U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:06 PM

467 posts, read 419,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The "average" town is a desolate nobody place if your culture is New York culture.
Well if you believe the average town has nothing to offer, you're clearly uninformed and uneducated on such beliefs and experiences. I moved to North Carolina when I was just out of elementary school, and I know what I was getting right from the start. A nice college town with opportunities, good schools, weather, and good college sports, restaurants. Maybe not of the same variety, but I know i'm getting something there wasn't in Long Island. A Diverse, Realistic, Reality where real people exist, it's a change, but a good change, and I'm glad to know what the real world is like

Last edited by TarheelsMatt; 09-06-2009 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: Had to add detail to prove a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,917,376 times
There are different strokes for different folks. Out of the thirty-eight states I have been to and four continents I have visited it is almost impossible to duplicate the cosmopolitan ethnic character of New York. The Southern cites are nice places filled with fine people but they have a homogeneous culture that is foreign to my sensibilities. If I was to move back down there I would always think about going home. My roots are in ethnic New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
Well if you believe the average town has nothing to offer, you're clearly uninformed and uneducated on such beliefs and experiences. I moved to North Carolina when I was just out of elementary school, and I know what I was getting right from the start. A nice college town with opportunities, good schools, weather, and good college sports, restaurants. Maybe not of the same variety, but I know i'm getting something there wasn't in Long Island. A Diverse, Realistic, Reality where real people exist, it's a change, but a good change, and I'm glad to know what the real world is like

Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 AM

123 posts, read 182,605 times
Spidaman--ditto going to the NC board for research. Two great towns are Cary and Apex. Also great website for homes is fmrealty.com. Just put in the two towns above and see what houses are available. The best thing to do is come down and drive around to get a feel for the area. That is what we did and after 2 or 3 trips we narrowed it down to Apex.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 AM

7,338 posts, read 7,848,799 times
It doesn't make much sense to move to NC if your can't adapt to not having good bagels and pizza. And New Yorkers call people from the south closed minded.

"Hey,yo where yous got some pie ova hey?"

"Yo, I dontz get why deez rednecks don like us down hey? What's de problem?"

Old 09-07-2009, 10:15 AM

9,127 posts, read 10,699,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It doesn't make much sense to move to NC if your can't adapt to not having good bagels and pizza. And New Yorkers call people from the south closed minded.

"Hey,yo where yous got some pie ova hey?"

"Yo, I dontz get why deez rednecks don like us down hey? What's de problem?"
In a nutshell

Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,415,687 times
Quote:
Long Island has good schools, good weather, and restaurants. So we don't really have college towns or college sports except maybe Hofstra, but so what? There is so much more to things and life than sports.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:40 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,685,004 times
Quote:
You moved from Long Island at age 11 or 12, that is much different than an adult who has lived in NY for 40 yrs.

You grew up in NC, not Long Island. If you had moved to NC when you were 35 or 60 you would have a different attitude.

I grew up on Long Island, so I don't get your comments about it not being diverse and realistic.

But you can't compare a child moving from one state to another to an adult and expect the same experience.

I remember speaking to someone in Phoenix who referred themselves as a New Yorker even though they lived in AZ since age 5...LOL. Trying to have a dissusssion with NY transplants who arrived in AZ after 50 yrs of living in NYC.

Completely different life experience.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Long Island has good schools, good weather, and restaurants. So we don't really have college towns or college sports except maybe Hofstra, but so what? There is so much more to things and life than sports.
You left out Dowling, CW Post, and Stony Brook.

The problem with most southern states is you have chain restaurants more than you do privately owned places, and too much emphasis on sports and not education.

I thank God I grew up on Long Island. Have lived all over the country(mainly out west) and I have to say you have an edge when you have access to NYC in your own backyard.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,415,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You left out Dowling, CW Post, and Stony Brook.

The problem with most southern states is you have chain restaurants more than you do privately owned places, and too much emphasis on sports and not education.

I thank God I grew up on Long Island. Have lived all over the country(mainly out west) and I have to say you have an edge when you have access to NYC in your own backyard.
I left them out intentionally b/c from a sports perspective isn't Hofstra the biggest? Like, I could be wrong, but I don't know anyone who is into CW POst sports teams or Dowling sports teams...but some people I know follow Hofstra.

Ditto on all you said above.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I left them out intentionally b/c from a sports perspective isn't Hofstra the biggest? Like, I could be wrong, but I don't know anyone who is into CW POst sports teams or Dowling sports teams...but some people I know follow Hofstra.

Ditto on all you said above.
I am not sure. But you see there in lies the difference. The southern states think of sports first when it comes to colleges.

In the north and other places education comes first, sports are secondary.

I find it funny that someone like Tarheels thinks they know NY when they left as a child.

How can suburban NYC not be diverse? Especially compared to a place like NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island