Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:57 PM

22,157 posts, read 19,397,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Throughout my military career whenever I came home on leave I could gauge what I called the wave of grafitti that was travelling further up the Island from JFK or Laguardia like the plague. Now with taxes, crime, poverty etc I think our better days are behind us. I was born in The city, lived in queens, my family wanted better and moved to hicksville, now I'm in Suffolk..........before you know it I'll be in montauk escaping by boat.

In between all of the above I've lived throughout the US and europe and besides the maybe 2 months of beach weather Long Island fell off my list of top 10's. Unless the 80's LI was a choice. I moved back here a few years ago and their are good moments like fall harvest, some spring days, and a good snowfall when everything is white and quiet but they dont equal up to the other 300 days.

Lets face it we were robbed this past summer by rainfall ansd cool temperatures. I wanna slap Al gore silly.

You complain about crime, but say the late 70's and early 80's was the golden time for LI (crime was higher during that time than it is now). Not sure what the 08 numbers were and the 09 stats obviously aren't out yet, but in 2007 Nassau had it lowest crime rate in something like 43 years, and Suffolk had its lowest or 2nd lowest crime rate in the last 35-40 years or so as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,322,094 times
With the increasing taxes and high cost of living I think its becoming harder for families to maintain the same standard of living.... maybe some areas did change for the better, I love it here, but the current state and direction is not encouraging.... I don't think New york will be on the most happiest cities list.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:02 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,122,200 times
Couldnt agree more. As the other poster stated I think LI flourished in the 80's. New strip malls were built everywhere and were "new". Now were almost 30years later and nothing has been touched. I mean have you seen the new shopping complex's that are being built in other cities? They are beautiful. And better yet their old store fronts are being rennovated. Lets not get into the grafitti tags. Its becoming disgusting.....Queens here we come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Agreed.

We just look old and beat.

Crooks

Old 09-03-2009, 04:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,838,163 times
what towns?

I must live in a bubble... a happy bubble at that.

If it's doom and gloom here, it must be a ton worse elsewhere.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,885,818 times
Quote:
I actually think Queens and Brooklyn have improved at the Islands expense.

Is all realive.

If youre serving a life sentence since the 60-70s ...you're more in touch with the change.

Crooks

I guess I don't have much to compare to since I was born in 1984; after you say that the island started losing its luster. We moved to LI from Queens when I was 3. Anywhere was better than NYC in the 80s, lol.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
All is well, beautiful place to live, but, .....the trash, it's gotta go, I don't know how long it's been this way but it's rediculous.

I don't know if it's from a higher concentration of slobs or poor public sanitation. Regardless, let's fix this problem already! It's a crime that such a nice place is so badly tainted by litter. Everywhere I've lived municipalities have figurred out how to keep a clean and somewhat manicured facade. why can't Long Island?
Plenty of places on LI still do.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM

518 posts, read 1,817,475 times
long island is just an overpriced rich-people playground. even the "less desireable" places arent affordable for many people on a single income. if i wasnt born and raised here and didnt have family here, i wouldnt really see any reason to live here.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:33 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,393,180 times
Quote:
I actually think Queens and Brooklyn have improved at the Islands expense.

Is all realive.

If youre serving a life sentence since the 60-70s ...you're more in touch with the change.

Crooks

Growing up in Queens, and moving to the island 15 yrs ago, i would have to agree. Queens has probably gotten better, while the island is getting a little tired looking.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:59 PM

347 posts, read 1,349,683 times
I agree about the postings mentioning the trash. It is shameful how many slobs are on Long Island. How someone can just throw something out their window just boggles my mind.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:24 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,575,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You complain about crime, but say the late 70's and early 80's was the golden time for LI (crime was higher during that time than it is now). Not sure what the 08 numbers were and the 09 stats obviously aren't out yet, but in 2007 Nassau had it lowest crime rate in something like 43 years, and Suffolk had its lowest or 2nd lowest crime rate in the last 35-40 years or so as well.
The crime rate may be better but my opinion is basically that of crooks. LI isn't the same as it was years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island