Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times

Advertisements

misery loves company. end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
I so ENVY you people who are living on LI. I guess the old saying is true, "You don't know what you have until it is gone." I would rather live in Section 8 housing and on food stamps on LI, than be a millionaire in a mansion in Florida.

I really mean this and if I have to do this to move back to LI, I WILL.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,951,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I so ENVY you people who are living on LI. I guess the old saying is true, "You don't know what you have until it is gone." I would rather live in Section 8 housing and on food stamps on LI, than be a millionaire in a mansion in Florida.

The only place worse to live than L.I. is Florida Good Luck with that

Old 09-10-2009, 08:45 PM

20 posts, read 32,723 times
Quote:

there are over 4000 houses foreclosed in suffolk alone. Go for it... But florida is the hotter muggier version of long island. Everyone I know who is retired thats from LI lives in FL.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 AM

Moderator cut: Quoted text deleted

Moderator cut: Orphaned comment

Mostly everyone is concerned with raising a family and your arguing about being on your own.

I looked at a new 2br house in mastic beach for 104k that I can easily own in probably 5 or 6 days. Probably even get them down to 95k - but its not practical. Wayyyyy to small. No kitchen, No dining room. I cant exactly raise a family in an extended studio apartment.

You seem to be overly literal - and have a totally different idea of comfortable. Sorry but, a tiny 1 br co-op isnt my idea of comfortable.
Can you raise a family on long island for less than 4k combined income?
Sure... can you do it comfortably? Well Depending on your idea of comfortable - probably not. In my case definitely not.

The main point that ive been stressing, that what you can get for 300k on long island... you can find in many other states for Sub 100k.

Moderator cut: Off topic/Please do not post individual RE links

Compared to a 3br 1 b in mastic that I personally looked at that needed alot of work, and one of the BR was the size of a walk in closet.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-11-2009 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: Removed quoted text, orphaned posts, individual RE links

Old 09-11-2009, 08:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Moderator cut: Not necessary

Quote:
When LI was less crowded, it WAS a better place to live. No argument from anyone can dispute that.
Really? Wouldn't that depend on the area? The vast majority of the houses and developments for Nassau and Western Suffolk are 50+ years old.

Quote:
Who said whoever stays on LI are idiots? I never did. As for moving off LI, many folks are able to discern that another place in our wonderful country can offer a better quality of life. You do not appear to be one of them just another LIer who thinks LI is the center of the Universe and doesn't know any better.
I definitely do not think LI is the center of the universe...but it's not the awful place you and others like you make it out to be.

Quote:
We just got tired of sitting in traffic all the time, taxes that keep rising with a reduction in services, and decided to leave
news flash - most suburbs of major cities have traffic. This is hardly unique to LI. And the taxes relate to the affordibility issue in my first post.

What else didn't you like? lol....

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-11-2009 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: Not necessary, thanks

Old 09-11-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I definitely do not think LI is the center of the universe...but it's not the awful place you and others like you make it out to be. .
Its pretty bad but thats also in a comparison. If LI is the only place you have ever experienced, then it seems ok. However, traveling through out the country will make LI look like a dump. Dont you find it a little unnerving that the highest point on the island IS a dump? LI is my native home, but I have lived in many places in the US and LI is definitely one of the last places I want to raise a family. Not the very last, but definitely at the bottom.

Quote:
news flash - most suburbs of major cities have traffic. This is hardly unique to LI.
Not true. Places like Buffalo, Milwaukee, Salt Lake city, have very little traffic issues. Pittsburgh which is my favorite city traveled had 1 traffic issue the whole time i was there.
Raleigh NC has no traffic problems.

New York and Philly are definitely hands down the worst places Ive ever traveled traffic wise. But Philly isnt even a close second. And Im including the surrounding sub urbs.

Traffic happens everywhere... But LI and NYC traffic is definitely the worst ive ever experienced. Im sure there are worse places, but its still bad.

Quote:
And the taxes relate to the affordibility issue in my first post.
Taxes are the highest in America. For what ever reason, they are still ridiculous and unnecessary. My mother has a house in medford and pays 600 a month for taxes alone. I still have a home on LI but only because family is keeping me from leaving.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland2anywhere View Post
Its pretty bad but thats also in a comparison. If LI is the only place you have ever experienced, then it seems ok. However, traveling through out the country will make LI look like a dump.
That depends on the area. LI has it's hell holes and so-so areas...but it also has some beautiful areas as well...areas that rank up there with many of the best areas in the country.

Quote:
Dont you find it a little unnerving that the highest point on the island IS a dump?
nope, because I don't live anywhere near it. That goes for most of the "talking points" many of you love to bring up when bashing the island. I know those negatives are out there...but they're not a part of the every day expereince for many Long Islanders...including myself.

Moderator cut: Off topic

Quote:
New York and Philly are definitely hands down the worst places Ive ever traveled traffic wise. But Philly isnt even a close second. And Im including the surrounding suburbs.

Traffic happens everywhere... But LI and NYC traffic is definitely the worst ive ever experienced. Im sure there are worse places, but its still bad.
Obviously traffic is a pain...but it's not like there aren't ways around it. Many people simply move closer to their job or commute via LIRR. It's not unheard of. There isn't a law that says you have to sit in traffic on the LIE every day.

Quote:
Taxes are the highest in America. For what ever reason, they are still ridiculous and unnecessary. My mother has a house in medford and pays 600 a month for taxes alone. I still have a home on LI but only because family is keeping me from leaving.
do I wish my taxes were lower? Of course. But my tax bill does not affect my lifestyle in any meaningful way - so I'm not about to pick up and leave because of it.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-11-2009 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but
If you had to move without any profit from a home sale in NY, how well do you think you would have done?

Peter B,

She/He/It says that to anyone who leaves the Island, so don't take it personal. Nice house and boat pictures. Isn't nice to have and even better to actually afford it. I made the mistake of posting my new home compared to my old house on L.I. Lets just say that didn't go over to well. I'm glad everything has worked out for you and your family. I don't know why people get so upset when one tries to better themselves.......maybe there just sick of their own situation... whatever.
I do ask that question and I think it's a good one. The responses are all varied and interesting according to the person's earning power in their new location and the new location they chose. Peter said he wouldn't do that well in MI, you said that in VA only your wife's salary would fund it all easily, Slynn said she would do just as well in NC.

As for your pictures of former home vs. new one "not going over too well" you know very well that was not why people got peeved at you.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:

You sound like my mom. She is planning to move back to LI from FL next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island