U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 AM

23,039 posts, read 18,007,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
I dont understand why people think its so nice here.Maybe out east...but thats it.Im not trying to start an arguement im just expressing my opinion.Theres WAY too many strip malls(which look like cr*p) buildings falling apart wayy too much traffic.In my opinion the people here arent that friendly.Ive traveled to a few states and i am appalled when i come back.Trash covering the roadways,overgrown weeds and grass everywhere.We pay SO much money to live here it shouldnt look like it does.Im also not a city person so of course this isnt a place for me.I want to see mountains and open space.Maybe some wildlife that isnt being destroyed because we have to build on every piece of grass.Plus its just NOT affordable.Cant save cant get ahead.I mean what do we pay,THREEx the national average for EVERYTHING.Come on now.Yeah we have beaches big deal.Gotta' pay to use them too.I dont even go to the beach.
It could be that because of the cost to live there people don't have a lot of extra money for exterior home maintenance like lawn service and house painting, for example. They could have nice homes but not much left over after paying for the basics.

Have you ever done a City Compare to compare the cost of living in your town versus some other place on things like groceries and utility bills? I'm retired and have a pension. I live in a no income tax state but other than that my net income would stay the same no matter where I lived. Here is the cost of living in the three most recent places I have lived - all 3 are suburban. A score of 100 indicates the national average so you look at the scores to see how much above or below 100 your town falls and of course, to compare towns to each other.

With a national average score of 100, the Cost of Living scores:

Town where I live in now in Tennessee (population 27,514) :

Utilities: 93
Groceries: 94.8
Housing: 45
Healthcare: 91

Town where I lived in Maryland (population 21,952):

Utilities: 105
Groceries: 104.6
Housing: 173
Healthcare: 109

Town where I lived on Long Island (Manorville - it's in Brookhaven Township) (population 14,184):

Utilities: 143
Groceries: 127.1
Housing: 181
Healthcare: 148

I rent and did in all 3 places but could you see how a retired homeowner might have more to spend on house beautification where I live now compared to where I lived on Long Island.

You can do your own City Compare. Just put "City Compare" in Google and it's the first site that comes up. Plug in the two towns you want to compare like this:

Example: Manorville,NY (box one) Vero Beach,FL (box two) and after the results come up, select Cost of Living from the column on the left.

I'd give you a direct link but it will be cut by the moderator.

I've had my air conditioner on all summer and have all electric appliances. My utility bill (meter read) received yesterday is $56. I have a large two bedroom, two bathroom apartment and I was the first tenant in my apartment as the complex was brand new when I moved in. I'm pretty sure on Long Island I'd be paying over $100 for electric.

My rent is $919. A similar size apartment on Long Island in the area where I used to live is $1500 and that's what I'd pay in Maryland, too.

Normally, you could say, "Well the pay is higher on Long Island," but I'm talking about retirement and a fixed income. You could see why retirees might have more beautifully kept up houses/yards in places other than Long Island because of the extra money they would have to spend on it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:22 AM

7,658 posts, read 11,134,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It could be that because of the cost to live there people don't have a lot of extra money for exterior home maintenance like lawn service and house painting, for example. They could have nice homes but not much left over after paying for the basics.

Have you ever done a City Compare to compare the cost of living in your town versus some other place on things like groceries and utility bills? I'm retired and have a pension. I live in a no income tax state but other than that my net income would stay the same no matter where I lived. Here is the cost of living in the three most recent places I have lived - all 3 are suburban. A score of 100 indicates the national average so you look at the scores to see how much above or below 100 your town falls and of course, to compare towns to each other.

With a national average score of 100, the Cost of Living scores:

Town where I live in now in Tennessee (population 27,514) :

Utilities: 93
Groceries: 94.8
Housing: 45
Healthcare: 91

Town where I lived in Maryland (population 21,952):

Utilities: 105
Groceries: 104.6
Housing: 173
Healthcare: 109

Town where I lived on Long Island (Manorville - it's in Brookhaven Township) (population 14,184):

Utilities: 143
Groceries: 127.1
Housing: 181
Healthcare: 148

I rent and did in all 3 places but could you see how a retired homeowner might have more to spend on house beautification where I live now compared to where I lived on Long Island.

You can do your own City Compare. Just put "City Compare" in Google and it's the first site that comes up. Plug in the two towns you want to compare like this:

Example: Manorville,NY (box one) Vero Beach,FL (box two) and after the results come up, select Cost of Living from the column on the left.

I'd give you a direct link but it will be cut by the moderator.

I've had my air conditioner on all summer and have all electric appliances. My utility bill (meter read) received yesterday is $56. I have a large two bedroom, two bathroom apartment and I was the first tenant in my apartment as the complex was brand new when I moved in. I'm pretty sure on Long Island I'd be paying over $100 for electric.

My rent is $919. A similar size apartment on Long Island in the area where I used to live is $1500 and that's what I'd pay in Maryland, too.

Normally, you could say, "Well the pay is higher on Long Island," but I'm talking about retirement and a fixed income. You could see why retirees might have more beautifully kept up houses/yards in places other than Long Island because of the extra money they would have to spend on it.
Excellent point.
Nashville was one of my visits.
Even the poorer areas took care of their properties.
City was immaculate.

Crooks

Old 09-05-2009, 05:55 PM

599 posts, read 1,160,207 times
I am actually planning a trip down to tennessee next year.i honestly do not think i could live in an area that doesn't get much snow.i really do like the change of seasons.i'd love to go to maine but i really feel it would be very hard to get a job,even before this recession.i want to check out upstate as well but its still ny and they still tax you to death.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:20 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,686,948 times
I love the Smokies.... been there 3 times.... twice from texas and once from NY.... Loved the towns Pigeon Forge, Galinburgh, not sure how I would feel living there though.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,617,566 times
I think if you stay well east of Memphis you are ok. Not from personal experience living there, but we did spend 2 weeks in Memphis this winter. Awful, crime riddled, and just depressed looking.

Nashville on the other hand seemed like a gem. I have friends in the tri-cities who love it.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:33 AM

23,039 posts, read 18,007,241 times
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are tourist towns. Unless your line of work is tourist related, I wouldn't recommend moving there from Long Island because of the traffic in those 2 towns.

If you are still in the workforce, with a cheaper cost of living comes a drop in pay so don't come here from Long Island expecting to make a killing. Our unemployment rate, like other states, is high. The one way you make out is if you sell your LI house and buy here but if you come here and buy a mansion because you can, you will probably be laughed at. It's not uncommon to see trailers on large parcels of land next to a big house or a small house.

Tennessee has 3 regions. People from the northeast usually settle in the eastern part of the state but because of that, I think, unfortunately, it's the part of Tennessee most in danger of losing it's culture.

Tennessee is a great place to live if you have outdoor hobbies (fishing, hunting, bicycling, rowing, hiking, outdoor photography, birding, camping, etc.) and if you are retired and if you are retired with outdoor hobbies, even better. All of our state parks are free as is the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. No paid for permits to enter the parks or park the car unlike in other states. Tennessee never met a festival it didn't like. From mules to atomic bombs to cornbread, we celebrate it. They are usually free, too.

If you like history, this is a great place to live. There are a lot of living history events and various re-enactments throughout the state and again, many are free. I suppose the point here is if you can drive to it, there are a lot of free things you can do.

Outside of the 4 big cities and tourist towns, we celebrate traditional holidays and historic events. Most Tennessee towns have local Christmas parades, for example, and fireworks aren't illegal here. I personally enjoy the Appalachian related events and bluegrass music of East Tennessee. But in Middle Tennessee, it's primarily country music and West Tennessee, it's blues and the birth of rock and roll.

We have 4 distinct seasons but our summer is longer and more humid than Long Island. We get a lot of rain which is why Tennessee is very green, in the traditional sense of the word. Our winters are much milder. We get snow and it melts in a few hours. I live in East Tennessee, in a government town, about 23 miles north and west from downtown Knoxville. Because our winters are milder, our roads are in better shape. We have 2 time zones in the state. I think commuting times are less than Long Island but that has more to do with you guys living on an island.

We are a red state, who went for McCain, and that has two Republican senators and a conservative Democrat governor.

I suppose the biggest difference I see in Tennessee compared to Long Island, at least in the suburban area where I live and the suburban and rural places I go, is no signs of materialism or one upping your neighbor. Seriously, if you like to show off (makeup, jewelry, clothes, cars, house, yard, etc.) I don't think anyone here would pay any attention to you so this might not be the place for you if that's your sport. If you go to a festival, for example, you can't tell who is rich and who is poor by appearance unless they are tourists.

If you like the north and south shore beaches on Long Island, Tennessee is not for you. We have lakes, mountains and rivers. If shopping is a hobby and you like a lot of options, you'd be better off in one of the 4 big cities or moving someplace else. But most of all, if you are only coming for cheap and pretty, stay where you are. You won't be happy living here and if you think you are coming to change Tennessee and hope to make it more like Long Island, forget about it. It's cheap, pretty and less regulated for a reason and speaking just for myself, I'd like to see it stay that way.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 PM

311 posts, read 590,399 times
I have no idea where allllll that LI tax money goes, but they could SURE use it to perfect the landscaping around the island on main roads and things like that and make it look pretty! Once you've been to NC (which is not all it's cracked up to be, but it IS pretty), you def think LI looks run down. They need to pave every road, take the stinkin weeds out of the medians and plant some nice bushes and flowers and trees .. like Hempstead TPKE is pretty crappy looking if you look at it! I mean, Where does that money go?????

And it seems like lately when they do a makeover on a shopping centre, they just stucco over it to make it look "new". how about some pretty stone that is all the rage these days? it makes things look great! I love LI, but they need to fix it up real bad.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:03 AM

8,100 posts, read 8,708,626 times
Grew up on Long Island and have lived mainly out west for several years. My only negative comment was when visiting last summer everything looked overgrown on the sides of some of the roads.

But the Southern State Parkway and Hexkscher State Park looked just liked I remembered it from childhood.

Someone complained about strip malls? Well currently we are in FL, the land of many unhappy Long Islanders, if you want to see strip malls.

I thank God I grew up on Long Island and wouldn't trade it for anything, even Southern CA were I lived for many years.

I think anyone who grew up on LI was very lucky, The public schools were good, we had NYC at our fingertips, and the summers were the best.

Having been in FL the last two years, I thank God I wasn't educated here and neither were my kids. Good lord sometimes it feels like being in another country after living in NY and CA....LOL.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 AM

8,100 posts, read 8,708,626 times
Sorry meant Heckscher State Park.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:24 PM

6,046 posts, read 7,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Just admit that you couldn't afford to live decently in a place you really wanted to live (Manhattan or Brooklyn) and you are trying to justify it by saying LI is so wonderful.

LI is not "Funky", it staid, stuffy and materialistic on the North Shore and trashy, congested and crime ridden in many parts of the central and south shore areas.
Why would i want to live in Manhattan or Brooklyn? Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island