Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 05:16 PM

17 posts, read 25,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
For me, that (in bold) was the case. I'd complain endlessly about the climate, but always thought Long Island was worth putting up with it. When I grew up family vacations were 'Out East' (nice lil' North Shore places in Suffolk that I still love to visit), so Long Island truly was all I knew.
I started to see more of the country a few years ago and though I do believe NYC can't be beat in terms of culture and 'feel', there are suburbs around the country near cool cities that offer more bang for your buck.
I don't know if it's Long Island that has changed or if it's just that I have changed, but I'd like to relocate as soon as possible.
I do agree with those who are saying Long Island is too populated. I have a great deal of patience ... never get road rage, don't mind waiting in lines at the grocery store, etc., but I'm starting to realize those minor issues are having some sort of cumulative effect and are slowly beginning to wear on my nerves.
funny!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
with you on this Crooks, I grew up here in the 60s . The golden era was when kids played in the streets , only one family lived in a one family home, there was great shopping in Hempstead, Garden City and Riverhead, and you could hang out at the schoolyard and not feel threatened. There might be a candy store in your neighborhood with a soda fountain with stools, you could hang there also.
I'm thinking the change may be related to the fact that in the 60s, there was a plethora of young families everywhere, not too many older/retired .. today LI is a mix of young families , middle age and retired folks.
Too much garbage in the streets now. Too many Walgreens, CVS stores. Ugly strip malls everywhere. Where the kids go in summer is beyond me ... never see any of them outside.
What do you care where the kids play lifetimeliguy?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^I know, but I'm just letting them know we're teachers since that seems to make a difference here.
Does it really?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^I'm a city teacher, not a LI teacher. Not that much of a difference though. I'd rather stay in the city, since our jobs are a lot more secure than LI teachers. They can be laid off a lot easier than we can.
Who cares Rachael84 why does it sound like every comment you make you're bragging.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Wow over 6,000 posts in 2 years Maybe you should start having kids now, to fill the oblivious void in your life Maybe then you'll start facing reality. I Got married young and bought my first home on LI @ 25 in 1994. Yes two incomes and paying 150,000 for a home it was easy. A little over two years later my wife gave birth to twin boys and then a couple of years later my beautiful girl was born. Taxes on my postage stamp was around 4,800. By the time I sold last year it was over 10k. Home owners insurance more than doubled, electric,water,cable,oil practically double over the years. Add the fact of the three children's expenses over the years and you'll see how much you will be saving. I've been there done that as many other posters have also. I retired also last year @ the age of 38 and have a nice pension and health benefits for my myself and family. But now that I moved I could start saving again in a big way. I don't care what anybody says The Island is a very costly place to live and even more so when children are involved. You'll see what were all talking about down the road.............
Hey BigMike50 I think you're on to something when it comes to our little Rachael84

Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Some people don't like the urban setting. I like getting up and walking down the block to the beach. It's personal preference. I could afford to live in Manhattan if I wanted to. I like having the beach, my car and my family nearby.
Ok Jdawg8181. With a name like that what do you do? Sounds a litle questionable.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
And sadly youll be Middle Class.
Ha that's one for the books.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
I have never been so discouraged about moving to Long Island after reading this thread.
Ah poor baby and I meant that in a good way.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 PM

Yeah OOOOKAY Anyone any comments. Why is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I so ENVY you people who are living on LI. I guess the old saying is true, "You don't know what you have until it is gone." I would rather live in Section 8 housing and on food stamps on LI, than be a millionaire in a mansion in Florida.

I really mean this and if I have to do this to move back to LI, I WILL.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:32 PM

The trick is to travel to the ends of the earth and then maybe you'll find your happy places No but seriously if you want to stay ahead of the game maybe if you want to retire in Florida maybe you should go where people who already live in Florida and you might be happy and Hey one step ahead of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland2anywhere View Post
there are over 4000 houses foreclosed in suffolk alone. Go for it... But florida is the hotter muggier version of long island. Everyone I know who is retired thats from LI lives in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island