Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:09 AM

398 posts, read 837,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There are so many people on this forum who are so negative about the island. Don't forget, he and I are teachers and are retiring at 50 years old with plenty of money saved, and we don't need to pay a penny for family health care. We also plan on doing tutoring on the side, especially when I'm on maternity leave
Love that teachers mentality, fortunetly you have been singing the right tune. You will be fine both being teachers and having your gauranteed job and low health care costs and gauranteed pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjrinaz View Post
I left Long Island the first time when I was 22 for work and have lived in North Carolina, Arizona and Oregon. Amazing, but true, there are things to do outside of Long Island. Every major city has good restaurants, night clubs, bars, recreational activities, beaches (ocean or lake) and jobs. I would be amazed at the questions I would get from people on Long Island when I would come home to visit, especially when I was living in Oregon and had an OR driver license that I had to show at hotels, car places, stores, etc. Questions like, what the hell is there in Oregon, how do you get here from there, does Oregon have an airport, what do people do for work in Oregon, do you really make any money in Oregon, do you have stores.

Amazes me how small minded people on Long Island can be. Don't get me wrong I love Long Island and have a house there I would never sell, but the people there need to get out and travel some and see the country. My usuall response to the above questions were, yes there is an airport, Portland Oregon has over 2 million people in the metro area, and yes people make good money, there are Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc dealerships and people buy them.. The best response I got to that once was from a cashier at Boston Market in Hicksville when he said, " no sh** man, really?"

Long story short on this one, Long Island and NY isn't the only place in the country where there are things to do. With that being said, I love Long Island and always will. Its my home and someday I will live there again full time. Main reason, to be around family....
Depends on what you want to do. The other day I went from Fire Island, to a Yankees game, and had theater tickets for Broadway that night. Not many places in the world where that can be achieved. I do agree that people on Long Island need to get out more, but that can be said for almost any part of the country. However, if you have the money, there are not many places like the NYC metro area for ways to spend it.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Depends on what you want to do. The other day I went from Fire Island, to a Yankees game, and had theater tickets for Broadway that night. Not many places in the world where that can be achieved. I do agree that people on Long Island need to get out more, but that can be said for almost any part of the country. However, if you have the money, there are not many places like the NYC metro area for ways to spend it.
Well said. And if you look hard enough you can find many things to do that are free or very cheap. It's getting around that really sucks.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:07 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Zilch to do seriously you have to be kidding I don't even live there but visit often. This is just 1/25 of things....
Bars & Pubs
GLBT Bars & Clubs
Cinema
Comedy Clubs
Dance Clubs
Entertainment Districts
Internet Lounge
Live Music Venues
Martini & Cigar Lounges
Private Clubs
Sports Bar
Collegiate/Amateur Sports
Professional Sports
Recreational Sports
Sporting Events

• Museums (http://www.visitraleigh.com/visit/thingstodo/museum.html - broken link)

• Nightlife
  • Outdoor Recreation (http://www.visitraleigh.com/visit/things_to_do/outdoor_recreation/ - broken link)
  • Performing Arts
  • Restaurants (http://www.visitraleigh.com/visit/dining.html - broken link)
  • Science & Technology
  • Shopping
  • Spectator Sports
  • Visual Arts (http://www.visitraleigh.com/visit/thingstodo/visual_arts.html - broken link)
  • Tours & Itineraries (http://www.visitraleigh.com/visit/things_to_do/tours_itineraries - broken link)
?

When did c-d start posting Ads by Google into posts like this?

oh, wait....

Old 06-28-2011, 02:44 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
?

When did c-d start posting Ads by Google into posts like this?

oh, wait....

I don't understand what you're saying

Ads by Google have been in every thread since the creation of this site

Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM

324 posts, read 335,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Long Island is a great place to live if you can afford it! If you can't, then it can be a miserable place. For a person who lives in the middle part of the island and never leaves their house, it's pretty bad. However, if you boat and go to the beach, love going into the city to catch a show, like going to sports venues, and travel alot (especially Europe), then it is an ideal place to live.

You can make a lot of arguments for moving to other places. I have a lot of family that moved down to RDU. It's great that they can get a big house on a chunk of land. But, a lot of them realized what I told them. After 5 years the warts start to show on their new house and their is zilch to do around there. It's god awful hot, and a lake just doesn't cut it for a family that regularly went to Fire Island and Jones Beach.
Not 100% zilch to do, there's always ladies night at the local track dem be a serfissicatud bunch in tarnation!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM

181 posts, read 303,892 times
It lost it 30 years ago.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiunion View Post
It lost it 30 years ago.

Archie Bunker is turning over in His Grave Because of all the Change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island