U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 PM

10 posts, read 34,786 times

Advertisements

OK... thanks for the history. I know our house on Weeks/Rhoda was built in 1950. If you go to HistoricAerials.com you can see an aerial photo of the neighborhood from 1953 (see below) showing all of the houses were built by then (except for Pathmark and Parliament Place School which didn't come around til the 60's). But these days, there's no longer a Greenwood Civic Assn., Parkdale covers the entire subdivision now.

I wonder why the recreation on Deer Lake was shut down? Pollution from the industries downstream in Deer Park? Liability concerns? It's too bad... it's one less thing for people living there to enjoy. It was definitely a part of growing up there until they sold it all off to home builders in the 90's.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 06:51 PM

16,965 posts, read 7,890,790 times
I moved to N. Babylon from Hempstead (where I was born) in 1960.

I remember Parliament Place Elementary not being there, then being built, and I was among those attending it the first year when I was in First Grade.
I had attended Phelps Lane for Kindergarten.

Pathmark came later and I recall one older women who had a house on Weeks Road that was a hold out not selling out to Pathmark and they built around her, the house being on the outskirts of the property.
Years later her family sold it.

I see my house in the above photo, 5th house south of Gracie Dr. at 72 Deer Lake Dr. on the west side.
IIRC our house was built in '52 and we paid 14,000 for it.

Did a lot of work to it over the years until it was an 8 bedroom.

There was a fire in the kitchen in the early 2000's.

The Civic Association lost support over the years and my Dad had to pay some money along with two others s cosigners on the property which then went to the town I believe before being sold to builders.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 11,522 times
Default Parliament Place Elementary School

Hello Bluesjuke,

I stumbled on thsi thread about Guggenheim Lakes, which I also knew as Dear Lake. I also attended Parliment Place Elementary School in the first grade and part of the second grade when it first opened in 1962-63. I do not know if you remember that the bathroom doors in the classrooms were heavy and originally had a self closing hinges that shut the doors. The self closing hinges were removed after I lost a portion of my right index finger when the door closed as I was leaving the bathroom during the first grade. The teacher made red and green signs on the bathroom door to indicate when someone was in the bathroom.

I used to live with foster parents in the house on the corner of Gracie Drive and Deer Lake Drive. They were a German-American family named "Bouck". The house was orginally a ranch house. Our foster parents wanted to adopt us so they added a second floor with two bedrooms and an additional bathroom in 1963. I remember being in the living room when John Kennedy was shot. I see from the latest phtos that there is a swimming pool in the yard where I remember apple trees grew along with a white fence.

I remember going to my friend's house who lived on Dear Lake Drive where they had a concrete dock onto the lake. We used to swim off the dock and ice skate in the winter. The southern part of the lake had a small beach area for swimming.

Thanks for the information and memories of a portion of my childhood growing up in Long Island.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:28 PM

rogershw,

I'm trying to figure which house that was as I know the Mantels lived on one corner and the Ennis's on the other.
I do recall the Bouck name though.
Is it across the street from the lake and maybe the second house from the corner.

I recall the McGraths having a concrete dock.
The lake sure was fun and the "beach" sure was crowded in the summer.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
rogershw,

I'm trying to figure which house that was as I know the Mantels lived on one corner and the Ennis's on the other.
I do recall the Bouck name though.
Is it across the street from the lake or maybe the second house from the corner.

I recall the McGraths having a concrete dock.
The lake sure was fun and the "beach" sure was crowded in the summer.

Meant to say OR the second house fromt eh corner.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:18 AM

3 posts, read 12,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I grew up right across the street from there.
Never a problem as said and while I lived there the lake would dry up about every 7 years almost like clockwork.

We would hunt in the mud for Snapping Turtles then and got some mighty big ones.
Fishing, swimming, boating, skating, and Hockey were all had there.
Greenwood Lake Civic Association ran the Swimming area at the south end and my father was lifeguard many a year there.
by any chance is your name Miller? i grew up on Greenwood drive

Old 10-22-2010, 04:26 AM

3 posts, read 12,309 times
Hello there is no more swimming on greenwood lake, you can not even get in there as in the 90s or 2000 they built houses all around the lake, it's all private now, sadly a part of our growing up was taking away, i tell my kids all the time how we used you fish and have friday night GO-GO dances and WED NIGHT MOVIES, great times they were

Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt421 View Post
by any chance is your name Miller? i grew up on Greenwood drive
Very close, Muller!
My Dad who was Life Guard there for years passed away in July of 2007.
I likely know you then.
I'll send you a message.
In fact I likely know most of you that lived in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt421 View Post
Hello there is no more swimming on greenwood lake, you can not even get in there as in the 90s or 2000 they built houses all around the lake, it's all private now, sadly a part of our growing up was taking away, i tell my kids all the time how we used you fish and have friday night GO-GO dances and WED NIGHT MOVIES, great times they were
I have googled the satellite photos several time and see the "progress" made there.
On Deer Lake the last house before the "Lake"/ "Beach" was Mrs. Brown.

I miss those times so terribly.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 16,039 times
Ok..I need a little clarity and I may be able to Offer a lot more information. Are ANY of you speaking about the two lakes in west islip (natural springs BTW) that were damned. The main civic association was on the corner of KIMES ave and ran along the Southern State EXP? If this IS the two bodies of water you are talking about the I DO have some interesting and volital information. My family was one of the founding 4 members of the Deerlake civic association and ran that building on the property from 1951-1980. I have ALL of the meeting notes and deed copies that allowed everyone - even people that lived on brookdale ave access to both those lakes...The town took it over but illigally closed the lakes and prevented access to the public.. If any of this interests anyone I am very happy to share....

Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 16,039 times
nessman,

I have EVERY meeting note and paper and map from the civic association on that lake. even some of the contents from the time capsule that was part of the original building before the fire... Starting in 1951/2. My grandfather was Frank Savoy..one of the founders and my aunt was Elsie Losaige (activist). Most of my family was badge 2,3,4 and helped start the West Islip firedepartment (if it's still there) on the corner by Udall rd..

Drop me a line if you would like any historical information....

S Whitehurst..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island