Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 88,708 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Long Island from the city with my wife and son. My income is very high so I can afford a nice area I've looked at the areas I would like the best and drawn it down to Merrick or Jericho. What I'm wondering is , what are the differences between the two places in general? The schools, the community, the people, etc. A friend of mine seemed to think both places are fairly similar in terms of these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 02:57 PM

106 posts, read 576,593 times
Definitely Jericho....I am born and raised on the South Shore of Long Island (Hewlett for 43 years) I currently have my house on the market and plan on moving to the North Shore...it is so much more beautiful there....you get more property with less property tax...the Jericho schools are rated one of the best if not the best on Long Island...There is no question in my mind that jericho is a better move...sorry to all you Merrick people that read this, but I frequent Merrick for restaurants and shopping, however, i have no desire to live there...just my opinion...it is busy and congested and just not as beautiful as the North Shore towns....better get yourself a Mercedes or a Range Rover tho...good luck

Old 06-29-2007, 04:35 PM

137 posts, read 741,009 times
Jericho...If you can afford it...I would deffinatly recommend Jericho. Merrick is also VERY nice. Good schools. Has everything you need there too.
Im a south shore girl for some 40+ years, so I appreciate the people on the south shore more. I find them less upity. (Is that a word? lol)
Anyway....I would agree with the "trader" above me....lol......the north shore is more beautiful, however the south shore has nicer beaches.
Lots of luck.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:09 PM

106 posts, read 576,593 times
Peterh5 - move to Hewlett we have great schools and I have a great house for you!!!!! deevee, yes, the beaches are nice I am 10 minutes away from Atlantic beach and I wish i were a "trader", but I can't sell my house so until then i am a "trader" in spirit...but Peterh5 if you don't want my house then no choice here....MOVE TO JERICHO!!!!!! the truth is, I can't even compare the 2towns and you should not either...if not Hewlett then Jericho!!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 07:25 AM

137 posts, read 741,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlwag View Post
Peterh5 - move to Hewlett we have great schools and I have a great house for you!!!!! deevee, yes, the beaches are nice I am 10 minutes away from Atlantic beach and I wish i were a "trader", but I can't sell my house so until then i am a "trader" in spirit...but Peterh5 if you don't want my house then no choice here....MOVE TO JERICHO!!!!!! the truth is, I can't even compare the 2towns and you should not either...if not Hewlett then Jericho!!!!
How long has your house been on the market? I know the market is awful at the moment.We too are planning to leave LI like many others. My husband retires in Jan 08 and we plan to move south. Unfortunatly, we just cannot afford this $8000/yr tax we have on our 50 x 100 plot in Oceanside.
Should we put our house on the market now????

Old 06-30-2007, 07:47 PM

549 posts, read 2,187,807 times
Both are nice, you really need to visit them and see for yourself.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 17,610 times
If you can afford a house on the water in Merrick, I highly recommend that. My parents have lived there for many years and it's incredible. Land is always nice, but a little land and a lot of water is even better--in my opinion.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:13 PM

62 posts, read 313,629 times
Default Merrick

I vote for Merrick. I grew up there and go back often. Nice people, good restaurants in the area, near the beach, good schools. l have friends that live in Jericho and have been tolds snobby, too competitive (materialistic), too much Homework in Kindergarten and people are already sening their kids to tutors so that they are #1 in the class in 1st grade.....just one person's opinion...I think you should stay in each area for a week and check it out...

Old 09-09-2009, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 12,858 times
Default Merrick or Jericho

My wife grew up in Merrick and her father currently resides there. While it is a nice town with great schools the problem is that the houses and basements tend to flood due to being built on marsh land. The North Shore (great neck, manhasset, kings point etc...) have a much better rentention in house/land value as well as some of the best schools on long island. I would recoomend those places over Jericho or Merrick. Additionally Great neck is excellent due to the promixity to NYC (20 mins on LIRR) and has a walkable downtown.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:55 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat View Post
If you can afford a house on the water in Merrick, I highly recommend that. My parents have lived there for many years and it's incredible. Land is always nice, but a little land and a lot of water is even better--in my opinion.
Hewlett ave down on the water...holy schnikes big homes batman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island