U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:02 PM

262 posts, read 510,377 times
Default Which Would You Pick And Why?

So we've been looking at a lot of houses and are down to seven houses in seven different areas.
We don't plan to move till the summer.
We found houses ranging from $400K to $500 K.
I convinced my fiance to be open to the South Shore and we found two good affordable houses there.
Levittown also seemed nice but we decided that we would need a basement.
We both work in the city.

What would you pick and why?

Syosset, Greenlawn, Oceanside, Wantagh, Hicksville, Huntington, or Carle Place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:09 PM

15,759 posts, read 16,351,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
So we've been looking at a lot of houses and are down to seven houses in seven different areas.
I convinced my fiance to be open to the South Shore and we found two good affordable houses there.

I don't get it. The summer is almost over. Do you mean the summer of 2010?

If so, I doubt any seller who has their house up for sale NOW would wait until next summer to close, so why are you choosing specific homes at this point? If you really can't close until next summer, you are only setting yourself up for disappointment if you want a certain home that is for sale now.

As for the places you mentioned, all of them are okay. Perhaps you should check out the school districts and see which rank the best of the bunch.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 PM

That's why I'm focusing more on areas than houses right now.
My fiance and I are currently living with my parents in Huntington.
We have to save up some money before buying a house above $400K though..
In terms of the houses themselves, it would be a no-brainer, the one on Greenlawn- but it's likely to sell out by next summer.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 PM

15,759 posts, read 16,351,852 times
Quote:
That's why I'm focusing more on areas than houses right now.
My fiance and I are currently living with my parents in Huntington.
We have to save up some money before buying a house above $400K though..
In terms of the houses themselves, it would be a no-brainer, the one on Greenlawn- but it's likely to sell out by next summer.
Okay then. Just don't fall in love with a house too soon while you are out there looking!

Old 09-03-2009, 01:51 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,924,304 times
Syosset.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:06 PM

843 posts, read 1,151,420 times
Default My choice

Quote:

1) Huntington
2) Greenlawn

Your information is limited. If you have kids or plan to have them, I would carefully look at the school district - not the town.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:12 PM

229 posts, read 426,795 times
Syosset or Hicksville. Their are nicer places on the South Shore. In my opinion, Oceanside and Wantagh are not exactly the cream of the crop. Carle Place has no real sense of place. Although, Hicksville doesnt really either the LIRR situation is better. Huntington and Greenlawn are decent but for my taste the LIRR commute is to long.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:23 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,634,733 times
Quote:
that's kind of an odd mix. You may want to do more looking around, especially on the south shore, and consider places like Lynbrook, Merrick, East Meadow, Bellmore, etc. You may even be able to swing something in RVC in a year's time.

Also, it's often helpful to look at the LIRR schedule to get a feel for your potential commute.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Yes, we are planning to raise a family- so school district should be something of importance..

I've heard from my mom that Oceanside has the best schools on the South Shore- but a lot of evidence seems to be implying that Bellmore, Merrick, and RVC all have better schools.
Lynbrook and East Meadow are also often ranked higher than Oceanside. I'll have to do more research on the South Shore- since my knowledge either seems to be outdated or misinformed.

In terms of school districts, it seems like Syosset has the best school district of all the places we can afford.
Great Neck, Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, and East Williston districts all are unaffordable..unless we want to live in a condo in Great Neck.

Port Washington has given some surprisingly good results though and it's a close commute to the city.
If we can find a house to our liking in the area, Port Washington would be a very logical choice.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:45 PM

6,046 posts, read 7,119,839 times
Quote:
Yes, we are planning to raise a family- so school district should be something of importance..

I've heard from my mom that Oceanside has the best schools on the South Shore- but a lot of evidence seems to be implying that Bellmore, Merrick, and RVC all have better schools.
Lynbrook and East Meadow are also often ranked higher than Oceanside. I'll have to do more research on the South Shore- since my knowledge either seems to be outdated or misinformed.

In terms of school districts, it seems like Syosset has the best school district of all the places we can afford.
Great Neck, Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, and East Williston districts all are unaffordable..unless we want to live in a condo in Great Neck.

Port Washington has given some surprisingly good results though and it's a close commute to the city.
If we can find a house to our liking in the area, Port Washington would be a very logical choice.
Bellmore & Merrick on the junior high and high school level is the same district.

Honestly, my feel is, go for the neighbourhood you like the best. If you instill the importance of education in your children and tell them how important it is to take it seriously...most likely they will learn and succeed. It doesn't depend on the school...it depends on the values the parents teach the children and the children themselves. Good schools can have lousy teachers and bad schools can have great teachers. I never understood why there is so much importance on stupid testing scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island