Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Maybe cops and teachers would take a 30% to 50% pay cut?? I don't know, I'd like to see a real comparison. The salary.com type sites give you percentages, but how do we know if they are accurate? I'd like to talk to someone in another state with the same job title in the same type of company.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_204_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/dept/public/Dept-AboutUs-Police.html (broken link)

Check out that salary!!! Ain't no one on the SCPD moving down there..not until they retire, anyway.

I agree, maybe cops and teachers or state workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
I agree, maybe cops and teachers or state workers.

Depends on what you do..someone working in finance or engineering as a state worker would make about the same, looking at the City of Raleighs site.

Looks like my wife would take about a 35% pay cut as a teacher....scpd on base salary alone would take close to a 50% pay cut, never mind how much on pension and health insurance they'd take a hit. No, SCPD isn't fleecing anyone, nothing to see here.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Arguing over gas prices is silly and mostly pennies anyway - if you check your facts you'll see it's cheaper elsewhere overall. Things will be more expensive - groceries are for SURE. But, again this isn't the problem. It's the overall housing nut (PnI, taxes, insurance, utilities, etc) that is so far out of whack it dwarfs the other spending categories.

It's funny that the exact jobs that everyone complains about being overpaid here on LI (mostly public sector ones contributing to the tax burden) are the ones that would take the biggest cut moving away... How doesn't this scream of how horribly inefficient the bureaucracy is on LI? At every level!

In contrast, many professionals would take a smaller and more reasonable salary cut moving to the Triangle or Charlotte area - if you can find a job in this tough economy. That's the other key factor.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 PM

14 posts, read 40,757 times
Moved from Long Island and find expenses much less than Long Island. Taxes on my home on Long Island were $14,000/yr. In North Carolina $2600. I will assimilate.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:29 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL AND BARBARA View Post
Moved from Long Island and find expenses much less than Long Island. Taxes on my home on Long Island were $14,000/yr. In North Carolina $2600. I will assimilate.
What is the requirement to be a teacher, an 8th grade education?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:37 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What is so difficult to understand. If someone making 70k leaves NY and heads south and gets a job making 40K they just took a 30K cut in salary.

So their property taxes go down lets say 7K a year, they're now worse off then they were in NY because of the salary reduction.

Unless someone is making a lateral salary move due to a company transfer it is very easy for people to fall into the trap of "cheaper living".

Especially when they find out it isn't as cost effective as they thought it was going to be and have now taken a huge salary cut.

They can easily end up further behind than they were in NY.

Last year when gas was at all time high, the states that were struggling the most were all in the south(including Florida).

Even though gas was more expensive in CA and NY, people had higher incomes and it wasn't hurting them as it was in the southern states.

Excellent point. My parents recently moved to S.C (right outside of Charlotte). I was laid off earlier in the year from my job in the financial sector, and as a result debated on going down there with them. However, I decided to stay here without a job then go down there (even though I could have lived with them, and had more savings in addition to the lower cost of living). First off the job market is even worse down there than it is here. Granted its bad all over, but the Charlotte area has been hit particularly hard (Raleigh is a bit better).

Granted at this point if you can find a job in whatever you will take it, but in the overall area I have the experience in, and for someone entry level or with 2-3 years experience such as myself the differences in salaries are 25-30% for a similar position with similar experience. Even prior to being laid off I looked into it a bit (well my mom did since she wanted me to go down there) and pretty much the exact same job I had up here, would be a 33% pay cut down there.

If you are a retiring couple (my dad retired last March), if you can transfer down there and keep the same salary or if you are in a field in which the salary differences aren't that large it makes sense to go down there. If you don't fall into those categories I would not recommend it, unless you are sitting on a ton of equity that you know you wind up with enough in savings as a result. One thing I would not to is leave a job and go down there with no job lined up, and that pretty much goes for everywhere, no matter where you are moving to or from, and pretty much anytime as well, though even more so with economic conditions the way they have been for the last year and a half or so.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:18 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Bill & Barbara pay no attention to this post. We all know that alot of people here think that the only educated people are those who live within NY. People tend forget that there are alot of people living just fine beyond the bridges and tunnels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post

Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Bashing the schools in NC. That's fine, but there are schools down there rated on par with LI Schools, especially in the Chapel Hill area, there are 3 good High Schools from what I can see. Now, once you get into inner city areas, or very rural areas, the schools overall stink, but that's why you have to be particular about where you move when you are looking.

A 30% reduction in salary with a 40% reduction in living expenses is something that a lot of people would consider strongly. The lifestyle you live here with 150K family income is doable there probably for 80 or 90K. A house that you "settle for" here on LI...a 50 year old semi-updated cape in a good school district that you end up paying 350K for and $8500 a year in taxes? That type of house down there is 200K MAYBE and the taxes are a fraction. Of course, nobody from here moves down there into an old house..they move into 2500 sq ft houses that are less than 10 years old and costs 250-400K. Maybe that's why they get into trouble.

You have to crunch the numbers. Of course, I would never move without getting a job first, and you should always rent for awhile to make sure that's where you want to be.

Of course, if you're a cop, a teacher, or making 150K as one person working in Manhattan, you aren't going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island