Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:37 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Throughout my military career whenever I came home on leave I could gauge what I called the wave of grafitti that was travelling further up the Island from JFK or Laguardia like the plague. Now with taxes, crime, poverty etc I think our better days are behind us. I was born in The city, lived in queens, my family wanted better and moved to hicksville, now I'm in Suffolk..........before you know it I'll be in montauk escaping by boat.

In between all of the above I've lived throughout the US and europe and besides the maybe 2 months of beach weather Long Island fell off my list of top 10's. Unless the 80's LI was a choice. I moved back here a few years ago and their are good moments like fall harvest, some spring days, and a good snowfall when everything is white and quiet but they dont equal up to the other 300 days.

Lets face it we were robbed this past summer by rainfall and cool temperatures. I wanna slap Al gore silly.
Funniest Post ever!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Just got back from vacation and all I can say is - yup. Coming off the Verrazano Bridge, it's all down hill from there. Not to mention the fact that it took 90 minutes to get from the Verrazano to my house in very western Nassau...I have had enough. It was really depressing coming home.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Isnt it getting worse? I used to leave Philly around 9 am and be in Islip by 11:30. For the last 2 years..forgetaboutit. Its been a horror show. There is only 1 time to leave the island - 4 am. And the only time to come back is after 8 pm. Not to mention the $11 charge to cross the Verrazano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Just got back from vacation and all I can say is - yup. Coming off the Verrazano Bridge, it's all down hill from there. Not to mention the fact that it took 90 minutes to get from the Verrazano to my house in very western Nassau...I have had enough. It was really depressing coming home.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:34 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
there were times coming back from central jersey on a sunday afternoon/evening that it took me 4 hours to get from there to brentwood, thru the verrazano and belt... a drive which takes me an hour and 15 mins in the early morning with no traffic... its sad

Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
My DH almost drove off the road when he saw the toll is now $11. No one ever seems to stop and say "what's wrong with this picture" which is why we are being taxed up the ying-yang and there's no going back.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:28 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
I stated these exact facts a few months ago. I even posted a few pictures to reiterate my points. I was bashed,ridiculed called a troll and was almost burnt at the stake. Just moving cut my overall expenses around 40% and that doesn't include the stress of living on the Island. My two brothers spent the weekend with me and both couldn't believe how nice the area and people are here. Life does exist outside of the Island, many people don't believe that.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Hmmm....is it any coincidence that everyone saying the "golden age" of LI was 70s-80s was also probably younger, lighter and better looking back then?

Let me guess....the music was also much better in the 70s-80s.......and so was television....and movies....and there used to be this burger joint...blahblahlbalhblah

This is just a bunch of nostalgia. Long Island has been EXACTLY THE FREAKING SAME since they built Levittown and every other post-war suburban development of the 1950s....seriously, they have numbers for these sorts of things. The island has grown very little in the last 50 years....we've just gotten newer strip malls, wider roads and more cars clogging them up. Demographically and economically there has been basically zero change.

I would have loved to have seen LI before WWII. Nassau had a population density comparable to the North Fork of 2009...totally different place.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
I don't see what people are complaining about with costs. My husband and I (no kids yet, mid/late 20s) make a middle class salary, and we still manage to save $1500-2000 a month.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 PM

23 posts, read 97,490 times
I moved two years ago but my parents are still on LI so I do visit from time to time. You would be amazed at how other counties care about their communities . There is a lot more littering than I remember from 2 years ago or maybe it is opposed to where I live now. The biggest difference I see is that when there is too much garbage , people complain and organize to have it stopped . If something is wrong, people rally together and write to their local paper .Since LI is getting so populated , more and more little things get overlooked. My town is meticulous when it comes to pride in the town. I know that some villages have more local people who get involved in the towns on LI than the more populated towns. Anyways, just my opinion, Im sure it depends on the town .

Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 PM

239 posts, read 612,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
No doubt.

Better than Flint Michigan perhaps.

Heres the existential LI questions.

Are we still what we think we are?

Does the diamond still shine for all ...or is it all we know?

Crooks
For me, that (in bold) was the case. I'd complain endlessly about the climate, but always thought Long Island was worth putting up with it. When I grew up family vacations were 'Out East' (nice lil' North Shore places in Suffolk that I still love to visit), so Long Island truly was all I knew.
I started to see more of the country a few years ago and though I do believe NYC can't be beat in terms of culture and 'feel', there are suburbs around the country near cool cities that offer more bang for your buck.
I don't know if it's Long Island that has changed or if it's just that I have changed, but I'd like to relocate as soon as possible.
I do agree with those who are saying Long Island is too populated. I have a great deal of patience ... never get road rage, don't mind waiting in lines at the grocery store, etc., but I'm starting to realize those minor issues are having some sort of cumulative effect and are slowly beginning to wear on my nerves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island