U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 AM

752 posts, read 747,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
didnt hitler do something like that?
You may notice a stark difference between gathering a few illegal aliens and giving them a ride home or a social security number so they can work legally, and gathering a few million LEGAL citizens and shoving them in gas chambers based on their ethnic or religious backrounds.
perhaps you werent thinking strait

Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 AM

7,224 posts, read 7,107,711 times
The Southern Poverty Law Center came out with a report saying that Latino's on LI "Live in Fear"

Now every news station, newspaper, etc, is running a story about this report, which from what I can see gets its evidence from interviewing a few dozen Hispanics and asking them if they've ever felt threatened here, and to a few news reports with comments attributed to a couple of local politicians who basically made off the cuff remarks about violence against illegal immigrants.

However, the attacks on Levy, who simply wants to curb illegal immigration, are given no evidence, yet he gets slandered regularly by the Hispanic lobby as a racist. There is a lot of emotion in this issue, and not much truth coming from either side.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/ny...uffolk.html?em

Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM

875 posts, read 1,408,254 times
If these people were truly "living in fear" they would not be standing on the side of the roads waiting for someone to pick them up to give them odd jobs and pay them tax free money. This is all a ploy designed by the left wing media to try and sway people that are indifferent to illegal immigrants to suddenly feel sorry for them and support them.

I personally believe that any illegal immigrant that is caught in this country should be deported back to where they came from regardless of race, religion or country of origin. With that being said, I also would not take any violent action against any person found to be an illegal immigrant either. I do believe that there are some illegal immigrants who are actually good people trying for a better life and would jump at the chance to become a legal citizen. At the same time there are others who are criminals and given the chance to be a citizen or an illegal would prefer to be here illegally and continue to pay no taxes and continue whatever illegal endeavors they are taking part in.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 AM

316 posts, read 526,274 times
Those who hire illegals should be prosecuted, they caused this problem.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 AM

1,056 posts, read 506,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
You may notice a stark difference between gathering a few illegal aliens and giving them a ride home or a social security number so they can work legally, and gathering a few million LEGAL citizens and shoving them in gas chambers based on their ethnic or religious backrounds.
perhaps you werent thinking strait
it all starts somewhere!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
Those who hire illegals should be prosecuted, they caused this problem.
actually, those who hire illegals arent the problem. it goes alot furthur than that.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
If these people were truly "living in fear" they would not be standing on the side of the roads waiting for someone to pick them up to give them odd jobs and pay them tax free money. This is all a ploy designed by the left wing media to try and sway people that are indifferent to illegal immigrants to suddenly feel sorry for them and support them.

I personally believe that any illegal immigrant that is caught in this country should be deported back to where they came from regardless of race, religion or country of origin. With that being said, I also would not take any violent action against any person found to be an illegal immigrant either. I do believe that there are some illegal immigrants who are actually good people trying for a better life and would jump at the chance to become a legal citizen. At the same time there are others who are criminals and given the chance to be a citizen or an illegal would prefer to be here illegally and continue to pay no taxes and continue whatever illegal endeavors they are taking part in.

ok, listen to what youre saying. you want everyone back, no matter what? what if you were on vacation in canada or mexico? what if they had the same attitude as you? would you feel it right that they sent you back? you say "NO! IM ON VACATION!" well, to my understanding, it wouldnt matter, you'd be sent back no matter what. to them, your an illegal immagrant that is caught in thier country.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
ok, listen to what youre saying. you want everyone back, no matter what? what if you were on vacation in canada or mexico? what if they had the same attitude as you? would you feel it right that they sent you back? you say "NO! IM ON VACATION!" well, to my understanding, it wouldnt matter, you'd be sent back no matter what. to them, your an illegal immagrant that is caught in thier country.

Put the budweiser down, it's too early to be this dopey.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:38 AM

2,336 posts, read 3,320,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Put the budweiser down, it's too early to be this dopey.
dman... Kenny did dramatize this, but he was making a point and that is true. After 911, I used to get the "looks" from fellow passengers while taking the plane.... now in your world if you do not consider that to be "profiling" then its good to know. I am not here to ask why do people do that, but I'm just trying to let people know who are in denial that it does happen.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
dman... Kenny did dramatize this, but he was making a point and that is true. After 911, I used to get the "looks" from fellow passengers while taking the plane.... now in your world if you do not consider that to be "profiling" then its good to know. I am not here to ask why do people do that, but I'm just trying to let people know who are in denial that it does happen.

The problem is that all these terms get mucked up in the emotion of the subject.

Someone looking at you funny on a plane because you look middle eastern is not "profiling". Profiling has to do with the authorities pulling you out of line and searching you based only on the fact that you look middle eastern.

Similarly with the word "racism" where it often replaces the word "prejudice" or "ethnocentrism" in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island