there are really nice looking ones, 4 br, 2 baths , they are just not what it seems? bad areas?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,298 times
also, i heard to stay away from mastic and shirley unless i want to get mugged. is that true?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,109,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmyjunk View Post
Thanks. i thought seeing the houses for $200,000 and less on sites for Sound Beach and Rocky Point was too good to be true. I own in Park Slope Brooklyn, but rent in massapequa park and was really hoping to find a nice weekend house for cheap, but really not looking to buy a fishing place as pointed out.
So really, when i google homes on Sound Beach, there are really nice looking ones, 4 br, 2 baths , they are just not what it seems? bad areas?
Not at all. Sound Beach is fine.

My guess, short sales on main roads/near powerlines in need of major work.

Crooks

Old 06-03-2010, 06:56 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,109,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmyjunk View Post
also, i heard to stay away from mastic and shirley unless i want to get mugged. is that true?

Coming form Brooklyn its ok.

Coming from Garden City its Compton.

Id avoid Mastic Beach near Neighborhood rd. or anything by the Reservation. The Shirley side by the waters not too bad.

Might be a good option if you dont care about the schools.

Crooks

Old 09-23-2010, 12:29 PM

15 posts, read 56,118 times
Aren't the Pagans Motorcycle Club based in Rocky Point?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,578,309 times
Not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island